• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi Game for GBA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
.....Why do I sense another spice girls game look alike?
Phantomjest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
.....Why do I sense another spice girls game look alike?

There was a Spice girls game?! Thank goodness I didn't hear/see about that one. ¬¬

I can stand their songs to some extend . . . but the cartoon can be downright unbearable sometimes. >.<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
Feh. Every cartoon there ever was or ever will be has a game for GBA, and they're all the same mediocre pile o' crud: move from left to right, jump on 9000 of the same enemy, end of level, do it again. There'll probably be an option to choose between Ami or Yumi (who will both play exactly the same) and the plot will have them rescuing Kaz or something. The BGM will consist of the same three Puffy songs (one being the theme song to the show) on a continious loop.
AzuNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'm buying them. 8)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern needs a hug.

Not every cartoon-based game for GBA is a side-scrolling arcade game. For example, Robotech is a side-scrolling shooter ^__^; Okay, bad example. Uh....Melody of Oblivion is a vertical scrolling shooting-type game where you can melee, too and watch Special Attack Footage. ^__^; Okay, another bad example. Oh, there is that Cartoon Network Speedway game that isn't too bad.

Seriously, though. As long as you don't try to downsize a platform game, it should be all right. After all, if I can get a kick from one of the Hamtaro games, Puffy shouldn't be all that bad.

(Ham-Ham Olympics are soooo kawaii =^__^= )
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I love the Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi Show but... American cartoon games tend to suck. The Fairly Oddparents game wasn't horrible though... Maybe this'll be okay. ;.;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Anime- and cartoon-based GBA games will always be crappy if they have a crappy developer. However, a good developer makes all the difference. Astro Boy: Omega Factor was a top contender in many gaming circles' Game of the Year; it was made by Treasure, which makes really awesome, old-school style games. Though I could never force myself to even consider buying it, Kim Possible 2 also had a very capable developer that made a very solid game.

Joe Mello wrote:
After all, if I can get a kick from one of the Hamtaro games, Puffy shouldn't be all that bad.

(Ham-Ham Olympics are soooo kawaii =^__^= )

From what I remember, it's actually Nintendo itself that makes the Hamtaro games, resulting in solid efforts, though they clearly target the game at a younger audience (or, in the case of Ham-Ham Olympics, old Track and Field game fans).

So the message is this: a capable developer can make the difference in whether or not an anime game is good or not. Now that I look at it more clearly, I'm excited about the possibilities created by Namco and Bandai's recent partnership. Namco could make their good games based of Bandai's anime licenses, and it wouldn't be crap!
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
i find Puffy AmiYumi's american career pretty funny. i mean besides the hardcore J pop fans, the only thing the general public really knows them for is Hi Hi PUffy Amiyumi and the Teen Titans theme song. it reminds me of that Family Guy episode when they were screaming "SING GOLD BOND MEDICATED POWDER!"

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i find Puff Amyumi's american career pretty funny. i mean besides the hardcore J pop fans, the only thing the general public really knows them for is Hi Hi PUffy Amiyumi and the Teen Titans theme song. it reminds me of that Family Guy episode when they were screaming "SING GOLD BOND MEDICATED POWDER!"

Not to mention the show is creamed crud. I mean good God, at least M.C. Hammer and NKOTB did some of their own VA'ing! But I digress, it's not like there coming out with a video game . . . (reads above)

Oh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1