• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action xxxHOLiC Cast Photographed in Costume [2013-01-24]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Probably the best looking anime to live action conversion I've seen so far. All the actors/actresses are attractive and look exactly like their counterparts. I love the style they went with.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
When do we get a look at Mokona? I'm trying to picture a kigurumi Mokona. ^^
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow... is it just me or are they even paying homage to CLAMP's super elongated limbs here? Look at dem legs in that first photo Shocked. They definitely got a tall-enough actress through Anne Watanabe, that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
Live-actions are definitely not my cup of tea. Just these pictures are turning me completely off from wanting to watch it, even if I love Holic. Also, Doumeki's face is so wrong. And while I suppose it would be unnatural to reproduce Himawari's huge curls to live-action, her hair looks so average it's awful.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'm actually kinda curious to see this, just to see what they do with it. Too many live action dorama adaptations of manga don't work for me, but maybe this will.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, this doesn't look like a non-functional cartoon-live-action hybrid thing. Like the approach here a lot, very natural. Might be worth a look if it's only eight episodes. Very Happy
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
The actress playing Yuuko is around 170 cm tall if I remember correctly.

Also, there isn't going to be a Mokona in this adaptation. I think the CG element would not have fit in with the rest of the overall design so that was probably a good call.

Edit: The article forgot to mention that the manga series is going to resume.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Domeki needs to be a deadpan as possible
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Everything I've seen for this adaptation really looks good so I'm actually getting excited for the show now. Of course, I also seem to have had a much better experience with live action adaptations then the rest of you, since the ones I've seen have been very good (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon and Nodame Cantabile, both of which I would argue may be better than the anime adaptations, though I haven't seen enough of the Nodame anime to really know. Of course, the reason I haven't seen much of it was because I saw the live action first and couldn't see/hear anyone else in those roles, plus the stills during the concerts annoyed me.)
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Sorry, manga/anime/video-games-to-live-action adaptations are not my cup of tea (most of the time), either they never follow the canon of the source, or the main characters never look close enough like the real ones in the manga/anime. I think many of these live-action adaptations actually feels like those Hollywood approaches of doing similar live-action adaptations of manga/anime/video games, the only difference is perhaps the Hollywood adaptations get to use huge budgets.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Japanese Dorama, e.g. Galileo and both seasons of JIN tv-series are better live-action shows I have ever watched in my opinion.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
I can never understand why people who are predisposed to dislike a series always come into threads about said series, just to say "Oh, this is going to suck, these things always suck, I know I won't like it." Are you just trying to pick a fight with people trying to convince you to give it a chance?

I'm with marie-antoinette, PGSM was vastly better than the anime. And I'm looking forward to this, especially since it looks like they'll be doing the Jorogumo arc.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, they really captured the look and spirit (hah) of xxxHolic and its characters. Very impressive. I might just try to sneak a peek, to see if they pin down the sensuality of the manga and if it even turns out as enjoyable.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Jorogumo is the spider woman right? From the whole spoiler[eye-taking] arc?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Jorogumo is the spider woman right? From the whole spoiler[eye-taking] arc?

After seeing the picture, I was pretty sure she was and a quick Google search confirms it. I would say it's definitely a good sign in the show's favour that we could tell which character she was just off the visuals.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I can never understand why people who are predisposed to dislike a series always come into threads about said series, just to say "Oh, this is going to suck, these things always suck, I know I won't like it." Are you just trying to pick a fight with people trying to convince you to give it a chance?

I'm with marie-antoinette, PGSM was vastly better than the anime. And I'm looking forward to this, especially since it looks like they'll be doing the Jorogumo arc.

Because this a forum in which people are allowed to express their opinions, of which clearly not everyone is going to agree with?

Kind of like how I disagree with your assertion that PGSM in live action was good (ugh those wigs, ughhhh that no effort luna stuffed animal), but I'm not going to make a big a deal of how I do disagree with your opinion.

As for xxxHolic, meh. I never got more than half way through season 1 of the anime, and the live action doesn't really excite me. Personally I don't think the actors chosen look very close to how the characters look in the anime/manga and the whole set has a costumey feel to it, a major pit fall of super natural/fantastic anime turned live action. I tend to appreciate more slice of life, school life anime in live action better because it can be done more effectively. No one wants to see another terribly blended CG character pop up because it's an element of the show that they couldn't afford to make look good in a live action adaptation. I guess that's this shows one saving grace, that we won't have to put up with a CG mokona ::shudders::
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2