• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei to Release One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Hasn't that comic been posted enough already?

No. And like it or not, it's the truth....in a morbid, humorous way.....
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Hasn't that comic been posted enough already?

Ha, that was the first time I'd seen it. Oh so metaphorically true though. It annoys me that people who haven't seen One Piece and even some that have call it a 'kid's show'. I do not think One Piece is a kid's show so much as it is a 'family show'. Sanji's dialogue should be enough to tell you that alone, without everything else in it.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I've never heard this, certainly not in those words. Can you find where they've stated this?

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=120119

Quote:
Now this I don't believe at all. They've always firmly stated that Pokemon was a childrens show that could not support uncut sales. I've never heard them state otherwise and I've never heard of anyone pointing to such a thing when begging for the show uncut.

http://www.license-europe.com/licenseeurope/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=58683

Quote:
Why, because they used it in their preview? I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean anything.

Sure it does. It means that they have it. I see no point in using such an intolerable theme song over one that's already dubbed.

Quote:
Geeze, they just said that a couple months ago, give them time.

Not just a couple months ago, they said that three years ago too. Where are we in 2005? Three shows uncut - two have been delayed with 2-3 volumes a piece and one got a subtitled release.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly why they did that, and I guess that's why Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children didn't come out last year, because S-E and every other company just loves to piss everyone off. Or it could be because FUNimation is doing the release and their schedule is already booked solid as it is, delays happen. Besides, they said they were going to release uncut DVDs, and they released uncut DVDs, but they never said they'd get the entire series out on DVD. Also consider that if the sales have been as poor as people are saying they could be pushing the DVDs back because the interest isn't there and there's no reason to make them a priority (most likely).

If you think that they never said they'd get the whole shows out is justification for delaying them for no reason, then you're wrong, and it only gives me more reason to hate them. YGO and Shaman King both sold well. Shaman had nothing to "compete" against, and if I recall, both Al Kahn and another 4Kids rep said that the YGO uncuts were hits (Kahn contradicted himself in that interview many times, but another 4Kids rep said they were hits in a press release on the third Yu-Gi-Oh DVD).

YGO edited is selling poorly as well now, so under that logic 4Kids should cut it. There was no reason to delay the uncut DVDs after they've already been announced, and 4Kids has no priority when it comes to pleasing their fans, which IMO should be first and foremost for a company... especially one with their kind of rep.

Quote:
Well, guess what, they aren't an anime company. They don't need you or your money, anything they do outside of TV and kid products is pure bonus.

Yep, because One Piece is a breakout hit with the kids. Do you know which section it's going to be shelved in when the DVD comes out? Anime. Al Kahn could bullshit on Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh this way, but he can't on the other properties he's acquired. 4Kids is an anime company because they dub anime, and they rarely do anything else. To say that they aren't is complete ignorance, and the way they're running things they have no idea what's going on in the industry they've entered (regardless of whether or not they wanted to).
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I've never heard this, certainly not in those words. Can you find where they've stated this?

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=120119

That says "minimum amount of changes necessary to air One Piece on American TV" which I feel is exactly what we got for the time and network it was placed on. They also said "there are a certain issues that I think for our audience that we need to be concerned about. Those things include depictions or embracing of any idea of smoking, drinking and certain kinds of acts of violence. We want to be sure that we’re not endorsing things that we don’t want kids in this country repeating." Obviously that's exactly what they did. They didn't decieve anyone, they put it right out on the table and that's exactly what we got.

Quote:
Quote:
Now this I don't believe at all. They've always firmly stated that Pokemon was a childrens show that could not support uncut sales. I've never heard them state otherwise and I've never heard of anyone pointing to such a thing when begging for the show uncut.

http://www.license-europe.com/licenseeurope/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=58683

I'll admit, you've got me on that one, but the way it's stated it is only half false.

Quote:
Quote:
Why, because they used it in their preview? I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean anything.

Sure it does. It means that they have it. I see no point in using such an intolerable theme song over one that's already dubbed.

I don't know their reasons for going with the different song, but in no way does using the original song indicate that they plan on using it on the show. Just because they have it doesn't mean they have to use it.

Quote:
Quote:
Geeze, they just said that a couple months ago, give them time.

Not just a couple months ago, they said that three years ago too. Where are we in 2005? Three shows uncut - two have been delayed with 2-3 volumes a piece and one got a subtitled release.

Three years ago they said just Pokemon and Yugioh by the link you provided. Only a few months ago they said everything.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly why they did that, and I guess that's why Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children didn't come out last year, because S-E and every other company just loves to piss everyone off. Or it could be because FUNimation is doing the release and their schedule is already booked solid as it is, delays happen. Besides, they said they were going to release uncut DVDs, and they released uncut DVDs, but they never said they'd get the entire series out on DVD. Also consider that if the sales have been as poor as people are saying they could be pushing the DVDs back because the interest isn't there and there's no reason to make them a priority (most likely).

If you think that they never said they'd get the whole shows out is justification for delaying them for no reason, then you're wrong, and it only gives me more reason to hate them. YGO and Shaman King both sold well. Shaman had nothing to "compete" against, and if I recall, both Al Kahn and another 4Kids rep said that the YGO uncuts were hits (Kahn contradicted himself in that interview many times, but another 4Kids rep said they were hits in a press release on the third Yu-Gi-Oh DVD).

Press releases will call anything a hit if they think it'll help it sell better.

Quote:
YGO edited is selling poorly as well now, so under that logic 4Kids should cut it. There was no reason to delay the uncut DVDs after they've already been announced, and 4Kids has no priority when it comes to pleasing their fans, which IMO should be first and foremost for a company... especially one with their kind of rep.

Like I've said, 4Kids is out there for TV and merchandise, that's how they please their fans. FUNimation can please everyone else with the DVD release (whom I think are ultimately responcible for the delays).

Quote:
Quote:
Well, guess what, they aren't an anime company. They don't need you or your money, anything they do outside of TV and kid products is pure bonus.

Yep, because One Piece is a breakout hit with the kids. Do you know which section it's going to be shelved in when the DVD comes out? Anime. Al Kahn could bullshit on Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh this way, but he can't on the other properties he's acquired. 4Kids is an anime company because they dub anime, and they rarely do anything else. To say that they aren't is complete ignorance, and the way they're running things they have no idea what's going on in the industry they've entered (regardless of whether or not they wanted to).

This isn't coming from Al Khan, this is coming from me. 4Kids is not an anime company. Saying that they rarely do anything that isn't anime is pure ignorance. Winx Club, Ninja Turtles, Cramp Twins, Martin Mystery, Cubix, Funky Cops, Alien Racers, Cabage Patch Kids, and Crash Dummies (among other new shows coming in the fall) are all non anime properties of theirs. They're strategy is to get animation from where ever they can get it, whether it's Europe, Japan, or right here in the USA, and make it work for them. Yes, they do have a lot of anime, but Japan produces a lot of animation so it makes sence that they'd be able to get more anime than anything. Yes, they are aware of the popularity of anime, but it's not their focus.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
That says "minimum amount of changes necessary to air One Piece on American TV" which I feel is exactly what we got for the time and network it was placed on. They also said "there are a certain issues that I think for our audience that we need to be concerned about. Those things include depictions or embracing of any idea of smoking, drinking and certain kinds of acts of violence. We want to be sure that we’re not endorsing things that we don’t want kids in this country repeating." Obviously that's exactly what they did. They didn't decieve anyone, they put it right out on the table and that's exactly what we got.

No, we didn't get the "minimum amount" of changes. We got horrible mistranslations, music changes, pointless censorship (ARE POTS AND PANS OFFENSIVE?), and overall gutting the feel of the show. You can not argue this point otherwise. And characters die on other 4Kids TV shows like Ninja Turtles and Shaman King, so saying that Bellemere and Kuina's deaths had to be censored is bullshit.

Quote:
I don't know their reasons for going with the different song, but in no way does using the original song indicate that they plan on using it on the show. Just because they have it doesn't mean they have to use it.

What kind of a dumbass dubs an anime theme song, then decides to scrap it for something new? It only wastes more resources, but 4Kids are experts at that.

Quote:
Three years ago they said just Pokemon and Yugioh by the link you provided. Only a few months ago they said everything.

Three years ago they only had those two shows. If they had the lineup they do today he probably WOULD have said "everything".

Quote:
Press releases will call anything a hit if they think it'll help it sell better.

Why do you think Shaman King volume 3 never got released while Yu-Gi-Oh volume 3 did?

Quote:
Like I've said, 4Kids is out there for TV and merchandise, that's how they please their fans. FUNimation can please everyone else with the DVD release (whom I think are ultimately responcible for the delays).

Because kids know 4Kids as a name. Right -_- It's only recently that they're trying to cram it down people's throats.

But FUNi's fault? That's a good one, really. FUNi is still releasing edited Yu-Gi-Oh and 4Kids Ninja Turtles. Besides that, the only thing that FUNi does is distribute the discs. And didn't Al Kahn say that the delay was a 4Kids issue?

Quote:
This isn't coming from Al Khan, this is coming from me. 4Kids is not an anime company. Saying that they rarely do anything that isn't anime is pure ignorance. Winx Club, Ninja Turtles, Cramp Twins, Martin Mystery, Cubix, Funky Cops, Alien Racers, Cabage Patch Kids, and Crash Dummies (among other new shows coming in the fall) are all non anime properties of theirs. They're strategy is to get animation from where ever they can get it, whether it's Europe, Japan, or right here in the USA, and make it work for them. Yes, they do have a lot of anime, but Japan produces a lot of animation so it makes sence that they'd be able to get more anime than anything. Yes, they are aware of the popularity of anime, but it's not their focus.

Emerje

They're an anime company. They make their own shit but they are first and foremost an anime company because the only thing that might have higher priority than dubbing is TMNT, which is the only self-created hit of theirs. Regardless of their intentions, they've been sucked into the anime industry because dubbing anime is where their priorities lie.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Yash is correct in saying that One Piece is excessively edited. Shaman King consistently gets away with things that are always cut out of One Piece (namely guns). Not to mention that editing entire episodes together at the cost of character development scenes can't possibly be necessary.

Also, 4Kids claims that One Piece is heavily marketable, but it's been over a year, and I still haven't seen so much as an action figure.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
We're obviously not going to agree, but I'll reply anyway.

Yashouzoid wrote:
No, we didn't get the "minimum amount" of changes. We got horrible mistranslations, music changes, pointless censorship (ARE POTS AND PANS OFFENSIVE?), and overall gutting the feel of the show. You can not argue this point otherwise. And characters die on other 4Kids TV shows like Ninja Turtles and Shaman King, so saying that Bellemere and Kuina's deaths had to be censored is bullshit.

I still say their description pretty well outlined how extensive the edits would be. I don't disagree that One Piece got a raw deal, I do disagree that 4Kids said they'd be doing anything otherwise with it.

Quote:
What kind of a dumbass dubs an anime theme song, then decides to scrap it for something new? It only wastes more resources, but 4Kids are experts at that.

Who says they scrapped it for something new? They could have done their openning first and then gone back and redone the original. I guess you'd rather they hadn't dubbed the original openning at all, would have saved resources right? And you're assuming that that's the last we've heard of it, there are still opportunities to use it again elsewhere (video games, DVDs, Soundtracks, etc). You're being too pessimistic, atleast they used the song rather than let it go altogether.

Quote:
Three years ago they only had those two shows. If they had the lineup they do today he probably WOULD have said "everything".

But he didn't so don't put words in his mouth.

Quote:
Why do you think Shaman King volume 3 never got released while Yu-Gi-Oh volume 3 did?

Because it did slightly better, it's only one more volume than Shaman King.

Quote:
Because kids know 4Kids as a name. Right -_- It's only recently that they're trying to cram it down people's throats.

Kids don't care about uncut releases, the just care about getting cartoons on TV. It's not the kids who are complaining about uncut shows, it's people like you who are trying to make 4Kids out to be a company they're not.

Quote:
But FUNi's fault? That's a good one, really. FUNi is still releasing edited Yu-Gi-Oh and 4Kids Ninja Turtles. Besides that, the only thing that FUNi does is distribute the discs. And didn't Al Kahn say that the delay was a 4Kids issue?

Has 4Kids even addressed the delays at all? You're great at digging up dirt on them, I'm sure you've got it bookmared somewhere.

Quote:
They're an anime company. They make their own shit but they are first and foremost an anime company because the only thing that might have higher priority than dubbing is TMNT, which is the only self-created hit of theirs. Regardless of their intentions, they've been sucked into the anime industry because dubbing anime is where their priorities lie.

They're not an anime company, saying otherwise is BS. If France made more popular shows they'd do more shows from there. Just because a company has anime doesn't make them an anime company. I suppose Disney is an anime company too because they're releasing the Miyazaki movies, or Nelvana is an anime company because they've got a few as well? Anime is popular right now, it's the in thing, it's easy to market and there's a lot of it, that's the only reason why they have so much of it. The truth is they have as many non anime shows as they do anime shows. Why? Because they are an animation company, NOT an anime company.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Who says they scrapped it for something new? They could have done their openning first and then gone back and redone the original. I guess you'd rather they hadn't dubbed the original openning at all, would have saved resources right? And you're assuming that that's the last we've heard of it, there are still opportunities to use it again elsewhere (video games, DVDs, Soundtracks, etc). You're being too pessimistic, atleast they used the song rather than let it go altogether.

They did dub the original OP, and they only showed it once, and the only way you can see it is on a site with terrible video quality and a ton of shit interfering with the audio. If they were honest about it and showed the rap opening in the first place, yes, I would probably be less pissed.

Quote:
But he didn't so don't put words in his mouth.

Meh.

Quote:

I recall Al Kahn saying that the edited version is doing poorly now, and I'm willing to bet anything that the uncut versions sold better in their initial release.

Quote:
Kids don't care about uncut releases, the just care about getting cartoons on TV. It's not the kids who are complaining about uncut shows, it's people like you who are trying to make 4Kids out to be a company they're not.

Thing is, kids don't care about One Piece. The only success it could possibly have is with the pre-existing fanbase who got hooked via US Shounen Jump or fansubs.

Quote:
Has 4Kids even addressed the delays at all? You're great at digging up dirt on them, I'm sure you've got it bookmared somewhere.

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/sunday.php?id=35

Quote:
They're not an anime company, saying otherwise is BS. If France made more popular shows they'd do more shows from there. Just because a company has anime doesn't make them an anime company. I suppose Disney is an anime company too because they're releasing the Miyazaki movies, or Nelvana is an anime company because they've got a few as well? Anime is popular right now, it's the in thing, it's easy to market and there's a lot of it, that's the only reason why they have so much of it. The truth is they have as many non anime shows as they do anime shows. Why? Because they are an animation company, NOT an anime company.

Emerje

But hey, France cartoons aren't popular, Japan cartoons are and that's what they do, so they're an anime company. Over half of their library is anime. Disney is not an anime company because their priorities lie in making their own films, same for Nelvana. 4Kids however focuses on making anime dubs, so I consider them an anime company.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The Al Khan interview brings up a lot of good points, I'm glad you linked to it below.

Yashouzoid wrote:
They did dub the original OP, and they only showed it once, and the only way you can see it is on a site with terrible video quality and a ton of shit interfering with the audio. If they were honest about it and showed the rap opening in the first place, yes, I would probably be less pissed.

From the ANN interview on why the went with the rap: "Yeah, well.. we liked it, we thought it was good. And we thought it was going to be something that'd have a lot of popularity. There wasn't anything more to it than that." Maybe they were going to use the dub openning, maybe not, I'm still going to stand by my original point that using a song in a promo does not mean they have to use it in a show.

Quote:
Quote:

I recall Al Kahn saying that the edited version is doing poorly now, and I'm willing to bet anything that the uncut versions sold better in their initial release.

From the ANN interview on the cut version: "For Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King? Yeah, they've been extraordinarily successful... Obviously Yu-Gi-Oh! has been extraordinarily successful here." Gee, sounds extraordinary. Now let's compare that to his responce on how well the uncut version is doing: "...those things do, you know, reasonably well. The market for them just isn't as large as the one for the cut version." Yeah, sounds the uncut versions are a hot seller. He also goes on to say that the reason for the delays is because they're staggering the cut and uncut releases, so if the uncut versions were selling so well don't you think it'd be the cut versions getting the delays?

Quote:
Thing is, kids don't care about One Piece. The only success it could possibly have is with the pre-existing fanbase who got hooked via US Shounen Jump or fansubs.

That's not what the ratings for the same cut on Toonami are saying. But really, why couldn't kids like One Piece, little kids watch it in Japan, why not here?

Quote:
Quote:

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/sunday.php?id=35

Yeah, and remember what I wrote in my first reply? "Also consider that if the sales have been as poor as people are saying they could be pushing the DVDs back because the interest isn't there and there's no reason to make them a priority (most likely)." After reading the interview again, gee, turns out I was right, they weren't a piority, turns out the cut versions are.

Quote:
But hey, France cartoons aren't popular, Japan cartoons are and that's what they do, so they're an anime company. Over half of their library is anime. Disney is not an anime company because their priorities lie in making their own films, same for Nelvana. 4Kids however focuses on making anime dubs, so I consider them an anime company.

Just barely over half of their animation is anime, we're talking like 55% anime to 45% non anime here. Not only are they not an anime company because they don't work with just anime, but they're not an anime company because they don't intend for their shows to be viewed in the same you would view anime from other companies. Notice that Al Khan rarely says localize, but rather westernize which should tell you right there that they don't particularly care where their shows come from as long as they can make it sell. I'll say it again, they are NOT an anime company, they are an animation company and you haven't said anything to prove the contrary. Simply licensing anime does not make anime a company's focus, it certainly isn't 4Kids focus, never has been, and if they don't get good uncut sales never will be.

Emerje
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
From the ANN interview on why the went with the rap: "Yeah, well.. we liked it, we thought it was good. And we thought it was going to be something that'd have a lot of popularity. There wasn't anything more to it than that." Maybe they were going to use the dub openning, maybe not, I'm still going to stand by my original point that using a song in a promo does not mean they have to use it in a show.

This gives off the impression that 4K!DS had both OPs ready from the start and that they were deciding one or the other. If they had the rap OP from the beginning, that's what they would have shown. I remember it being classified as "One Piece dub's theme song".

Quote:
From the ANN interview on the cut version: "For Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King? Yeah, they've been extraordinarily successful... Obviously Yu-Gi-Oh! has been extraordinarily successful here." Gee, sounds extraordinary. Now let's compare that to his responce on how well the uncut version is doing: "...those things do, you know, reasonably well. The market for them just isn't as large as the one for the cut version." Yeah, sounds the uncut versions are a hot seller. He also goes on to say that the reason for the delays is because they're staggering the cut and uncut releases, so if the uncut versions were selling so well don't you think it'd be the cut versions getting the delays?

Al Kahn contradicted himself a lot in that interview, so I wouldn't take it as hard evidence. He also said that the reason they pulled the uncuts was because they "compete" with the edited versions, which is obvious bullshit because Shaman King never had an edited release to begin with.

Kahn's saying that profits for the edited tapes dropped as well, so clearly there's more to it then "Oh we don't want the two to conflict".

Quote:
That's not what the ratings for the same cut on Toonami are saying. But really, why couldn't kids like One Piece, little kids watch it in Japan, why not here?

There are ratings reports that have come in, they don't mention One Piece. They mention Justice League and Teen Titans. If One Piece is the big hit that Kahn is making it out to be, then I think THAT would be mentioned instead.

Kids don't like One Piece (dub) here because it... drumroll...

SUCKS.

Quote:
Yeah, and remember what I wrote in my first reply? "Also consider that if the sales have been as poor as people are saying they could be pushing the DVDs back because the interest isn't there and there's no reason to make them a priority (most likely)." After reading the interview again, gee, turns out I was right, they weren't a piority, turns out the cut versions are.

Of course they aren't a priority, I never said they were. I've heard the exact opposite. The only thing I've read that supports that the DVDs bombed was Al Kahn's interview, and Al Kahn is a dumbass who has no real idea of what's going on in his company and the industry he works in. I mean, Kirby aiming for the 8-14 audience? LOL.

Quote:
Just barely over half of their animation is anime, we're talking like 55% anime to 45% non anime here. Not only are they not an anime company because they don't work with just anime, but they're not an anime company because they don't intend for their shows to be viewed in the same you would view anime from other companies. Notice that Al Khan rarely says localize, but rather westernize which should tell you right there that they don't particularly care where their shows come from as long as they can make it sell. I'll say it again, they are NOT an anime company, they are an animation company and you haven't said anything to prove the contrary. Simply licensing anime does not make anime a company's focus, it certainly isn't 4Kids focus, never has been, and if they don't get good uncut sales never will be.

Emerje

In this case westernize means localize, so that was completely irrelevant. With 4Kids starting to go to cons, I'm willing to bet that in the next five years they'll take a FUNimation-like turn around... pipe dream, but meh. Licensing anime doesn't make anime their focus, but if their focus is licensing anime then yes, their focus is anime. And that's what their focus is. Licensing anime.

They are not known for Monster Jam, The Cramp Twins, Winx Club, and other shit, they are known for butchering their ANIME. Winx Club got a raw deal too, but you don't see anyone bitching about that.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
This gives off the impression that 4K!DS had both OPs ready from the start and that they were deciding one or the other. If they had the rap OP from the beginning, that's what they would have shown. I remember it being classified as "One Piece dub's theme song".

Informally by the people who watched the preview not knowing that they weren't going to actually use it.

Quote:
Al Kahn contradicted himself a lot in that interview, so I wouldn't take it as hard evidence. He also said that the reason they pulled the uncuts was because they "compete" with the edited versions, which is obvious bullshit because Shaman King never had an edited release to begin with.

Kahn's saying that profits for the edited tapes dropped as well, so clearly there's more to it then "Oh we don't want the two to conflict".

I get it, so when the interview doesn't agree with you it's worthless, but when it does agree with you it's worth bringing up.

Quote:
There are ratings reports that have come in, they don't mention One Piece. They mention Justice League and Teen Titans. If One Piece is the big hit that Kahn is making it out to be, then I think THAT would be mentioned instead.

This was according to a 4Kids confrence call back in May. They stated that One Piece was the number one show on Toonami with the 6-11 demographic. Kids DO like One Piece.

Quote:
Kids don't like One Piece (dub) here because it... drumroll...

No, that's why YOU don't like One Piece, unless you actually are part of the kids demographic.

Quote:
Of course they aren't a priority, I never said they were. I've heard the exact opposite. The only thing I've read that supports that the DVDs bombed was Al Kahn's interview, and Al Kahn is a dumbass who has no real idea of what's going on in his company and the industry he works in. I mean, Kirby aiming for the 8-14 audience? LOL.

And there you go again about the same interview that you yourself pointed out. Smooth.

Quote:
In this case westernize means localize, so that was completely irrelevant.

Not true, normal localization referes to making a show watchable, domesticating it. Westernization in the 4Kids sense of the word litterally means to make the show appear to be from the west. To paraphrase another Al Khan interview, "when we're done, kids wont know it's from Japan anymore."

Quote:
With 4Kids starting to go to cons, I'm willing to bet that in the next five years they'll take a FUNimation-like turn around... pipe dream, but meh. Licensing anime doesn't make anime their focus, but if their focus is licensing anime then yes, their focus is anime. And that's what their focus is. Licensing anime.

If they make the turn around, then I'd be willing to call them an an anime company, but their current focus is not anime, it's animation.

Quote:
They are not known for Monster Jam, The Cramp Twins, Winx Club, and other shit, they are known for butchering their ANIME. Winx Club got a raw deal too, but you don't see anyone bitching about that.

The other shows are only less known because anime is the in thing right now, if it wasn't nobody would be thinking twice about it and it certainly isn't stopping 4Kids from continuing to license non anime programs. And how is Winx Club getting a raw deal? It gets an hour long block on 4Kids TV and twice a day five days a week on Cartoon Network. If anything Winx Club is making out better than anything else from 4Kids right now.

Emerje
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The point is, One Piece to the 6-11 age demographic is still bloody tragic, considering it's supposed to be around 12-30.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I get it, so when the interview doesn't agree with you it's worthless, but when it does agree with you it's worth bringing up.

I wouldn't trust that interview at all. However, the fact of Yu-Gi-Oh being successful has been confirmed elsewhere.

Quote:
This was according to a 4Kids confrence call back in May. They stated that One Piece was the number one show on Toonami with the 6-11 demographic. Kids DO like One Piece.

Even if it was at one point, it isn't anymore. I call bullshit on his statement, because One Piece was never mentioned in ratings reports.

Quote:
No, that's why YOU don't like One Piece, unless you actually are part of the kids demographic.

9-14? Yep. But then you'll argue that it's 6-11, so meh. Kids don't like One Piece, quit deluding yourself into thinking otherwise.

Quote:
And there you go again about the same interview that you yourself pointed out. Smooth.

You asked for the delay question, I gave it. No, I don't trust that interview. Just saying it as a side, because apparently you seem to believe every word.

Quote:
Not true, normal localization referes to making a show watchable, domesticating it. Westernization in the 4Kids sense of the word litterally means to make the show appear to be from the west. To paraphrase another Al Khan interview, "when we're done, kids wont know it's from Japan anymore."

That's localizing it to an extreme. We're in the west.

Not that you can make it seem like anime is from the west. Anyone with eyes could tell anime from American.

Quote:
If they make the turn around, then I'd be willing to call them an an anime company, but their current focus is not anime, it's animation.

The majority of which comes from Japan, which fits in the "genre" (bullshit) of "anime" here, thus making them an anime company because they dub anime.

Quote:
The other shows are only less known because anime is the in thing right now, if it wasn't nobody would be thinking twice about it and it certainly isn't stopping 4Kids from continuing to license non anime programs. And how is Winx Club getting a raw deal? It gets an hour long block on 4Kids TV and twice a day five days a week on Cartoon Network. If anything Winx Club is making out better than anything else from 4Kids right now.

Emerje

No, Winx got hackjob treatment just like everything else. Quit talking about shit you apparently don't know anything about.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Quit talking about shit you apparently don't know anything about.

Wow, I must have really hit a nerve for you to be getting so defensive over something as trivial as One Piece and Winx Club edits. "Bullshit this and bullshit that", yeah, you've lost all credability if you think swearing is getting your point across any better. Let me know when you're ready to have an adult conversation, I'm done.

Emerje
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
Quit talking about shit you apparently don't know anything about.

Wow, I must have really hit a nerve for you to be getting so defensive over something as trivial as One Piece and Winx Club edits. "Bullshit this and bullshit that", yeah, you've lost all credability if you think swearing is getting your point across any better. Let me know when you're ready to have an adult conversation, I'm done.

Emerje

Why do you waste your time trying to talk to a monkey; you speak english while he speaks Blah Blah Blah. The guy hates 4Kids so its useless Conversing with him. People like him are the reason why I put away my anime products and began moving away slowly from this anime stuff. I don't see why people get upset when a young youth show is editted for young youths; its just stupid. They get pissed and say it's not a kids show but at the same time in Japan they're marketed towards Japanese Kids, why can't it be the same here for U.S kids?. Most of these people make me sick. When 4Kids released the Shaman King and Yugioh's uncut most of they complained about Dudtitles only that sucks, this sucks, everything on the DVD sucks, its not like they've released a uncut DVD before, give them a break; I believe 4Kids should just screw them all and not release nothing uncut at all and keep on licensing more good fun shounen that they love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7