• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney producers talk Ghibli dubs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Just a grumpy comment: In the interest of brevity, I really wish they had omitted the questions for which the interviewee had no answer. It's a waste of my time reading through these questions, some of which are fairly long-winded, just to find out that there was never an answer given to the question.

Case in point: The long question about the subtitles on The Cat Returns. Not only is it totally off-topic, but the guy had no answer! What's the point of including it then? Sheesh.

------RM
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, would I hate to sit next to you during a Presidential Debate. Wink Just kidding.

An answer is an answer, no matter how bad it may seem.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree on that one. Unless you read everything from the bottom of your screen, it's pretty easy to see the "A: Sorry, don't know anything about that one." in white and skip along if you prefer. With the way so many interviews are edited and re-edited, I think it's kind of refreshing to get a straight Q&A.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I agree with Ryan.

For news purposes, it can be important to report a "no-comment" / "I don't know," but for an interview, I see no point in including it, unless the interviewer wants to make some sort of point by including it... "Look was they don't know!"

-t
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
I have to say that it makes sense to me now why The Cat Returns came out before Whisper of the Heart; for a while, I was completely confused why the former was released first. I can't wait for Yamadas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bluechibi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
I want to know, why they are suddenly having legal problems with things like Fox's rights to Totoro and the use of country roads during or after their completion. I'd have thought it's one of the first things you would try and resolve.

Also these interviews are good at showing that Ghibli has a lot of say and that some of the things Ghibli fans would say "oh god I can't believe they've delayed it" or "i cant believe they they changed this and that" and then it turns out to be because of Ghibli and not them.

For example - "We preferred "ohmu," but Studio Ghibli preferred "ohm."
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
I want to know, why they are suddenly having legal problems with things like Fox's rights to Totoro and the use of country roads during or after their completion. I'd have thought it's one of the first things you would try and resolve.

I never got what the problem with "Country Road" could possibly be, Disney has money coming out of it's oversized mouse ears, just buy the rights to use the song and be done with it, people do it all the time. Rolling Eyes
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
You don't know how much money the John Denver estate is asking for for the rights to use the song and neither do I. It could be that they're asking for so much money that it would make a significant dent in the profitability of the title based on how many copies of Whisper of the Heart Disney thinks it's going to sell. In other words, the "opportunity costs" were too high to carry through with the dub, and only now have the cost of the music rights been negotiated down enough that they can resume with the dubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Howl-s_Maiden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hah, lucky I bought the fox version before whatever...

I am a tremendous fan of Miyazaki, and I am learning Japanese in order to go on a trip when his movies are released in Japan, to see them earlier. I really don't think he will stop making films outright, I think he's got at least 100 more ideas that are screaming to be animated.

Totoro introduced me to anime in a way no Yu-gi-oh could ever have hoped, so I plan to watch every one of his movies, Japanese, or English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1