• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Shawne Thing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Not so fast on the "audience" part there - people do care about quality as well. And while most people are generally satisfied with the quality CR puts out, quite many people can't take the compression artefact -laden mess of 360p video with hardsubs that FUNimation's free streams offer.

I'm outraged that you as a commentator at a supposedly "news" based site would not do the research to get your facts right on this. The maximum resolution of Funimation streams is 480p, at both Hulu and YouTube (though of course the video quality is higher at Hulu due to the bitrate constraints at YouTube).

BTW, Hulu says that episode 2 goes up sometime Monday.

Zac wrote:
So if you're worried about losing some kind of war for the hearts and minds of the anime fan community over whether or not fansubbers are a noble band of Robin Hoods stealing from the "rich" and giving to the "poor", a simply unavoidable part of the anime fan ecosystem, never to be blamed or even questioned when their actions damage the industry or even a specific stream... relax, you won that war. The mob is absolutely on the side of the fansubbers....
I'm one of the ones yelling at the Fractale Production Committee, and its precisely because their action is giving aid and comfort to the fansubbers, even if that is aid and comfort to the fansubbers at the expense of the scumsucking vermin that do streamrips (SVTDS).

Lance can come out and post an argument, "but its the fansubbers fault for provoking a grossly counterproductive reaction from the FPC" ~ and in some ultimate sense it is the fansubbers and the SVTDS, but the decision of the FPC to promote the illegal fansubbers at the expense of the illegal scumsucking vermin that do streamrips is hard to blame on either the fansubbers that received their support or the SVTDS that they attacked, precisely because its such a clear and evident counter-productive reaction to the problem posed by illegal online bootlegs.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daizo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Daizo wrote:
Not so fast on the "audience" part there - people do care about quality as well. And while most people are generally satisfied with the quality CR puts out, quite many people can't take the compression artefact -laden mess of 360p video with hardsubs that FUNimation's free streams offer.

I'm outraged that you as a commentator at a supposedly "news" based site would not do the research to get your facts right on this. The maximum resolution of Funimation streams is 480p, at both Hulu and YouTube (though of course the video quality is higher at Hulu due to the bitrate constraints at YouTube).

As far as I've heard, though, those 480p videos are nothing but upscales of the initial 360p simulcast. I would have confirmed this by myself if it wasn't for the fact that I'm region-blocked from both of them (and nobody rips these versions either). Meanwhile the information I've been talking about is not artificially restricted in any way.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

That's... hopeful?

I agree that one of the biggest problems, the biggest new challenge facing fansubbers, is that they can no longer just do what they like on the grounds that they are making something otherwise-inaccessible accessible; you have to take into consideration the growing legal access to simulcast anime, which would mean doing obscure or old or unrepresented shows that aren't being simulcast. Which may not be as fun, but it would be right.

And I do know that the issue of regions is still a big one, and it seems media industries as a whole, even beyond the scope of just the anime/manga sphere, has yet to realize that the digital age is making the system increasingly obsolete. That'll be a radical change when it happens, though. Meanwhile, yes, it sucks to live in the UK, Australia, and NZ.

But shouldn't the solution be more streaming rather than piracy? If I were an entrepeneur in these regions, I'd be seeing a market ready to be milked.

Anyway, I'll ask Zac again: which version of Gantz are you most fond of?
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
agila61 wrote:
On the confusion, I believe its likely that the RAWs went up before any of the subtitled bootlegs, and that the information on when the RAWs went up in Japan after episode 2 got tangled with the information on when the rips and then fansubs of episode 1 was released.

The first public raw release that went up only happened three minutes before HorribleSubs released their rip - thus even that happened after the simulcast had come out. For anything earlier, they'd have to have been monitoring Share or Perfect Dark, in which case it should've been incredibly obvious that it's Japanese people sharing encodes from the Fuji TV broadcast.

If we're getting our facts perfect, the first raw that comes out is a rip from another video website, thus the tiny resolution. Razz
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: this comment represents my views, and not the views of Anime News Network. Enjoy the comment.

Daizo wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Daizo wrote:

As far as I've heard, though, those 480p videos are nothing but upscales of the initial 360p simulcast. I would have confirmed this by myself if it wasn't for the fact that I'm region-blocked from both of them (and nobody rips these versions either). Meanwhile the information I've been talking about is not artificially restricted in any way.
OK, so you've "heard on the internet" that they are upscales, and that is the basis for the incessant repetition by the make excuses for bootleg distribution crowd that Funimation only makes 360p streams available?

And you have no way to check it out, so you accept random hearsay on the internet as the gospel? I continue to be outraged by how far your reporting is from the high journalistic standards that you should be held up to as a commentator at ANN.

And it is highly implausible that Funimation would first downscale its material to 360p, then throw away its original material, and then a little while later upscale its material to 480p from 360p. Its far more likely that this piece of "information" you are recounting comes from people seeing the lower video quality of a 480p YouTube stream and concluding that it was an upscale from 360p because they were ignorant of the YouTube bitrate limits.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Anyway, I'll ask Zac again: which version of Gantz are you most fond of?

I think the manga is phenomenal, although I'm way behind at the moment - I need to buy volumes 11 and up. The animation in the anime series is so bad it's distracting, but as an adaptation, story-wise (at least until the last arc) it works pretty well.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

So Hulu is still getting this show? Sorry if this is explained in the podcast because it's 8:50PM CT and it's still not shown up on ANNCasts feed Sad [I just thought I'd update ANN on this - I did download it but I wasn't feeling well most of the day so nothing got done, let alone listening to my backlog of podcasts that have come in on the feed (the ANNCast had to go into a music playlist I use for podcast backup).]
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes Hulu doesn't update their availability notes. So it could be wrong.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Sometimes Hulu doesn't update their availability notes. So it could be wrong.
Yes, I have no way of telling if this is recent (which would be very good news) or what they originally said, since I watched Fractale episode 1 via YouTube on my Roku.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I think the manga is phenomenal, although I'm way behind at the moment - I need to buy volumes 11 and up. The animation in the anime series is so bad it's distracting, but as an adaptation, story-wise (at least until the last arc) it works pretty well.

It's been long enough that I don't much remember the animation, but I wasn't that impressed with the art of the manga either, which I found awkward, with a lot of "dull surprise." What got me into the former was the characters, which were obviously there in the manga but lord, 26 episodes was all I could stand of the story and the prospect of reading something three times longer made me queasy. I think Gantz and Shigurui stand as my limits on black, cynical, violence, and sexual; my beloved Berserk has never made me feel as icky as they did, I don't know why. It must be a subjective thing, I guess.

The movie does sound not-good from your review in the parts where you note that it lacks the strongest part of the series, the development of the characters and Kei's growth. Just the plot is silly, it's the cast that makes it work.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
wow I haven't even listened to the podcast yet. Evil little trolls.

I always feel bad for Zac and Justin when I see this crap. Everyone nit picks minor details instead of understanding the larger problem.

This is the problem, its the same for low budget TV or big budget movies but doesn't effect them as hard because they unquestionably have a larger audience to work with than anime does.
1. print media/physical copies have plummeted.
2. you can torrent anything. and don't give me that a lot of people like to watch it on tv because there's a million different ways to get it from your computer to your tv
3. rewatch value. most people aren't collectors add that to problem number 1 any and every illegal view is one less profit from a streaming, rental or purchases. Once a individual has seen it that's it. when the dvd, the legal streaming or the rights to said person's region are granted what incentive to they have to watch/purchase this product? Fact is there are many things a person will watch and enjoy and never make an effort to watch again that's profit lost.

The problem is not solely fansubbing, streaming rips, your local bookstore's manga cows or any individual site nor is it the intent of the individuals of who make them available. It's just the cause and effect of what illegal consumption does. Entertainment requires work and everyone deserves to get paid for their work its not charity.

So big hugs to everyone at ANN and especially for Zac and Justin. I'm going to listen to the podcast now. <3 I support ANN and legal media consumption.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one not getting the podcast in itunes at all. I'm only seeing last weeks show? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Am I the only one not getting the podcast in itunes at all. I'm only seeing last weeks show? Question

We're having some kind of an issue with how often the RSS feed updates. It's being looked in to, I'm hoping we'll have the problem fixed by next week; as it is it seems to take about 24-42 hours for the show to appear on iTunes.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
Also on topic I was glad to hear limited edition and collectors edition talk on the podcast as well. I'm a big fan of big artboxes (I'm looking at you Kara no Kyoukai sitting in my TRSI orders), better packaging (chipboard, or even just higher grade thinpaks like the older ADV ones with good artwork vs some of Funi's like the Claymore BD ) extras, and bonus items ... and I hope to see it continue into 2011. I think if it is economically feasible that a dual type release for most series how Shawn spoke of the limited edition coming out first and then a basic or value line which is really just the discs in the case nothing fancy about it would be great. I also hope for more Japanese release BD's with English subs to be made more readily available in the future. I know I jumped at the chance for KnK (even though all I've seen is a trailer), and would for many other titles as well. Even if it's just the big titles like GitS and others of that sort I would be very likely to purchase them.

No freaking thank you, especially not for something relatively big like Kara no Kyoukai or big shows/movies blocking dual-language releases, I'll be pissed if we never get a "real" release of these movies, they look way too good to be reduced to such a tiny audience even including only a small segment of the sub-only watchers and I'm a collector who's occasionally imported, just not ~400+ bucks.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 am; edited 7 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
Entertainment requires work and everyone deserves to get paid for their work its not charity.

YES! YES! THIS! Whenever people start talking about how intellectual rights have no meaning because ideas aren't concrete things to sell, remind them that you compensate people for time and energy put into making something as well as the things itself. It was actually working on a fansubbing team that made me realize how important this element is; if you are an amateur group, you can generally do it quickly and poorly or slowly and well. Why? Because it isn't your job, you cannot focus on this. Real-life delays get in the way. Pay people well to do something, and suddenly you get higher product because nobody is pulling a second job that interferes.

And the arguments about movie starts and musicians making too much money don't fly in the world of anime and manga distribution; very few people get rich off this business, they really do need that money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8