• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inu × Boku SS Manga Enters Final Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisy23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Why people seem so disappointed and surprised about the events?
The story still is a comedy. The main difference is that now it has a clear plot. Fujiwara Cocoa likes angst in her long comedy mangas like dear. If you go back to the first chapters it was foreshadowed.

The translations still haven't reached the interesting parts of the second arc, the end of the second arc was very beautiful in my opinion.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
daisy23 wrote:
The translations still haven't reached the interesting parts of the second arc, the end of the second arc was very beautiful in my opinion.

Intriguing! Do you mean to say there's spoiler[yet another cycle of reincarnation after the second one?] I've been enjoying the manga story. I'm glad the anime ended on a happy note (as I've no doubt the manga will too, eventually) but it's interesting to see things play out with these characters in a much darker context.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
daisy23 wrote:
I don't think it is a cancellation. Cocoa Fujiwara doesn't write long stories (the longest one is dear with 12 volumes, 13 if you count its prequel Watashi no Ookami-san)

It would actually be 14 volumes since there are two for the prequel and twelve for the main story.

I'm sad that it's ending because it's turned into a really great story. I hope she starts up something soon after, though, because Fujiwara's work has been some of my favorite over the years.
daisy23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
@razhel.rose You're right it had 2 volumes though I tend to forget the last one. I like the main characters of volume 2 better in dear.

@neocloud9 Summary of the end of the second arc
spoiler[Watanuki is 13 years old with no memories of his past life and Karuta is his SS. He and Inugami become friends until Inugami starts his evil plans again and writes a farewell letter to Watanuki.

He went to Shinohara (the old woman who founded Maison de Ayakashi and is now a little girl addicted to the PSP) and used the sakura tree she guarded to travel to the past. If you travel to the past you can't reincarnate anymore.

Kagerou offered himself to catch Inugami but Karuta stopped him. Watanuki gave the idea of sending letters to their past selves and warn them.

The second arc ends with Sorinozuka and the bartender's son during the last episode of the anime (basically we return to the first arc). The only change is that when they're going to dig the time capsule with the letters they find the letters from 23 years in the future.

The last page reveals that the second arc is called if.]
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'm putting my money on this being a cancellation rather than a proper ending. The manga recently got really confusing for a stretch of what must have been 5 months or so...wouldn't surprise me if it turned off a lot of readers, especially as it was happening just as the series was getting good.

Both the manga and the anime are a smash hit. I'm sure that we're going to get a second season considering the sales that we got. BTW if you have read the manga then it is obvious that there was always going to be 3 arcs of as they are called in the manga 'chapters' . The anime covers most of the first arc, apart from the shock that ends the first arc. If you watch the anime closely you'll see quite a bit of foreshadowing.

Personally I loved what was done to the story at the end of the first arc and the second, even though it was heart breaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2