• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gantz [2011-01-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
Again, I suggest a two-night showing. One for the dub, one for the sub. There are some of us that prefer a dub, even if it's bad, as long as it's accurate.

But the dub definitely could have been better. They should have gotten some actual VAs, instead of what sounded like the script translators themselves.
pepper_gray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
The dub wasn't done by any US VAs. In fact, several sounded like they weren't native English speakers. Kei, most notably, sounded like he had a bit of a speech impediment. The names that appeared briefly in the credits suggest that the dub may have been done in Spain or Mexico.

Those of my friends who have read the manga and I all agree that Tae was cast too pretty. She's not supposed to be an amazingly beautiful manga-ka that somehow the rest of the class ignores, she's supposed to be a cute, quiet, short, kidlike, mousy manga-ka - a girl-next-door type - that the rest of the class actually picks on.

While the recent legislation in Tokyo doesn't affect live action (unless I'm mistaken) a lot of the adaptation decisions in this film really smack of a reaction to anime and manga restrictions. For example, the main characters in the original are all high schoolers. If they had to age the characters up, college freshman would have been a better fit than college senior.

All in all, this felt like a giant setup for the second film, though if they would have incorporated some story movement and transition into the last few minutes of the movie rather than showing a trailer I would be much more interested.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I suggest saving yourself, don't watch those last 5 eps, and as you buy the manga, start reading from where episode 21 ends. The last 5 eps are a filler mission that wraps the series up horribly, and actually replace a mission that happens in the manga several arcs later, but they do it so badly in the anime. Volume 8 of the manga shows the end of the Buddhist Statue fight and continues from there, so I would say start buying and reading from there, and then buy the first 7 as money allows. Save yourself some anguish.
Heh, thanks for the warning, but I finished off the rest of the DVD last night. xD. I actually really enjoyed the last arc, right up until the end. The ending was not what I expected, and--admittedly--pretty confusing--but it doesn't ruin the anime for me in the least. It's still easily one of my favorites.

But now that I'm done with the DVD, I'm gonna start buying the manga right away, starting at #1.
kikkoman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more enjoyable when you don't think of it as a port of the manga.

One of the best things about Gantz was the idea that you really have no idea what's going to happen next. Going into the movie and knowing what will happen takes some of that edge away so they changed up how things played it. It really could have been better though, but I wasn't expecting too much from the director of Tekken 4. The dub was also kinda bad, especially with how they did the pause in sentences. I know how it'd sound in Japanese but it was an awkward space in english.
For it to be a perfect Gantz movie we'd need the director of Old Boy and make it GANTZ: SEOUL Very Happy

The second film will really be something, I saw the trailer and thought "GOD DAMN WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS"

GANTZ: PERFECT ANSWER

hahha
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Argggh! I can't believe I missed the showing of this on thursday in my city!

I have a weird, morbid fascination with Gantz (not enough to make me continue reading the manga or watching the anime, but enough to make me curious).

Anyone know if there will be additional opportunities to see it in Salt Lake City Utah?

When it comes out on DVD
wolfy2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
My only exposure to Gantz before was seeing the first couple episodes of the Anime years ago, back when The Anime Network still existed On Demand and I remember at the time not liking it. I felt it was a great story but executed poorly. That being said, it didn't hinder me at all from wanting to see the live action version as soon as I saw the first advertisement. Mainly because I love Kenichi Matsuyama, but also because I've never been disappointed with a live action adaptation before (Death Note and Nana come to mind). In a way I wasn't disappointed, at least in the quality of the direction, action scenes, costuming, sets and such, but in other ways I certainly was.

First and foremost was the dub. I saw on the Fathom Events page it was going to be dubbed, but I was praying that since they were going to have the two leads present at the premier they'd have gone with a sub. Man was I pissed. It was completely distracting with how bad it was. Live action movies should never be dubbed, period. It looks bad, sounds bad, and quite frankly, is an absolute insult to the stars that took the trouble to come to a premier less than 24 hours after the other premier they attended. Seriously, what was the point? Fathom Events premiered other anime adaptation movies subtitled, why couldn't this one? At this point, I'll only see the second part in theaters if it's subtitled because I can't take another two hours of that crap.

Dubbing issues aside, the only other problem I had with the movie was how illogical some scenes were, particularly the action scenes. Why was no one firing a gun unless they were standing stock still and therefore an easy target to get themselves killed? You have a statue that's the size of a three or four story building (i.e. the equivalent of hitting the side of a barn) and no one thinks to fire at it, not even the gun crazy army nut?? You have a gun that can obliterate anything, fire dammit! Is the manga/anime seriously that illogical?
Cyberzerker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
First of all, I will admit that I have not read the Gantz manga, however I do own the anime series, (in fact I have the "ball" special edition boxed set in my collection.) I do want to say this. I really did not care for the anime. I had originally bought the dvd's at Walmart of all places! I liked the anime less with each dvd volume, always hoping some miracle would save the anime for me. partly because the action sequences are too verbose and the 15 minute timed missions contain 30 minutes of dialogue and run for 4-5 24 minute episodes with 5 minutes of actual action! The pacing in the anime was agonizing.

I had really low expectations of the Gantz Live-action. Therefore I enjoyed the film. Despite the dub, which was ma-ma (tell me have you ever truly seen a GOOD live-action dub?). I did not mind the trimmed down and condensed live action version. I actually look forward to the second part of the film. I am happy to have had the opportunity to see Gantz on the BIG screen at a theater!

I was not surprised at the Revision of Gantz for Live-action. The Japanese are pretty consistant at re-versioning things and making major changes in the characters and plots. Examples include: Evangelion, Escaflowne, Tenchi Muyo, Deathnote, and Eureka7. (I suppose the same thing could be said about U.S. properties such as Batman)

The best part of the Fathom Event for me was watching the interaction between the interpreters and the Actors. Too funny!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know it's not just Hollywood that waters down and misses the point when adapting manga. Sadly it's not just sex and violence that was lost, but also the dark neigh nihilistic tone. Japan's conservative mainstream is just as bad and ball less as America's it seems.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
wolfy2005 wrote:
Live action movies should never be dubbed, period. It looks bad, sounds bad,

As bad as the dubbing was, the sheer number of wide shots of people talking with their backs to the camera brought it back from the brink of utterly-atrocious in my mind.
Cyberzerker wrote:
The best part of the Fathom Event for me was watching the interaction between the interpreters and the Actors. Too funny!

Yeah, the only thing that felt like it went on longer than the movie was the one star's (Kota?) answers. There were quite a few points where his translator looked to be in severe pain trying to keep track of everything he had said for the last few minutes and with no sign of stopping. Kei's (?) actor held himself very well, and almost would've made for a better emcee.

I'll catch the second half when they release it, but am somewhat unsure of if it would be worth buying at my usual trigger-points simply for the fact that the video/audio seemed very underwhelming for an action movie with horror elements. Other than the transporting effect, it was a bit much meh.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
Cyberzerker wrote:
First of all, I will admit that I have not read the Gantz manga, however I do own the anime series, (in fact I have the "ball" special edition boxed set in my collection.) I do want to say this. I really did not care for the anime. I had originally bought the dvd's at Walmart of all places! I liked the anime less with each dvd volume, always hoping some miracle would save the anime for me. partly because the action sequences are too verbose and the 15 minute timed missions contain 30 minutes of dialogue and run for 4-5 24 minute episodes with 5 minutes of actual action! The pacing in the anime was agonizing.

Just as a point of contention, the missions were an hour long. Maybe later ones are longer or shorter, but to the best of my knowledge, all the ones covered in the anime (and the live-action movie) were hour-long hunts. And as bad as the anime might have felt for seeming to drag them out, the manga really isn't any better, taking 30-40 chapters for one hour of time.
This, in comparison to DBZ's dozens of episodes covering 5 minutes of a planet's end before exploding, is really nothing, hehe.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Just as a point of contention, the missions were an hour long. Maybe later ones are longer or shorter, but to the best of my knowledge, all the ones covered in the anime (and the live-action movie) were hour-long hunts. And as bad as the anime might have felt for seeming to drag them out, the manga really isn't any better, taking 30-40 chapters for one hour of time.
This, in comparison to DBZ's dozens of episodes covering 5 minutes of a planet's end before exploding, is really nothing, hehe.
Even when I got the DVD and watched last week, I still found myself yelling at the TV repeatedly: "What the hell are you?! SHOOT! SHOOT, DAMN IT! WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU--no...no, no! NO! Aw....SHIT! You coulda saved [insert character's name here] IF YOU JUST F**KING SHOT!!!" Mad

The show's still great though, and it's still one of my favorites, but that's probably my biggest problem with it all in the earlier missions. It got better as the anime went on, and when I start buying the manga, I hope that it continues to lessen.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
I just saw this tonight and I can completely agree with you Zac. Almost everybody in the theater was expecting blood, violence, nudity and sex, and we only got half.

Yea. And then the MPAA will then give it the dreaded NC-17 raiting if it had left everything intact. I do not blame them at all for toning it down to it could get the PG-13 raiting one bit . It was the only way business wise so it can be released in US theaters.

Also the dub here is not bad at all. Sure it's completely inferior to the Death Note live action dubs cause they used the original VA from the anime series , however this live action dub is a hell of a lot better than those martial arts dubs that flooded the 90's. and it's ten times better than the dubs created by the horror that was 4 kids / fox kids / fox box

though i would agree having the movie that did not included a sub was not the wisest moves , it's not a susprising one either.

Hopefully if a second one comes around, it's include both versions and a better dub cast like how Viz Media treated the death note movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4