• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Production Committee Halts N. American Simulcast

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Not obligated? Parent company (Navarre) wants product. If the source of the product wants something, like a blog post, to insure that you continue to get product, then you do it.

Not obligated, with special emphasis on the not obligated part. A production committee truly paranoid about piracy would want Funimation to collect fingerprints and perform a background check on each and every customer who wants to buy a given DVD. Obviously this will never come to fruition. As the middleman Funimation has to reserve enough wiggle room for themselves to meet the expectations of their customers as well, or there are no sales and no cash to get new product with anyway.

tuxedocat wrote:
(though my post was an effort to examine the business behind this mess, I can't do anything about how personally you took it. Really, I wasn't thinking about you at all).

That's fascinating. What type of business do you own where you only have to satisfy yourself and your supplier, and are you hiring? I'd genuinely love to work somewhere that I could tell a customer "It's business, I can't do anything about how you personally took it," and get away with it. Very Happy

It's pretty obvious you weren't taking me into account, and I appreciate your confirming that point. The thing is, any strategic calculus that doesn't factor in consumer behavior languishes in the realm of the imaginary. Business means a buyer and a seller, if you can't satisfy both then you'll probably end up put out of business by some kids on the internet.

tuxedocat wrote:
I figure that anyone who is buying product is exempt from being insulted.

Sorry, but who isn't buying the product exactly, and what proof do we have of this? Because my understanding in many years of collecting anime myself and interacting with other fans is that nearly every anime fan contributes to the industry to some degree. I can think of maybe one very idealistically obsessed crusader who deliberately avoided paying for what he watched, but I can scarcely imagine he's brought this industry to his knees single handed. Much more of a problem I'm sure, is the simple fact that most of the consumers are minors with irregular income streams who probably aren't the best customer base to build a business on, particularly in an economic recession. It's not that nobody's buying, they just aren't buying sustainable quantity.

I gather from context that you probably never download fansubs, and you probably assume that people who do are a monolithic threat to the anime industry? I challenge you to question that assumption. How many people like this have actually come to light in all the fansub debates on this board? There are countless excellent testimonials in the preceding 24 pages of this thread and more in the comments section on Funimation's blog pointing to a different conclusion that's a little harder to solve than arresting some pirates who intentionally stiff the industry.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
The halt's over. Back to our bleak meaningless lives.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
We can only hope that anime production committees have learned that cutting off your nose to spite your face doesn't make for a particularly sound business policy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
The halt's over. Back to our bleak meaningless lives.

Yay! Er... wait...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Not obligated? Parent company (Navarre) wants product. If the source of the product wants something, like a blog post, to insure that you continue to get product, then you do it.

Not obligated, with special emphasis on the not obligated part. A production committee truly paranoid about piracy would want Funimation to collect fingerprints and perform a background check on each and every customer who wants to buy a given DVD. Obviously this will never come to fruition. As the middleman Funimation has to reserve enough wiggle room for themselves to meet the expectations of their customers as well, or there are no sales and no cash to get new product with anyway.

Lance stated in a recent podcast that physical media is where their money is. My suspicion is that Funi's ability to deliver this is being threatened. My guess is Factale is completely off the table at this point. However, Funimation is probably taking the position it is to ensure availability of future properties. (edit: news today makes this kind of irrelevant)

mdreura wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
(though my post was an effort to examine the business behind this mess, I can't do anything about how personally you took it. Really, I wasn't thinking about you at all).

That's fascinating. What type of business do you own where you only have to satisfy yourself and your supplier, and are you hiring? I'd genuinely love to work somewhere that I could tell a customer "It's business, I can't do anything about how you personally took it," and get away with it. Very Happy

Without going into details, it involves efficiency, workflow and personnel. Let's just say I could give out Darwin awards, given what people do on their company's time, using their company's servers.

mdreura wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I figure that anyone who is buying product is exempt from being insulted.

Sorry, but who isn't buying the product exactly, and what proof do we have of this? Because my understanding in many years of collecting anime myself and interacting with other fans is that nearly every anime fan contributes to the industry to some degree.

I hear this proof argument a lot, asking for proof of something that is both nebulous and intangible. It the same as me asking for proof as to how these fan contributions you speak of are relevant and quantifiable?

mdreura wrote:
I gather from context that you probably never download fansubs, and you probably assume that people who do are a monolithic threat to the anime industry?

From personal experience, I'll just say that I'm not complacent about security or suffering any delusions about privacy, and leave it at that.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Lance stated in a recent podcast that physical media is where their money is. My suspicion is that Funi's ability to deliver this is being threatened. My guess is Factale is completely off the table at this point. ...
Its highly unlikely that a Japanese production committee would turn down a DVD license over something like this, but it could increase the time delay they want between the end of the first Japanese release cycle and the North American release.

The reason they feel free to turn off the streaming license in the first place is that the proceeds are very small at this point.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Lance stated in a recent podcast that physical media is where their money is. My suspicion is that Funi's ability to deliver this is being threatened. My guess is Factale is completely off the table at this point. ...
Its highly unlikely that a Japanese production committee would turn down a DVD license over something like this, but it could increase the time delay they want between the end of the first Japanese release cycle and the North American release.

The reason they feel free to turn off the streaming license in the first place is that the proceeds are very small at this point.

I was suspicious that they were planning to cut Funimation out and release the series blueray like Aniplex is doing with Kara no Kyokai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 26 of 26