• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Infinite Stratos Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

Just read the Light Novels (LN) instead of the crappy CGI''s. Anyway does this CGI's reminds me from Cel Damage from EA Games. Now that's resources.

So is this like Candidate for Goddess?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

Just read the Light Novels (LN) instead of the crappy CGI''s. Anyway does this CGI's reminds me from Cel Damage from EA Games. Now that's resources.

Close but no cigar, the character were shallow man.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

Close but no cigar, the character were shallow man.

Oh man, imagine if IS ends like that show did. Bandai must have taken a bath with that one.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
What is with Sentai? Most of their releases are either harem, magical, or ecchi anime.

I think there's not a whole lot of other companies out there licensing that sort of stuff at the moment? My guess is that their strategy is to capture that particular niche of fan that other companies aren't catering to as much.

(This is off the top of my head, though, sooo I might be forgetting about another company that's licensing that sort of thing...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
This has to be a record

Several shows have been pre-licensed, I believe the most recent was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood being pre-licensed by a week. I think the record for quickest license is probably the time that Geneon announced the licensing of Samurai Champloo right when it was announced months before the first episode aired.
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
Well, while it's cool that somebody's already picked up one of the new Winter shows... Why Infinite Stratos? It's not bad, but there are some much better shows this season. Hopefully this is only the first such announcement. ^^
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
What is with Sentai? Most of their releases are either harem, magical, or ecchi anime.

eh? Some? yes. Most? no.. though I'd have no complaints even if that were true. They license many types of shows including those, which is why they're great (well, except for how handle BD releases).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
By the way, for anybody keeping score, the last time Funi announced a license for a previously unreleased anime TV series for physical media distribution (as opposed to just simulcasting) was on August 13th of last year: Ga-Rei Zero. Since that time, Sentai has announced 11 licenses for previously unreleased anime TV series: Utakata, Taisho Baseball Girls, Nyan Koi!, 11eyes, Koihime Muso, Shin Koihime Muso, Shin Koihime Muso: Otome Tairan, Kampfer, Needless, Akane-Iro ni Samoru Saka, and now Infinite Stratos.

This fuels my fears that Funi's uncertainty with Navarre has caused them to pull back on acquiring licenses for anime TV series for physical media distribution.

Or maybe FUNimation has set the bar higher for what they will license. When you're putting out hits like Evangelion, Hetalia: Axis Powers, Black Butler, FMA, Dragon Ball Z and doing theatrical releases, do you really go after titles like UtaKata and 11eyes?

I wasn't trying to suggest that Funi license any of those particular titles; it and Sentai are clearly going after different shows. My point is that in the past 5 months, Funi has announced absolutely no new anime TV series licenses for physical distribution. I find that a bit troubling. As somebody else pointed out in a different thread yesterday, Funi has a pretty decent backlog of stuff still to come out, but I worry its impending sale/non-sale has put a kibosh on it acquiring new titles. I hope I'm wrong.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It must have been pretty cheap due to how bad it is. Razz

Agreed. Razz But as toyNN said, it's harem/mecha, so it's a surefire bet to make some money... and this kind of show was always ADV's shtick, so no big surprise that Sentai got the license in my opinion.

ArthurFrDent wrote:
there ain't no justice.

Tanj indeed. Especially with Kimi ni Todoke still out in the cold. Futz, man.

hikaru004 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
By the way, for anybody keeping score, the last time Funi announced a license for a previously unreleased anime TV series for physical media distribution (as opposed to just simulcasting) was on August 13th of last year: Ga-Rei Zero. Since that time, Sentai has announced 11 licenses for previously unreleased anime TV series: Utakata, Taisho Baseball Girls, Nyan Koi!, 11eyes, Koihime Muso, Shin Koihime Muso, Shin Koihime Muso: Otome Tairan, Kampfer, Needless, Akane-Iro ni Samoru Saka, and now Infinite Stratos.

This fuels my fears that Funi's uncertainty with Navarre has caused them to pull back on acquiring licenses for anime TV series for physical media distribution.

Or maybe FUNimation has set the bar higher for what they will license. When you're putting out hits like Evangelion, Hetalia: Axis Powers, Black Butler, FMA, Dragon Ball Z and doing theatrical releases, do you really go after titles like UtaKata and 11eyes?

Yeah, I'm still not seeing reason to be concerned for Funi. If nothing else they're currently staging a theatrical release for a certain huge anime movie, which I'd say is a sign of good health.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
My guess is that the unnamed Japanese partner in Sentai has an in at TBS, thus giving Sentai an advanage for getting shows TBS is involved in - that said, I would bet Funi still gets first crack at any shows. I am assuming and hoping this will make an appearance on AN shortly. The show so far is pretty meh, but the mech action looked good, and it is too early to judge. I am hopeful it will turn out pretty good.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Wow that was quick.

Maybe they will give it some sort of simultaneous treatment.
AFAICT, the last show they got with TBS in the production committee was Kaicho wa Maid-sama which was a "delaycast". I don't think TBS has participated in a simulcast since Linebarrels of Iron got picked up by Crunchyroll mid-season (well, Crunchyroll replaced the bootleg with the legit stream mid-season ~ it was right when they first went legit). They may be the company that is referred to when its mentioned that there is a company involved in anime that has decided that simulcasts aren't worth the trouble.

With the cluster of companies organization of neo-ADV, Sentai announced the acquisition, Section23 will announce what will happen with DVD's, and TAN will announce what will happen to streaming / VOD.

RisikaFox wrote:
Well, while it's cool that somebody's already picked up one of the new Winter shows... Why Infinite Stratos? It's not bad, but there are some much better shows this season. Hopefully this is only the first such announcement. ^^
TAN has not been going for a lot of new shows each season ~ the other TBS series, and therefore its chances for getting simulcast discounted a bit, is Yumekui Merry, so if TAN wanted to go with two delaycasts, they might pick that up.

Other than that, with Wolverine going to G4 later in the year and Kimi no Todoke 2 not having its first season streamed, its Mahou Shoujo Madoko*Magica, Feezing, the incest show, and Suite PreCure starting next month. Its not really all that much left to be picked up.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
My guess is that the unnamed Japanese partner in Sentai has an in at TBS, thus giving Sentai an advanage for getting shows TBS is involved in - that said, I would bet Funi still gets first crack at any shows. I am assuming and hoping this will make an appearance on AN shortly. The show so far is pretty meh, but the mech action looked good, and it is too early to judge. I am hopeful it will turn out pretty good.

With Sentai back acquiring licenses regularly, NIS and Aniplex in the fold, and Media Blasters and Bandai getting back in the swing of things, no one really has a first shot at EVERY show. They may have relationships with certain companies that give them advantages, and in some cases agreements that give them first look rights, but there is no one company that gets a first shot at everything. It still comes down to bidding on many shows and who's willing to offer the most money and the best terms.

The vast majority of TBS and Showgate owned properties have come out via Sentai here, while most Gonzo and Geneon shows have come through Funimation. There are always some notable exceptions, such as Bandai winning K-On!, or Sentai nabbing High School of The Dead (which if Funi really did have first shot at everything would not have happened.).

Anyway, this is getting simulcasted for free, so we will all be able to check it out for ourselves soon.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With Sentai back acquiring licenses regularly, NIS and Aniplex in the fold, and Media Blasters and Bandai getting back in the swing of things, no one really has a first shot at any show.

... or Sentai nabbing High School of The Dead (which if Funi really did have first shot at everything would not have happened.). ...

However, Nozomi still takes last shot ~ they don't pick up shows other distributors are interested in.

Note that Sentai Filmworks getting HSOTD does not on its own establish whether or not they had first crack at it ~ after all, Funimation could have had first crack at it and decided that they could not commit to it at that point in time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With Sentai back acquiring licenses regularly, NIS and Aniplex in the fold, and Media Blasters and Bandai getting back in the swing of things, no one really has a first shot at any show. They may have relationships with certain companies that give them advantages, and in some cases agreements that give them first look rights, but there is no one company that gets a first shot at everything. It still comes down to bidding on many shows and who's willing to offer the most money and the best terms.

Don't you think you're overstating things a bit? Sentai seems to by and large be sticking to cheap and smaller name licenses even if they are picking them up in quantity. I'd say Highschool of the Dead is the only recent exception to that. Media Blasters is a mess, struggling just to get the licenses they already have in order. I don't even remember the last time Bandai licensed something. NIS has picked up literally a few titles and it seems pretty clear that they only plan to do super selective and niche properties. It seems to me that although it's not quite as pronounced, the R1 industry is still very much the 'Funimation show'.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My point is that in the past 5 months, Funi has announced absolutely no new anime TV series licenses for physical distribution. I find that a bit troubling. As somebody else pointed out in a different thread yesterday, Funi has a pretty decent backlog of stuff still to come out, but I worry its impending sale/non-sale has put a kibosh on it acquiring new titles. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe we'll know more at the end of the month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4