• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yama no Susume (all seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4.

I can't say I was expecting a full frontal nude scene from Aoi. It was nice but it isn't what I was watching this anime for.

It still is quite amazing to me that girls that age in Japan can go on an excursion like that, even for a day trip, hundreds of kilometers from home on their own. Granted those parks seem pretty well manicured and populated but I just don't see middle school girls in California being able to access the same sort of experience unsupervised.

Those girls are going to sore in the morning.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Those girls are going to sore in the morning.

Must... not... make... inappropriate... comment...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
This show is really beautiful, every episode...makes me want to go take a morning jog or something and take a breath of fresh mountain air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Having just caught up to Episode 16, waiting for 17 to come out, I just cannot recommend this anime enough.

They changed the opening and closing credits this time.

Sure it is an anime about a hobby but it is so well done you might have people interested in climbing -- particularly in Japan -- watch it. Whoever is writing this really loves Japan and its mountain trails and it shows. The friendships the girls have and their relationships with their parents just feels good. This is airing at a time I happen to need that right now.

All the girls are cute, but Kaede is just hot. And it ain't her bewbs either (not that it hurts) instead it is her attitude. She projects a sense of solidity that few people in real life ever reach let alone an anime character. It is no accident that whenever any other character has confusion or anxiety the camera ends up on her. "Teach us Kaede!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

That looks like a lot of fun, I could totally have seen myself play around there while I was even their age. When you are an adult you just don't play with such park equipment unless doing so ironically. I have not seen something like that spoiler[bouncy mountain] before. That looks like a place to visit if you were visiting Tokyo, until I find that I am not only too big for regular equipment but giant for the Japanese.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 I wish I could show to any early teen looking for her first job. What a great little episode.

Nothing to do with mountain climbing though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
That was adorable. The first time spoiler[Aoi works at a bakery shop selling cakes and yells WELCOME! Smile]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
This week's episode was indeed adorable, and I think could be identifiable by audience that do not necessarily do mountain climbing. One part I always enjoy is how Hinata and Aoi do those little fights or teasing with each other, it usually makes them afraid that the other will make fun of them, but it is a way they support or push the other person to do better.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I would say that Aoi's mom sure has her daughter's number. Not that she doesn't deserve it that girl needs to be watched.

Best line: "I'm screwed!" Aoi is so cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
I found the best part was the spoiler[blank stare and lack of reaction] from Kaede that said that spoiler[she was not going to be any help after all as a tutor]. And that we knew they could spoiler[call Kokona, but their pride as High School students means that should not].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
It's official. Aoi has become my favorite in the show.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. What a climb they had to make spoiler[just to leave the train platform. It looked like a London Tube station (other metropolitan subway systems and non-commuter rail stations are likely also applicable), taken to the extreme].

The hardest part is just about done? Go, Aoi!!
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hinata sure makes one terrific friend Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
I love this show and will miss it once it's over. However, I am puzzled by the structural decision to put the Mt. Fuji arc (arcette?) in the middle of the season as opposed to the climax. As Japan's highest mountain (and the most dangerous adventure the girls have had yet), you'd think it would have made a better capstone than this "Mountain of Memories" business.

Although, I suppose you could argue that seeing Aoi recover from the Mt. Fuji experience was important and so its placement where it is makes more sense. Hmm.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Although, I suppose you could argue that seeing Aoi recover from the Mt. Fuji experience was important and so its placement where it is makes more sense. Hmm.

If they wanted to do another season and I hope they do they can always go back to Mt Fuji. It's not like it is going anywhere.

What is so attractive about this anime is that it has an ensemble of cute girls who have an aspiration of something interesting other than being an idol or having a boyfriend or getting into a school. Then it has turned into a pretty interesting tour of Japan that isn't overly obsessed with the usual Kyoto temples and castles.

It is possible that the producers might have been surprised at how well it has been carried off and that's why we got a second season. It might just work for a 3rd as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3