• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Offers Clannad After Story Dub Upgrade Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
aeolus23 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Anways, I think it's great that it's getting a dub. Not because I like dubs, far from it, but because now hopefully people who were interested but refuse to watch subtitled anime will go out and purchase this show. I may be a strict subbie, but I support people getting to watch shows how they please as long as it doesn't affect me. Plus, if it's getting a dub, that means it's posted good sales numbers, and that's always a good thing.

This is almost like saying that most dub fans always have to hold their breath for a dub version and cannot tolerate anime in subtitles. Surely, you're not implying that dub fans are this stubborn. Wink

I consider myself a pretty adamant dub fan, but that didn't stop me from purchasing the subtitled DVDs for both seasons.

I don't think they're saying that at all. As a dub fan I do like them a lot, but sometimes I do watch subs and I think having both options is a good thing and that's why I don't buy sub only releases because I like having the option to switch audio if I want to.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

No way will I be doing this upgrade in the same fashion. I'd like to know if Egan (and crew) can get with Shawne and ask if the program allows for the exchange of the disks only.

I will not downgrade my cases to the single spindle stack pack which was delivered to us with the Clannad exchange... again.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It is sucks having to buy a case because Sentai uses stack packs. Would it be the end of the world, if they charged an extra couple of dollars for a better case? I guess so. Confused
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
It is sucks having to buy a case because Sentai uses stack packs. Would it be the end of the world, if they charged an extra couple of dollars for a better case? I guess so. Confused

Bullshit they should charge us more for them to use non-shitty packaging. They should be using non-stackpacks anyways since NO ONE LIKES THEM AT ALL, let alone charge more for a case with a flip, or *gasp* use 14mm 4 disc cases which are just as cheap as stackpaks. Why they're still using 27mm cases is beyond me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

No way will I be doing this upgrade in the same fashion. I'd like to know if Egan (and crew) can get with Shawne and ask if the program allows for the exchange of the disks only.

I will not downgrade my cases to the single spindle stack pack which was delivered to us with the Clannad exchange... again.

I don't know if you know or not but Shawne is going to be on ANNCast this week so maybe you send an e-mail to Zac and see if he can ask that question to him?

Well I never bought AS to begin with so I will have to wait for a S23 sale. I have no problems with stackpacks mainly since I never keep my DVD's in there to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
aeolus23 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Anways, I think it's great that it's getting a dub. Not because I like dubs, far from it, but because now hopefully people who were interested but refuse to watch subtitled anime will go out and purchase this show. I may be a strict subbie, but I support people getting to watch shows how they please as long as it doesn't affect me. Plus, if it's getting a dub, that means it's posted good sales numbers, and that's always a good thing.

This is almost like saying that most dub fans always have to hold their breath for a dub version and cannot tolerate anime in subtitles. Surely, you're not implying that dub fans are this stubborn. Wink

Actually, I am. Well, maybe not that extreme since I will watch subbed anime... but only if it's streaming online. I wont ever buy a DVD set knowing that there is no dub on it regardless of how good or bad the show is.

And in cases of shows that I REALLY anticipate, I don't even bother to watch the subbed versions online and wait for the dub. For example, the Evangelion movies. I knew about the movie from the day it was announced... but I held patiently for the DVD release. The first time I watched Eva 1.0 was on FUNi's DVD. The same goes for 2.22. While I'd like to see it in theaters (not likely) I am not going to watch it until the dubbed version is made available.

Now, don't get me wrong. It isn't necessarily about liking and disliking dubs and subs... it's just that when I watch a show subtitled, I always have this feeling that I'm spoiling the show for myself. I consider subbed anime as spoilers, and that is why I usually try avoiding it whenever I can.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
archaron wrote:

Bullshit they should charge us more for them to use non-shitty packaging. They should be using non-stackpacks anyways since NO ONE LIKES THEM AT ALL, let alone charge more for a case with a flip, or *gasp* use 14mm 4 disc cases which are just as cheap as stackpaks. Why they're still using 27mm cases is beyond me.

Actually when buying them in bulk, which Sentai or it's replicator likely did, stack packs are considerably cheaper than 14mm cases, about 25-30% cheaper.

Regardless, I'm not going to get upset about the cases anymore and truth be told, I hate full series in 14mm cases. The show is getting dubbed and that's good enough for me. If they do switch to a different case in the future (preferably not the lite boxes Funimation and Media Blasters use) that would just be icing on the cake.

Also, people already complain that Sentai's dubbed releases are too expensive. Can you imagine the whining if they raised the price even a dollar or two to cover the cost of different packaging? Laughing
kepstin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The thing that I didn't notice at first which ended up bugging me about this release:
They only dubbed Clannad: After Story? the second season of the anime?

I'm not really sure if I want this upgrade if the end result is going to be half a show dubbed, half sub-only, in non-matching cases...

(edit)
Nevermind, I feel like an idiot now. They did release an english dub of the first season, it's just that I didn't read their website correctly. Did I miss an upgrade offer for the first season that is no longer available?

Last edited by kepstin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually when buying them in bulk, which Sentai or it's replicator likely did, stack packs are considerably cheaper than 14mm cases, about 25-30% cheaper.

Really? Are you talking about slims with or without a flap? Or is there no difference? I just find that strange since I'd imagine less manufacturing is involved in a case that's half the size, but I guess there are three more hubs. Still, though, what's the difference? Is it so big that there's no way they can spring for better cases, slim or not? I can't imagine them -S23- being that cheap since they are dubbing much more often and releasing several BDs, so some more money on non-stackpacks shouldn't be where the line is drawn.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:

Really? Are you talking about slims with or without a flap? Or is there no difference? I just find that strange since I'd imagine less manufacturing is involved in a case that's half the size, but I guess there are three more hubs. Still, though, what's the difference? Is it so big that there's no way they can spring for better cases, slim or not? I can't imagine them -S23- being that cheap since they are dubbing much more often and releasing several BDs, so some more money on non-stackpacks shouldn't be where the line is drawn.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that they are cheap, I think it's more they have a different business philosophy than the old ADV did. ADV spent money dubbing almost everything they could, put most releases in nice chipboard boxes and put out some of the best on disc extras of any company at the time. They ran by the idea behind most entertainment companies in that they built up their library with a large number of titles, hoping that the bigger successful titles like Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion would pay for titles that didn't perform as expected, such as Princess Tutu or Kino's Journey.

In the case of Sentai, they are much smaller and likely have considerably less financial resources than ADV at it's peak. They need every title to at least stand a very good shot at making a profit, or at the very least breaking even. Something like a quarter or fifty cents a copy may not seem like much, but it does add up when you print a few thousand copies.

Not to mention, we often to remember one thing. Sentai doesn't package these themselves. Their replicator does. There's a good chance that they order 27mm cases and this is what the replicator provides.

Anyway, for those that aren't concerned about the extra dollar or two, you can order m-lock 27mm cases from several sites and easily replace the case. I actually several people that have done this and I would gladly take those over the stack packs or the lite boxes some of the other companies use. Not to mention, the artwork will fit perfectly.

Yeah, over the past two years I've learned to make compromises when buying anime. Cool
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the case of Sentai, they are much smaller and likely have considerably less financial resources than ADV at it's peak. They need every title to at least stand a very good shot at making a profit, or at the very least breaking even. Something like a quarter or fifty cents a copy may not seem like much, but it does add up when you print a few thousand copies.

I understand that, but again, they are dubbing much more often and even releasing BD, which I hear isn't only expensive to produce, but the licenses for those rights are huge. They aren't the fledging they once were when they first started releasing the first Clannad and Princess Resurrection.

Quote:
Not to mention, we often to remember one thing. Sentai doesn't package these themselves. Their replicator does. There's a good chance that they order 27mm cases and this is what the replicator provides.

I believe I've heard Lance talk about that, perhaps on his latest ANNcast. I don't doubt it, but I find it strange that they can't even make suggestions.

Quote:
Anyway, for those that aren't concerned about the extra dollar or two, you can order m-lock 27mm cases from several sites and easily replace the case.

I do that, but I don't want to; I shouldn't have to. We aren't talking about Funimation thinpacks where people complain because they don't like how flimsy they are, we're talking about stackpaks that have caused customers to flood S23's inbox with complaints about discs and how they're always arriving scratched because of floaters and how it's a nuisance to have to remove all the discs to get one. While price should certainly be a big factor in deciding packaging, customer satisfaction should be just as important.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
KingofHearts, I happen to own several Sentai flexable plastic collection boxes and not one has a single scratch. And each collection set had the DVD discs fastened safely on the knobs.

Could you provide an example to your pet peeve? Because it sounds like your just nickpicking, even though I'm sure you aren't and have legit concerns.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
All three of Chrono Crusade, Full Metal Panic: Heavy Metal Collection, and Princess Tutu had a floater; Princess Tutu even had a cushion to prevent floaters, but it didn't. Only CC had a scratched disc, and it still played, but I think I was just lucky. I'm not the only one who complains about this, just look at PetrifiedJello's post. You'll also be interested in this thread where almost everyone complains about stackpaks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Last January, I ordered both parts of the sub-only Clannad and the sub-only Clannad After Story. Then I learned that Sentai was dubbing Clannad. Turned out it was actually cheaper for me to return the unopened Clannad sets (I was still within TRSI's 90 day return window) and then order the Clannad hybrid complete collection separately. Which I did. But I also returned my Clannad After Story sets at the same time even though Sentai hadn't announced a dub for them yet, because I figured, eh, they'll do it eventually. And I was right. Now I can order the Clannad After Story complete collection hybrid for a lot less than participating in the Upgrade Program.

Patience and faith do occasionally have their rewards!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Last January, I ordered both parts of the sub-only Clannad and the sub-only Clannad After Story. Then I learned that Sentai was dubbing Clannad. Turned out it was actually cheaper for me to return the unopened Clannad sets (I was still within TRSI's 90 day return window) and then order the Clannad hybrid complete collection separately. Which I did. But I also returned my Clannad After Story sets at the same time even though Sentai hadn't announced a dub for them yet, because I figured, eh, they'll do it eventually. And I was right. Now I can order the Clannad After Story complete collection hybrid for a lot less than participating in the Upgrade Program.

Patience and faith do occasionally have their rewards!

That's why I never went after AS. I got both Clannad sets for cheap (one from TRSI and one from the defucnt suncoast at the mall closet to me for half-off and traded them in with the set, but I feel a S23 sale coming soon so I will pre-order it then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3