• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla Writer Frank Darabont: Film Will Not Be Campy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Cool. Now it sounds terrorizing like Cloverfield, but without the hatchlings, found-footage approach, and tacked-on romance. I'm getting more and more curious to see this.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, he dropped "bromance", that's freaking hilarious. Also, let's be glad they are staying away from the hatchlings who give a generic CG-fest of a movie a lame attempt at possibly having more CG-laden movies get cranked out but never do.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
...and that's there first mistake trying to make a serious Godzilla film.
the skinny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
When I hear/read "bromance" mixed in with "Godzilla" for some odd reason I am suddenly reminded of this guy: http://youtu.be/3jbj8lLspac
Relairknight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
So excited for this, most of the best godzilla movies have been the serious ones, like the original, Godzilla vs Biollante and GMK. There needs to be time travel invented already damnit, I want to skip the next year and a half and see this right now Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
No "camp", no interest.

I'm not a big Godzilla fan, but most of the appeal from what I've seen of it is guys in rubber suits smashing up fake buildings. I doubt I'd have seen another attempt at an American Godzilla in the first place, but if I know it's trying to be dead serious, that's all the warning I need to not bother watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
'No Camp' doesn't mean 'dead serious'
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
...and that's there first mistake trying to make a serious Godzilla film.

I agree, that kind of thinking got us the '98 Godzilla movie last time. Laughing A-Directors do seem to have this thing against campiness. Look at how serious Christopher Nolan took a superhero comic book about a guy dressed up as a bat fighting a clown. Godzilla and other Toku should not be treated the same way. Their charm is their blend of seriousness with camp to create a unique and unparalleled atmosphere and presentation.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah read about this IGN, I believe Darabont, I know he's not going to repeat the 1998 film or screw up this film in anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I enjoy the camp of certain Godzilla titles as well, but my favorite film is the original one which was meant to be taken pretty seriously - probably more seriously than it is taken. They seem to be aspiring to deliver something a lot like that again, so I'll be happy if they suceed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh?

It's a movie about a giant lizard and they're stating it won't be campy.

Well, this movie had better have the giant lizard or I'm out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Will Morgan Freeman be in it?

"I find I'm so excited that I can barely resist breathing atomic fire or clutch a tower in my hands. I think it's the excitement only a giant monster can feel. A giant monster at a start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can devestate the city. I hope to see my fire and shake the ground. I hope the blood of the people is as red as it has been in my dreams. I hope."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what to think of this, I do hope at the very least it will be better then the 1998 film. That can't be too hard to do...Right? *Oh lord its going to be horrid isn't it?*

On the bright side theres always the classic 1954 version to fall back on.
KradvonWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
His trying to reassure us, is not reassuring in the least. I get the feeling I'll be cringing a bit when it finally comes out. Trying to add human drama into the movie? Sure the original had the love triangle between Serizawa, Emiko, and Hideto, but with Hollywood's record of drama in a monster movie...

I think we should just leave Giant monster movies, and live action anime adaptations to Japan. Hollywood doesn't have a good track record afterall.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
KradvonWeiss wrote:

I think we should just leave Giant monster movies, and live action anime adaptations to Japan. Hollywood doesn't have a good track record afterall.

*cough*PacificRim*cough*

Actually, they don't really have much of a track record at all. Only a few, like the original giant monster, King Kong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2