• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Shawne Thing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Freakonature00 wrote:
Nah, Odex never offered streaming from what I know of. The most we got was a video-on-demand service. Also, can people outside of US even access the Funimation site? I get redirected to Navarre...
They got OneManga down. One of the many, and a big one too. If the site-owners can be convinced then the community might slowly change for the better (or one guy just decides to do the same thing) but then again if they own the site, what are the chances eh?

I must of been thinking of that video on demand service.

Yeah, getting OneManga to remove hosted scans was a big thing... they also got MangaFox to remove some VIZ titles, but then they put them back up recently. Fans seem to think this means nothing's being done, but the similar HTMLComics took over a year to take down (Colleen Doran's blog has a big writeup on it- a lot of it was done in secret, with people like her and Harlan Ellison working with their publishers and the FBI), and it's only been 6 months since this whole thing started. I imagine throughout the year we might see more action on that front.

The stuff Zac said about anime companies having scared the poop out of fansubbers in the past and telling no one about it is similar to that- it's not that stuff hasn't been done, it's probably that a lot of it isn't done publicly.

Re:Funi's site- it's accessible to Canada since we're part of their region for licenses [their rights cover Canada and US- their dubs are used in Australian and UK releases by companies in those regions [who buy the rights to those shows], but I imagine streaming in those territories invovles a seperate license- they did work with Madman on FMA Brotherhood streams though], though some of their videos on their portal are hosted via Hulu which is US only like VIZ's. But their YouTube account is accessible in Canada.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Re:Funi's site- it's accessible to Canada since we're part of their region for licenses [their rights cover Canada and US- their dubs are used in Australian and UK releases by companies in those regions [who buy the rights to those shows], but I imagine streaming in those territories invovles a seperate license- they did work with Madman on FMA Brotherhood streams though], though some of their videos on their portal are hosted via Hulu which is US only like VIZ's. But their YouTube account is accessible in Canada.
Funimation seems to go for the smallest regional coverage they can get, but that depends on what is on offer. While many rights owners will sell UK, Anzac and North American rights separately, some would rather just sell English speaking country rights and let the licensee act as sublicensor in countries they do not serve.

Funimation always aims for all rights, since cross-media is a core business strategy, so if they are sublicensing, that would be all rights. But if Madman or MangaUK, Beez etc. are negotiating individual rights deals, that'd be up to them if they go for full rights or a more restricted deal.

Of course, although Funimation's site is accessible to all of North America, embedding a Hulu stream where available has compelling finances, with revenue split terms on affiliate streaming reportedly as strong(*) as 70% to the rights owner, 20% to Hulu and 10% to the affiliate ~ which would be as much as(*) 80% of the revenue stream to Funimation, with no bandwidth to pay.

(* That is not saying that a small media company like Funimation will necessarily get the strongest terms)
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Great news about Dirty Pair selling very well for them. Great to see some of the naysaying n00b idiots get corrected like that.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
batou37 wrote:
Also on topic I was glad to hear limited edition and collectors edition talk on the podcast as well. I'm a big fan of big artboxes (I'm looking at you Kara no Kyoukai sitting in my TRSI orders), better packaging (chipboard, or even just higher grade thinpaks like the older ADV ones with good artwork vs some of Funi's like the Claymore BD ) extras, and bonus items ... and I hope to see it continue into 2011. I think if it is economically feasible that a dual type release for most series how Shawn spoke of the limited edition coming out first and then a basic or value line which is really just the discs in the case nothing fancy about it would be great. I also hope for more Japanese release BD's with English subs to be made more readily available in the future. I know I jumped at the chance for KnK (even though all I've seen is a trailer), and would for many other titles as well. Even if it's just the big titles like GitS and others of that sort I would be very likely to purchase them.

No freaking thank you, especially not for something relatively big like Kara no Kyoukai or big shows/movies blocking dual-language releases, I'll be pissed if we never get a "real" release of these movies, they look way too good to be reduced to such a tiny audience even including only a small segment of the sub-only watchers and I'm a collector who's occasionally imported, just not ~400+ bucks.

Kara No Kyokai is probably the only anime series can get away with a $400+ boxset and still do very good. Type Moon has alot of hardcore fans with $$$.

even if they try to sell it at $200, it will probably not increase the sale by 105%. the 5% to cover the cost of making more copies.
as long as they don't make too many of copies and never lower the price.

The value of this collectible item will probably increase. you can probably sell it later for higher price at ebay as long as you don't open it. Like some Japanese RPGs, you can sell them at ebay for $100+, example xenogears(new, never opened copy).

If other companies try to do $400 box set with other anime, they will just fail.
Maybe if they make Fate Zero movie series, they can probably do the same. not Fate Zero TV series. TV series normally have lower quality.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
citizenplain wrote:
Any illegal copying of a licensed property is illegal and harmful to the industry. Full stop.

Tacking the words 'full stop' onto a statement is just a lazy and transparent way to try and hide the complete absence of any sort of reason or justification for the claim. It's basically a derivation of the principle: 'If my opinion is sufficiently loud and forceful I won't have to back it up'.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
citizenplain wrote:
Any illegal copying of a licensed property is illegal and harmful to the industry. Full stop.

Tacking the words 'full stop' onto a statement is just a lazy and transparent way to try and hide the complete absence of any sort of reason or justification for the claim. It's basically a derivation of the principle: 'If my opinion is sufficiently loud and forceful I won't have to back it up'.

With respect, the fact that it's illegal is justification enough. When someone willfully and knowingly copies and distributes copyrighted material without the consent of the content owners or their authorized licensees, they are in violation of the law. However, there's been more than enough said on both sides of the issue of piracy already, by far abler voices that my own. If you want a more nuanced defense of my position, look no farther than some of the other posters in this thread.

I apologize for the brevity of my earlier statement, but I merely intend to voice my personal opinion on the matter. If you still find it lazy, that too is an opinion.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
Great news about Dirty Pair selling very well for them.
Same here and I'm glad that they're looking into pursuing other oldschool territory.

Shawne's explanation on the whole world of licensing issues was very enlightening. Great listen!
dengart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Another great show and great guest Zac. I really like the retail guests, I think we really lack information about how retail is doing. If you have him on again I'd be interested to know more about how funi and crunhyroll streaming shows affects how many sales a show gets. He touched on it a little, but didn't really give much information.

Btw, anyone know whether the rightstuf ROD is a better quality video then the R1 dvds. Is the picture just upscaled (so I should just stick with the dvds) or did they go back and rescan the originals?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Upscaled. 4:3 aspect. Stick with your animorphic DVDs, especially if you are a dub fan.

Lossy audio + Blu-ray = BAD
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Great interview!!! I like Shawnee and Robert for a places to purchase. It was very informative listening to Shawnee and his take on the industry.
Very cool, almost, just almost to the extent that I'll forgive Zac for the super negative Gantz live action review Smile

Great job guys!!
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Note here: Pirates are the industry's customers. They're just not paying. But attacking them does not attract them. Doing nothing is an option. Save those legal fees and negative press. Figure your market better innovate. Cause pirates are beating you on the new idea department.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
citizenplain wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
citizenplain wrote:

With respect, the fact that it's illegal is justification enough.

The irony is that the same podcast denounces a law (Bill 156). I guess we agree just because it's law doesn't mean it's good.

Heck, the same podcast illustrates years and years of labor spent trying to circumvent crappy business methods employed by the Japanese in order to take advantage of their copyright schemes (ie., to make a buck), namely, in DLK's attempt to license old anime. It is out of no technical reason behind delays on the releases of these fan favorites; it is all because the way copyright law forces the industry to behave in a certain way, which now is suffering from being outdated. It's a big problem in a society rich with media and intellectual properties.

But I guess some people have no problems with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8