• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei to Release One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

They did dub the original OP, and they only showed it once, and the only way you can see it is on a site with terrible video quality and a ton of shit interfering with the audio. If they were honest about it and showed the rap opening in the first place, yes, I would probably be less pissed.

4Kids can do anything they want to one piece because its theirs. Point of the matter is that they thought they could achieve something from that opening but then later decided to change it; is it really that much of big a deal? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! companies can change things if they believe that what they do change is going to sell the product better. I have to admit that even though I love One Piece, the We are theme isn't as catchy as the Rap.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Laruto, with posts like that I can't take you seriously at all, so I'm just going to ignore you, thanks. Though I'll have to call crap on your comment about One Piece being "theirs" therefore giving "them" the right to butcher it. Sure, what they're doing is nothing illegal, but the way 4K!DS operates is to make money. What they're doing to One Piece is wasting away a perfectly good megahit, and we all know how much 4K!DS digs those. Oh, and pointing out that One Piece is "kiddy" has no relevance to the discussion, congratulations, you just typed five extra letters.

As for Emerje, swearing comes natural to me. If you're offended I can re-edit the comments.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
As for Emerje, swearing comes natural to me. If you're offended I can re-edit the comments.

It's not just the swearing, it's your general attitude. And besides, we're just going to continue to butt heads on the issues so let's just move on.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's not just the swearing, it's your general attitude. And besides, we're just going to continue to butt heads on the issues so let's just move on.

Emerje
Fine. This argument isn't going anywhere anyway.

Also, to contribute something to this topic that isn't arguing - according to Right Stuf, Viz is releasing One Piece. Ugh... they're such a pushover when it comes to these things. I know Shonen Jump will pimp it.
Demaar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
The comments made in this thread make me wish for one of two things:
1: Kids (on a large scale) become huge enough anime fans that they want what we want.
or 2: Kids getting over anime so 4kids won't go anywhere near it.

The first option sounds preferable to me, but the 2nd is more likely.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
1: Kids (on a large scale) become huge enough anime fans that they want what we want.

Not likely. Kids settle for whatever is given to them. The demographic that 4Kids entertains wouldn't know enough about these shows to complain one way or the other. I find kids at that age really have no concept of "anime" or the industry that surrounds it.

Quote:

Again, not likely. Kids don't watch these shows because they're anime, they watch them because they're free and entertaining cartoons.

What it would take is for the FCC to cut back on some of their restrictions and for 4Kids to try to push the envelope. But neither of those are very likely.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nakama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
The comments made in this thread make me wish for one of two things:

The first option sounds preferable to me, but the 2nd is more likely.

i want this to happen to 4kids one piece
i want it to be canceled and never shown on tv again
its proven to be a flop for the evil company so they should get rid of it
in japan one piece is bigger then naruto and pokemon(and in its original format-one of the best animes)
in america its a low budget pirate cartoon

i am a huge one piece fan and even i want it of tv
4kids killed it and i want them dead for it
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What it would take is for the FCC to cut back on some of their restrictions and for 4Kids to try to push the envelope. But neither of those are very likely.

Emerje
4Kids's CEO is thick as bricks, if things continue the way they are, he won't stop thinking his way is right until he retires and someone, hopefully someone more competent, walks in his footsteps.

That's why the fans need to complain. If we're silent, nobody hears us.

And the FCC only controls content censorship, anything else is 4Kids's doing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
4Kids's CEO is thick as bricks, if things continue the way they are, he won't stop thinking his way is right until he retires and someone, hopefully someone more competent, walks in his footsteps.

Heh, well, I did say it wasn't likely to happen.

Quote:
That's why the fans need to complain. If we're silent, nobody hears us.

Fans can complain all they want, just don't expect kids to do teh same, they don't know any better.

Quote:
And the FCC only controls content censorship, anything else is 4Kids's doing.

Doesn't content censorship include nudity, harsh language, and violence in childrens shows?

Emerje
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but 4Kids alters far, far more than that.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Doesn't content censorship include nudity, harsh language, and violence in childrens shows?

Emerje
And that my friend, is where I stopped taking you seriously.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
Now now Yash, I don't think you should let a misunderstanding like this drag this thread down. Arguing like this just discredits the idea of One Piece getting a decent release.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje
And that my friend, is where I stopped taking you seriously.

And I can't take you seriously when you'd rather side step points than address them.

Emerje
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yash's point is that the major problem that people have with 4Kids' reversioning is not censorship to comply with FCC regulations, but how the music is changed, dialogue is severely altered, and episodes are very often edited together, generally excising more scenes of emotion or character development than any kind of content that the FCC would find offensive.

Also, the double-standard that they edit a lot of their shows to pretty much proves that a lot of the censorship they employ isn't necessary. Things that are shown frequently in Shaman King and TMNT are just as frequently edited in One Piece.

Honestly, I really don't like it when people accuse One Piece fans of only complaining about stuff like the blood and excessive violence being removed and Sanji's cigarette being replaced. If those were the only things changed in the 4Kids version of One Piece, I would be happy with it. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases those ARE the only things that a lot of short-sighted people complain about, and it really weakens the cause. :-/
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
OK, fair enough. This is the first I've heard of the shows being spliced together or unnecessary dialogue edits. However, the dialogue edits aren't always changed for sake of being changed, I can see why they would come up with killer chakrums over suicide (as goofy as it came across). And I guess I'd rather have supersoakers over empty hands and pointing fingers like in Yugioh. Hammer guns on the other hand, if the point is that you're going to kill the guy why bother changing it? Hey, I never said I approved of all of their edits.

I think their biggest problem is a lack of communication within the 4Kids office. Every one of their shows have a manager appointed to it that's incharge of making any changes and edits that are required to get these shows on TV. The problem is that the FCC regulations are not always clear cut and are up to interpretation (look at what happened to Kenshin). It would seem that there is no common guideline for the 4Kids managers to follow so it's up to each one of them to interpret the regulations. I know a guy that originally worked as a Ninja Turtles production manager (he now works for Hasbro) and action and a certain amount of maturity for the nostalgics was something he worked towards before leaving. Other managers may not feel comfortable with that approach when editing a show (as opposed to building a show up) since it puts their jobs on the line, so they may not be as easy going on a show. The manager for Shaman King probably felt more comfortable with a violent show than the manager for One Piece did. Now, of course I'm reading a lot into how they opperate, but that's my take on the inconsistant editing.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7