• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Shawne Thing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Huh. From what I recall, I liked New Dominion Tank Police as much as the original. But I haven't seen it in a long time. JUST FALL IN LOVE...

I've never seen Utena. It's been on the back burner for a long time. The premise doesn't really interest me.

If Borders goes down, I'll pretty much lose my only reason for leaving the house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll ever mention my ginormous orders on their show. Anime hyper
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Shawne wrote:
"I'm looking at Utena as...the consummate collector release. It's going to have copious extras...I think people will be very very happy with the release, and..."

As a priestess of the Two Goddesses whose symbol I bear - Utena, Sword of the Noble Rose and Anthy, Revelatrix of Absolute Destiny - I will petition their blessings for you until the end of my days. May their beneficence, as abundant in measure as it is manifold in form, shine down upon you!

::spritzes Shawne with "holy" rose-water::

Now, hurry up and take my money. This will be my third time buying Utena, and I can't do it soon enough. (Hand over that movie too, I know you're hiding it.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
As a priestess of the Two Goddesses whose symbol I bear - Utena, Sword of the Noble Rose and Anthy, Revelatrix of Absolute Destiny - I will petition their blessings for you until the end of my days. May their beneficence, as abundant in measure as it is manifold in form, shine down upon you!

This is probably why Shawne doesn't attend more conventions.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Holy crap...I must have completely missed the news about that Garden of Sinners release a month or so ago, because as soon as I looked it up on RightStuf, my jaw just about hit the floor. Shocked How...how can anyone be willing to pay that much for a single series? And a sub-only release, no less? Unbelievable. What was it that P.T. Barnum said? "There's a sucker born every minute"? Jeez...if I had that sort of money lying around, I could polish off pretty much my entire wish list.

I didn't listen to every single segment of the podcast yet, but it was great to hear from Shawne again. Lord knows I've spent a great deal of money at RightStuf in the past, and that'll probably go up by an order of magnitude as soon as I land myself a full-time job. Out of the topics covered, I'll agree that the inability to serve "cash consumers" is a definite negative, even if it doesn't wind up being a major blow to anime distributors. While I have no problem with ordering online, there's something fundamentally great about the experience of walking down a DVD aisle, handling the various products and seeing what's new. I sort of feel like online shopping in general is tailored more toward the consumer who already knows what they want to buy, whereas brick-and-mortar is the ideal experience for when you just want to browse for a little and see if something catches your eye. Fortunately, my local Best Buy was one that kept its anime section, although they sadly significantly decreased their overall DVD/Blu-ray area over the past few months. (As Shawne alluded to, that place in the store is now occupied mostly by electronic keyboards, which confuses the hell out of me.) I also have a local FYE, but as they usually charge MSRP and seem to have more random old Geneon singles than anything else, I don't buy much there.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

This is probably why Shawne doesn't attend more conventions.

Overenthusiastic fans? The same reason I don't attend any, in fact. However, there's nothing wrong with a little tongue-in-cheek hyperbole when expressing my thanks that Utena is in Nozomi's extremely good hands.

Besides, I know you are also of the faith, Justin.

::gives you a spritz::

Very Happy

Last edited by Cryssoberyl on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:45 am; edited 6 times in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
As a (pretty compulsive) collector, I so want to get that Garden of Sinners set, but then I'd probably have to cancel a few orders as well as hold off on any future orders (I want quite a few of those FUNi LEs).

I'd absolutely hate it if Borders closed. I don't think I'd be able to move over to Barnes & Noble. I love Borders Rewards. I wonder if Borders Rewards hurts the company, though. Heh, I got a $17.99 book for under $3.00 after a coupon and that $10 Borders Bucks they gave everyone.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
Re:TAF
Wasn't Kadokawa also part of the group who pulled out? If you combined all their separate members and projects, a number of the large booths would be reduced to a 2 or 3 shows from 10 or 15.

Re:Japan/Bill
While it is true that americans don't see what Akihabara is actually like, I really don't think the general attitude of the Japanese is anywhere as puritan as you are making it sound. Considering how raunchy some of the other late night (live action) shows are, "You watch late night anime, so you are a pervert" would just be hypocritical.

Re:Fractale
Nobody subs within an hour. That is basically impossible. What they do is they use Funimation's subs to speed up their own thus bringing the time from 8-12 hours down to 4-6 hours. Combined with ripping the videos from either hulu or funimation.com or youtube, this essentially means that free copies are available within a few min min to a few hours after to the rest of the world who is supposed to be blocked.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
I had to chuckle about the screaming fangirls at the Gantz movie premiere and even moreso at the guys' scratching their heads over it. Those of us in the live-action scene do so love our favorite actors/performers. While I may not scream (I do have some sense of decorum, however scant) I would probably make some sort of involuntary mewling sound if I got to see one of my favorite Johnnys in person. Actually, I would scream for SMAP. It would be totally undignified but who cares, it's SMAP. They're used to it. Anime hyper

So can I just add to the general feeling of goodwill towards Shawne and RightStuf in general on this site? I love them. After all, they started my addiction by introducing me to Gravitation and then years later licensing Junjou Romantica and now (though yes, it’s not BL) Antique Bakery. I finally bought a Got Anime? membership a few weeks ago and am sure it’ll more than pay for itself this year (actually I was probably over halfway there in early January). As others have mentioned, their packing is impressively thorough, on par or better than the pricey EMS boxes I’ve received from shops in Japan, and the frequent sales cannot be beat. I also appreciate that they carry live action stuff which as a fan of such puts them near and dear to my heart. I love that they specifically recognize that anime fandom frequently overlaps with drama fandom by stocking what few R1 K-dramas are available. Most of all probably is that I feel they're very accessible to their customers, not at all some big faceless corporation a la Amazon, etc. and all other things being equal I'd rather buy from a friendly face than a monolith.

Anyway, it was great to hear that Antique Bakery finally has a release date. I’ve enjoyed this franchise so much in its various forms, from manga to J-drama (though not entirely true to the source, it was the first one I ever watched) to anime to Korean film. I can’t wait to have this in my collection in this incarnation (now if only someone would license that film!).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
Awesome show. I enjoyed the first podcast with Shawne, and liked this one even better. It is encouraging to hear that sales have turned around.

I think the mention about the Funimation premium box that had sold out was about Black Butler. I remember seeing an e-mail that Funi sent around about it. That news, and the mention about the sales of Hetalia keeps me wondering about the purchase power of women in the R1 market, and whether it is increasing the way I've been suspecting it would. It still seems that there is a dismissive attitude about it, but so many indicators I've seen recently make me thing the demographic is changing a bit.

About the streaming thing - Personally speaking, streaming has resulted in more sales from me. For example, I was hesitant about buying NIS titles, since I hadn't seen any of the shows they had licensed. I was planning to buy Pandora Hearts bcause of the manga. Since I don't watch fansubs at all, I had no way of telling whether these shows were something I would want to own or not. Thankfully, NIS decided to offer these shows streaming on ANN, and I was able to sample them. The result being that now I have four NIS boxes instead of just two. I love to look at them on my shelves. I may buy more NIS shows going forward if they keep offering me the option of streaming the title first.

I'm really looking forward to Utena, but the talk about complications getting the rights to all these older shows is making me feel very pessimistic about the chances of ever seeing Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I at least had a little hope. Now I pretty much have none. Maybe someone will be able to stream it someday, but at this point, I don't even see much hope in that. Crying or Very sad

In any case, I have been very happy with Right Stuf. It is worth waiting on those manga orders. I had an out-of-print order for a title and I ended up getting it! Sure, it was a long wait, but I am so glad that I never cancelled the order. When it arrived in the mail, it felt like a gift.

Borders: I have to admit, that I haven't done my part in helping out Borders sales. As manga goes, I would sometime gingerly pick up a Borders copy, look at it, put it back, then go to Kinokuniya and buy a shrink-wrapped copy in pristine condition. Sorry, but manga cows hurt sales, at least for me. Why should I pay full price for a copy that is pre-slimed with cheeto dust, fast food fingers and/or boogers, when I can buy a guaranteed booger-free copy elsewhere for the same price?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
It's kind of insane to see how long it takes to get a DVD backordered from Bandai. Its kind of hard to justify buying Bandai unless it's in stock even when Rightstuf has a company sale. I basically have to put them at the bottom of the series I want to buy.

The one question I have is, what was with the blu-ray edition of FMA: Brotherhood Part 3 price point? It was 29.99 before the thing was even released. The recent Funimation sale actually raised the thing 3 bucks. That price point saved me a ton of money when you take in the fact that I could order it without waiting for the Funimation sale, which allowed me to bundle the order with some christmas sales to get the free shipping. Without it I would have had to talk myself into buying the limited edition of Mai Otome Zwei for a bunch of extras no one cared about like a T-shirt.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
Assorted Thoughts:

After being burnt multiple times on a manga series that stopped being released in the middle, I now only buy from Viz or buy completed series. And of course, if I want to buy a 10+ volume series, the odds are that one or more volumes will be out of stock. This sucks. And then I have to deal with suspicious people on e-bay.

Borders? Seriously? God, I hate that place. Who goes to Borders for anything these days? Barnes and Noble. Amazon. Problem solved.

Also, I guess I am also one those of free-speech hating Nazis, since I think that the anime industry really needs to be cleaned up. And the new law is, quite frankly, a much better deal than it could have been. Not that there isn't problems with the law, but they could have passed a much more restrictive one. Sometimes you just need to know when to fold 'em.

And yes, I would pay 400+ for Utena! And if you're considering releasing more Japanese blueray imports, I heard somewhere that the Nanoha movie had English subtitles...

\You know what would be an awesome old title to release? Majuu Senshi Luna Varga!
\\...Please, don't listen to me, I have horrible taste
\\\Varga Change!
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
So, is Borders almost guaranteed to go under? Not just in the States, but worldwide?

I certainly hope that Kinokuniya will replace them everywhere, hehehe.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

And yes, I would pay 400+ for Utena! And if you're considering releasing more Japanese blueray imports, I heard somewhere that the Nanoha movie had English subtitles...

The Nanoha movie does have English subs. I don't think it will get imported to say have a limited sale in the US. That's why I am glad that I imported the BD from Japan last month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
I'd absolutely love for Rightstuf to start stocking Japanese BDs with English subtitles. I'm buying the Time of Eve OVA BD with English subtitles from Amazon.co.jp right now, and the shipping for the order costs more than the item itself. Urrgh...

asimpson2006 wrote:

The Nanoha movie does have English subs. I don't think it will get imported to say have a limited sale in the US. That's why I am glad that I imported the BD from Japan last month.

And they're surprisingly good and professional English subs, too! Great release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8