Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Ōkamikakushi TV Anime


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkhappy1



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 495
Location: PA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Ehhhh not quite Higurashi Kai.

At least there are two more licenses coming up today. I wonder what's next...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I've never even heard of this show!! What's it like? Anything to recommend it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blaizevincent



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 407
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cool!

I wish they would license more shows from the past 8 years that never got the chance. Since its Subtitled DVD only its less of a risk

KAIJI KAIJI KAIJI KAIJI!! Is what i would like Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20759
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a not very good show that, for some reason, I watched to its conclusion. In my defense, it was earlier on in my anime career. I'm not sure I'd be so forgiving now.

Weird. I feel like if I see this title for $10 years from now, I may actually buy it even though it sucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ani12



Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 165
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Having seen it myself, I think it's good, not too great, though I am glad they did not go the Higurashi/Umineko route and have several repeats. It's worth a watch, I'd say.

Hopefully, the DVD release fixed the awful CGI used for cars and Mana's wheelchair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I remember this, and quite clearly too. Which is actually odd in a way; if you'd asked me back in 2010 whether I'd strongly remember it in three years time I would have said no. The premise isn't all that original, and it does have a number of issues. Basically, it's one of those shows where you don't miss out on anything by not watching them.

However, that said, it is a decent-enough Anime. Even if it was highly derivative of other works, I found it to be quite watchable. I'm looking forward to picking it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
skyreno4



Joined: 18 Oct 2011
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
whoa i remeber this series, i can't believe that it got pick up, i thought no company will licensed it, im Happy that sentai pick this up, the series is good, i love opening of song can't wait to pick it up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5324
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
and watched this for Emiri Katou and I'd do it again too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 7896
Location: Minnesota, USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense since they have Another as well and they're the same type of show by similar people.

It wasn't that bad...I'd probably pick it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The best part of this show is the utterly hilarious final episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20759
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The best part of this show is the utterly hilarious final episode.


Agreed. If the whole series had been like that, they would have really had something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool! Definitely will be picking this up. Yeah, it seems there are a few folks that don't like this anime. Much of the dislike comes from the fact that it's not on the grand scale as the 'Higurashi' series, or 'Umineko'. But I've found some that found it somewhat of a gem over those titles just being a simplistic story that has a beginning and and end without all the super-complexities. To each his own. I'm not that super picky and often do purchase shows that are considered weaker in story telling but show some potential as well as buying shows with superior plot-lines. I became somewhat of a Ryukishi07 (not a rabid) fan so I'm more or less supporting their work. So I kind of enjoyed it regardless of what "those" thought about. Look I "hate" 'Chrono Crusade' and with good reason because I read the manga. Other's liked it, and vice versa. So I will be adding this to my guilty pleasure collection.

This is interesting I thought Sentai also does dub unless they are following ADV example also dubbing when necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 916
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Oh cool! Definitely will be picking this up. Yeah, it seems there are a few folks that don't like this anime. Much of the dislike comes from the fact that it's not on the grand scale as the 'Higurashi' series, or 'Umineko'. But I've found some that found it somewhat of a gem over those titles just being a simplistic story that has a beginning and and end without all the super-complexities. To each his own. I'm not that super picky and often do purchase shows that are considered weaker in story telling but show some potential as well as buying shows with superior plot-lines. I became somewhat of a Ryukishi07 (not a rabid) fan so I'm more or less supporting their work. So I kind of enjoyed it regardless of what "those" thought about. Look I "hate" 'Chrono Crusade' and with good reason because I read the manga. Other's liked it, and vice versa. So I will be adding this to my guilty pleasure collection.

This is interesting I thought Sentai also does dub unless they are following ADV example also dubbing when necessary.


They only do dubs on their blu ray releases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catseyetiger



Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 733
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this anime!

I will be happy to add it to the shelf at some point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Oh cool! Definitely will be picking this up. Yeah, it seems there are a few folks that don't like this anime. Much of the dislike comes from the fact that it's not on the grand scale as the 'Higurashi' series, or 'Umineko'. But I've found some that found it somewhat of a gem over those titles just being a simplistic story that has a beginning and and end without all the super-complexities. To each his own. I'm not that super picky and often do purchase shows that are considered weaker in story telling but show some potential as well as buying shows with superior plot-lines. I became somewhat of a Ryukishi07 (not a rabid) fan so I'm more or less supporting their work. So I kind of enjoyed it regardless of what "those" thought about. Look I "hate" 'Chrono Crusade' and with good reason because I read the manga. Other's liked it, and vice versa. So I will be adding this to my guilty pleasure collection.

This is interesting I thought Sentai also does dub unless they are following ADV example also dubbing when necessary.


They only do dubs on their blu ray releases.


Wrong. They only release blurays of titles that are dubbed. They don't do subonly blurays. They do have some titles that were dubbed that are only on DVD, like Ice, Hakuoki, and the Mahoromatic OVA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group