• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster Slated for March

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I would love to get an HD set of seed and destiny with English dub. Why did bandai have to go bankrupt....[Also, I think the seed series was good, why is everyone hatin' on it]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Anything's better than that god awful Season 2 of Gundam 00 and that shitty movie.

Any part of 00 is better than any part of CE Gundam. By a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Don't be silly. That's patently ridiculous.

You are claiming that every scene, every line of dialogue, every song, every action sequence, every character, every theme and every plot point in 00 is better than anything SEED produced. That the worst bits of 00 are better than the best elements in SEED.

See, this is why people don't take you seriously.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth

Say what you will about Kira and Lacus but you can at least agree that Kira never started a war. In the first season I saw no reason not to root for the world powers because they were more sympathetic.

As for Gundam Seed Destiny, its primary problem is that the battles are all one sided affairs in one which one side is totally dominating the other (compare the first episode of Gundam seed were you have a massive fire fight to Gundam Seed Destiny were guys are shooting people behind them). You cant fix that unless you re-animate nearly every battle.

Of course despite all that I still think Durandal is one of the best villains Gundam has ever got so I am still going to watch it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Celestial Being was keeping the warring countries in line.

CE era Gundam is lifeless, without any passion. You can clearly tell nobody working on it gave a crap. The characters are bland and forgettable, the mecha combat is boring, and the plot elements are just kind of thrown in without any real exploration. There's no personality at all in those shows. Nothing to root for.

00 had its flaws, but it also had interesting characters, some of whom actually developed, something foreign to CE era Gundam. And you could actually get behind the characters, whether good or evil. They had villains with flair, who made their presence known, and tragedies that were moving.

Not to mention CE Gundam has that eerie gleam to everything that makes everything look plastic or overly polished metal. 00 had some of that too, but it wasn't fake-looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dealing with humans as villains rather than aliens and less deus ex. Durandal sure is one of the franchise's best villains since he even made viewers think he was a hero while Kira was a villain. I mean, the criticism the finale got was ridiculous. It's like if some fans were as naive as Shinn and bought everything Durandal said and ignored their criminal activities. Even the Special Edition films had to add more content to hint at Durandal's terrorist activities like "really? Was that necessary?" I haven't heard such dumb feedback since people said that Char's Counterattack was the perfect way to end Universal Century or that Kamille was likable.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
@Charred Knight

In regards to 00 Season 1, I do believe it was made out to look like the Union, AEU and HRL forces were more or less the people who you wanted to cheer for on purpose. That was one of the reason's I preferred Season 1. The Gundam pilots, with the exception of Lockon, were pretty unlikable while your 'antagonist' characters were awesome and amazing.

On your comment about Durandal, that's part of the reason I prefer one of Generation of C.E.'s endings. In that ending spoiler[ The Minerva Team bests the Archangel, Kira actually dies and Durandal wins. ] Rumor has it that was going to be a possible ending for the actual show while it was in production but that changed mid-way so they tossed it in the game instead.

That's also another one of my issues with Destiny. They wrote themselves into a corner of what they can do for C.E further down the road unless there's a major timeskip. Had they gone with that ending, there would have been a lot they could have done.
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
That ending is an awesome idea and would've opened so many possibilities. Wow, that is... wow, I can even envision how things would go from there. Why didn't they use it? Why!?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
Because the Japanese fans would have rioted thats why

Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, Cagalli Yula Atha and Lacus Clyne are hugely popular, the crew of the Minerva certainly has a ton of fans but the original cast was always more popular.

Thats also why the movies end with spoiler[Athrun Zala] as an Admiral for Orb.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Thats also why the movies end with spoiler[Athrun Zala] as an Admiral for Orb.

I think that's actually quite a logical step for spoiler[Athrun to make, given both his character arc as well as his relationship with Cagalli. But I reckon that he could have been made an admiral and that Kira still dies by Shinn's hands. Sure, the fans would have been outraged at Kira's death, but if died heroically and if Athrun vowed to avenge him despite his personal pacifistic policy the Japanese fans might have bought it.]

Obviously creators should listen a little to fans as they need fans to buy the product that the creator makes. However, kow-towing to fans and producing a boring, lifeless and creativity-free series that tramples all over the integrity of the original cast is also very wrong. For example, spoiler[Mwu] should never have been brought back no matter how happy fans were to see it. Sure, I bet SEED Destiny's producer was happy with the pandering; the show made an absolute fortune. However, the director and scriptwriter should have been ashamed of themselves for creating such an unambiguously awful series.

It's extremely interesting that Sunrise never revisited the Cosmic Era* with a third series or a movie, despite how massively popular and profitable the Cosmic Era was for them. Both shows blow every other part of the franchise out of the water in terms of sales, and yet . . . nothing.

Well, apart from a couple of short OVAs and compilation movies, that is.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
I never saw Gundam Seed Destiny as lifeless, as I mentioned Durandal was great, also Shinn and Logos was interesting if never fully realized. The series certainly did pander to the fans though.

There was going to be a movie but it never really got off the ground due to Morosawa getting ill (I also assume it because there is no real way to have conflict with spoiler[Logos dead, and Lacus in charge of Zaft].
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
My gripe is that it'll never be available here in the US (or even more importantly, the Gundam Seed blu-rays won't be available here), since Bandai Ent. is dead and gone. And as I understand it, the Japanese releases contain English subs but no dub. So, you can't get it with a dub even if you're willing to pay the insane Japanese prices.

On a side note, I find the various opinions on the quality of the various Gundam series to be rather interesting, particularly since they're so often the diametric opposite of one another. Most everyone seems to think that Destiny was bad, but for most of the rest, it varies considerably what people think. In particular, I find the opinions on Gundam 00 to be interesting, since some people seem to think that season 1 was way better than season 2, whereas others think that season 2 was way better than season 1. And while some think that Gundam Seed is superior to Gundam 00, others think that Gundam 00 is superior. Clearly, different people are looking for different things in a Gundam series.

Personally, I thought that Destiny was horrible, but it has its moments, and I'm still glad that they made it (much as I would have preferred them to have made something much better), since I liked the opportunity to see the characters from Seed in action again (since Seed is my favorite Gundam series). And I'd love to get both of them on Blu-ray. Too bad Bandai Ent. bit the dust, but I'm not sure that they would ever have brought it over here anyway. We didn't even get Gundam 00 or Code Geass on Blu-ray, and they could have been put on Blu-ray with their initial release rather than requiring a re-release.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
(I also assume it because there is no real way to have conflict with spoiler[Logos dead, and Lacus in charge of Zaft].

Of course there is, but only if the writer had the guts to do it.

A sequel to SEED Destiny could argue that spoiler[Lacus' ideals were not practical, and have her fail to bring about peace. As long as people are different they will always fight one another. Simply saying some pleasant words about unity is not going to heal the scars, or make everyone get along. The anti-Co-ordinator sentiment is not going to go away overnight; a new round of war could well be inevitable. The new series could be set a hundred years after SEED Destiny, where Lacus' harmonious ideals have been trampled on by a ZAFT which has become rotten to the core, and the fragile peace is broken by a new round of hatred and resentment between Naturals and Co-ordinators. I mean, the Naturals are still going to be weaker and less smart than Co-ordinators even in a century's time, and that inequality is still going to be causing issues between the genetic haves and the have-nots.]

If the writer really wanted to make a point they could set the series ten years after SEED Destiny, and turn Lacus into spoiler[a sort of well-intentioned but disastrous dictator. She could do more harm than good with her policies of forcing people to get along which just makes them resent one another (and her) even more. And with Kira leading the ZAFT army, he could be her right-hand man, enforcing military rule on the Earth through threats of violence; peace only at the barrel of the gun. It could be a great study on how those with good intentions can be lead astray and do bad things in the name of justice. Lacus achieves power a saviour but becomes a tyrant, forcing the Earth to once again rise up against her. I can see it now.]

If the writer wanted to get political and criticise America*, he or she could spoiler[draw parallels between Lacus and Obama, who swept into office on a massive wave of popularity only to make some questionable or even outright alarming decisions once in office*. Of course, Obama was fairly elected while Lacus basically achieved power not just by popular support by a soft military coup as well; with Kira, Athrun, Terminal, Cagalli and Orb on her side she was unstoppable.]

In many ways, a new era is dawning, but it's still haunted by the past conflicts and schisms that have still not yet been healed.I actually think that there's a lot of stuff that could happen, heaps of valid and interesting directions the Cosmic Era could go in. With the underlying issues of conflict still unresolved even at the end of SEED Destiny, there's fertile ground to explore/expand on them further.

Which, let's face it, some Japanese writers and directors love doing - Masamune Shirow and Shō Aikawa among them.

And I say that as an Obama supporter.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
Destiny was basically a power-grab by Lacus anyway. And hell, Final Plus basically presented her as being goddamn Palpatine.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

00 Qan(T) and those overpowered deuteragonist suits disagree with you. If you think the 00 movie was good, you need to get your head checked. Also Stargazer>Anno Domini era. My buddy even made a video, to prove that Gundam 00 is the worst Gundam series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kToxuYBPQ8

Last edited by DomonX2 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6