• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bodacious Space Pirates Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
^ After what he said, I did go back and read his review, and his main problems were how the Chinese in the English dub was handled and the delay in the subtitles popping up.

I can see how those would be bothersome to some people, but not nearly Guin Saga vol. 2 level. That's a completely different monstrosity altogether. Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was thinking of the subtitles and not the dub for Canaan (the subtitles are horribly out of synch in a few places - like, by several seconds) so I misspoke on that.

And about the Guin Saga problem, it should be remembered that 95% of the second half's dub was fine. The actual problems in that dub only constituted about 10 minutes total out of 13 episodes, but those were, unfortunately, such an awful 10 minutes that they drag the whole thing down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wesson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
In the reiview for Kaze no Stigma, the author rightly pointed out that the main character was too strong for his challenges. This show suffers from the exact same drawback. So why is Marika listed as a pro instead of a con?

Creating a flawed main character is hard an most shows don't pull it off. You could tell from the first two minutes of the first episode that Marika was a hotshot who was going to spend every episode impressing people. And she did. Whch made things very boring for me.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I had no interest in seeing this show just from the title alone, I figured it was going to be one of those ecchi shows. Now that I've read about it, it actually seems to not be anywhere close to that. This is reminding me of Princess Tutu.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Seriously, I had no interest in seeing this show just from the title alone, I figured it was going to be one of those ecchi shows. Now that I've read about it, it actually seems to not be anywhere close to that. This is reminding me of Princess Tutu.

its a rather chaste show
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:

And this is why you don't judge shows just on their title.

Who the hell does that? Why would you admit to doing that?

Also its nothing at all like Princess Tutu.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
JackCox wrote:

And this is why you don't judge shows just on their title.

Who the hell does that? Why would you admit to doing that?

Also its nothing at all like Princess Tutu.

First of all: It's quite a normal reaction to think that Bodacious Space Pirates might be an ecchi show. I'm not some moral guy or something, I just don't enjoy ecchi shows. What I meant by Princess Tutu is that the show's title is is very misleading, A lot of people would think Princess Tutu is a very girly show just based on the title. That's why I said this show has a misleading title. Now please come down off your high horse claiming I'm some ignorant closed minded person.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Now please come down off your high horse claiming I'm some ignorant closed minded person.

You didn't even bother to vaguely investigate what the show was until it was basically shoved in your face.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I've heard similar things about the dub, although I'm a bit alarmed that Sentai seems to keep including flubbed lines in the final product instead of re-doing them. In any case, still plan on picking up the title at some point so I'm glad to hear that it mostly checks out, although by now I just have to sigh that there are still grammatical mistakes in Sentai's subtitles.

Yeah, good ol' Stephen Foster hard at work (not). He did the same kind of hackjob to Guin Saga as well. I think it is like ANNCast was discussing: Sentai must be gunning for Netflix and thus is taking on more work than they can handle to build up a library.
Key wrote:
And about the Guin Saga problem, it should be remembered that 95% of the second half's dub was fine. The actual problems in that dub only constituted about 10 minutes total out of 13 episodes, but those were, unfortunately, such an awful 10 minutes that they drag the whole thing down.

You are spot on about that. I will not forgive Stephen Foster and the dub actors for disrespecting Kurimoto's life's work in the way they did. Not that I think we'll ever see any more of the story animated, but if it happens I hope Sentai will stay the hell away from it, even if that means we don't get a R1 release.

Last edited by dragon695 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I've heard similar things about the dub, although I'm a bit alarmed that Sentai seems to keep including flubbed lines in the final product instead of re-doing them. In any case, still plan on picking up the title at some point so I'm glad to hear that it mostly checks out, although by now I just have to sigh that there are still grammatical mistakes in Sentai's subtitles.

Yeah, good ol' Stephen Foster hard at work (not). He did the same kind of hackjob to Guin Saga as well. I think it is like ANNCast was discussing: Sentai must be gunning for Netflix and thus is taking on more work than they can handle.

How about you actually watch the series or even read the review first. Stephen Foster had nothing to do with this show.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
How about you actually watch the series or even read the review first. Stephen Foster had nothing to do with this show.

You don't seem to understand how things work at Sentai, do you?
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Yeah, good ol' Stephen Foster hard at work (not). He did the same kind of hackjob to Guin Saga as well. I think it is like ANNCast was discussing: Sentai must be gunning for Netflix and thus is taking on more work than they can handle to build up a library.
Key wrote:

You are spot on about that. I will not forgive Stephen Foster and the dub actors for disrespecting Kurimoto's life's work in the way they did. Not that I think we'll ever see any more of the story animated, but if it happens I hope Sentai will stay the hell away from it, even if that means we don't get a R1 release.

Guin Saga. Oh man, How could you sing a song so off key like that?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Ayres was in the directors seat for this one. Foster wasn't involved.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish a show about space pirates would actually be about space pirates, not cute, bubbly girls doing cute, bubbly things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

You don't seem to understand how things work at Sentai, do you?

I understand far more than most of the people that post here, thank you. Even if Stephen Foster wanted to, he doesn't have they time to direct or even be involved in all the shows that Seraphim dubs, especially now that its quite likely that Sentai will commission more dubs this year than Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4