• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster Slated for March

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon, it's lovely that you still have faith in humanity. However, one day you will realise that such a society would be plain awful, a horrible place to live if you're not one of the privileged elite. Imagine a society with no democratic elections, no meaningful checks and balances, no hope for average folk to better their lives. It's awful. Technology should help humans, not strip our humanity away from us.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
You can get 10 engineers with diverse backgrounds all qualified to be engineers through a certain test. But you will know that some are clearly superior to others because of enhanced genetics. The alternative is the same thing, but the gap in skills will be lower, and a person in any occupation will always be the most qualified doing it.

Genetics doesn't work that way, and neither does job selection, comrade.

Gon*Gon wrote:
*snip mindless blather about supposed anti-scientific themes in Jurassic Park*

In short, those movies do no make good arguments. They don't even make good entertainment unless you shut down your brain.

On the contrary, comrade. The concerns raised by Gattaca are in fact quite valid, especially considering past abuses committed on the basis of genetics and heredity. Does the term "life unworthy of life" mean anything to you?

At least in Gattaca, the powers that be were willing to leave the so-called "in-valids" to their own devices. In Gundam SEED Destiny, Gilbert Durandal was all too willing to sic giant robots and doomsday weapons on the undesireables who dared oppose his plans.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
It's impossible to reply to everyone...

You're kinda forgetting this is an anime where stuff like coordinators exist, and the greatest weapon developed by mankind are human-shaped robots controlled by a live-human pilot in the far-off future where everyone is good looking..."genetics doesn't work that way" doesn't cut. It'll be like arguing about the realism of drider anatomy in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

As for movies like Gattaca, stuff like those will also have it's defenders. All they do is show the worst possible scenario that would only have a sliver of chance of actually happening while ignoring or downplaying the positive ones.

Those movies are designed to work that way by nature of being movies. A Jurassic Park where dinosaurs never broke free just wouldn't be the same. Splice where the protagonists were competent would not have been nearly so entertaining.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
You're kinda forgetting this is an anime where stuff like coordinators exist, and the greatest weapon developed by mankind are human-shaped robots controlled by a live-human pilot in the far-off future where everyone is good looking..."genetics doesn't work that way" doesn't cut. It'll be like arguing about the realism of drider anatomy in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

No matter how far in the future gravity is likely to still exist and operate as it does today, right? Likewise, it's highly unlikely that how genes influence behavior would change (as they work a certain way because that's how the universe works). There will never be a garbage collector gene, for example. Even traits that are highly inheritable, like height which ~90% of the variance in a population is due to genetic variance, are affected by the environment. Nutrition matters, for example. Identical twins often differ in height due to slight differences in environment among other factors.

Bottom line is genes are probability---not destiny. And there are far too many unknown environmental factors that affect when or whether the genes are expressed to ever read someone's genome and determine they'd be excellent at doing x or even want to do it. Reality is, after all, complex and humans tend to suck at complexity.

Eugenics is best left in the 19th century before we knew better. Basing a plot line on it is, well, about as realistic as the movie The Core.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Eugenics is best left in the 19th century before we knew better.

Ashkenazi Jews in the United States and Israel voluntarily screen themselves for Tay-Sachs disease, and the governments of Cyprus and Iran (among others) mandate premarital genetic screening for hereditary blood disorders such as thalassemia as a public health measure. Eugenics is still a thing in the 21st century, or at least some aspects of it are, but that's neither here nor there.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

No matter how far in the future gravity is likely to still exist and operate as it does today, right? Likewise, it's highly unlikely that how genes influence behavior would change (as they work a certain way because that's how the universe works). There will never be a garbage collector gene, for example.

Considering the dominant weapon of war in the series are anthromorphic robots controlled by a human being inside the chest area, I'm not so sure if their gravity really is the same as ours. Laughing

But that's besides the point. The franchise takes place in a different universe. You seem to be forgetting that thi is ananime and not a documentary from the future.

Draneor wrote:

Eugenics is best left in the 19th century before we knew better. Basing a plot line on it is, well, about as realistic as the movie The Core.

Unfortunately modern society's perception of eugenics is too emotionally loaded. There's an irrational stigma towards it due to some unfortunate associations. There are lots of things about eugenics that is scientifically flawed, yes, but that doesn't mean it has absolutely no merits in the history of science. Take phrenology, even worse than eugenics, but look at what it paved the way to.

More importantly, the entire plot of FMA is based off of alchemy...that's even worse than eugenics. There is nothing wrong with using it as a plot point.

You're kind of forgetting the fact that we're discussing an anime where stuff like coordinators already exist, and have proven to be superior to typical human beings.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Why is this going to get remastered? The second half of Gundam Seed Destiny is not only disappointing but just awful! The only way you will get North American fans to see this series again is to just cut out all of the rehashed footage and actually animate new battle scenes!

As for my personal view of Gilbert Durandal's Destiny Plan, it sounds like a nice theory but when put into action, it's just not very good at all and predetermining people's lives when outside factors that influence a certain person's life are not taken into account. For example, a guy wants to become a lawyer but the Destiny Plan says that he's meant to be a mailman and the person objects to that profession and wants to be a lawyer and with that comes conflict. So in short, the Destiny Plan is while well intentioned, just comes off as tyrannical and taking away people's right to choose what they want to be by their own choice and have everything forced upon them is not progressive at all.

Lastly, the conflict between Naturals and Coordinators is still unresolved because of this simple fact: Coordinators have everything handed to them so easily due to their parents messing around with their genetics to make them smarter, stronger, and faster than the average human and it leaves Naturals who struggled a lot to work hard in what they try to do but the Coordinators has everything handed to them so easily so you do see where the jealousy comes from.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Why is this getting remastered? Because the Japanese love Kira, Lacus, Athrun and Cagalli thats why. Bandai Visual just closed up their american distributor so I dont see why BV would care what America thinks of Gundam Seed Destiny.

Keep in mind that in Japan Gundam Seed Destiny was a massive success with a ton of DVD sales, and winning the Anime Grand Prix twice so this is still going to sell really well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm still baffled why Japan loves characters with no discernable personality traits like the ones in SEED and SEED Destiny. I guess they just plug in themselves into the void like an old JRPG.

Kira is just a flimsy, cardboard cut out without any real characteristics outside "sensitive". He's the perfect example of Sōshoku-kei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm still baffled why Japan loves characters with no discernable personality traits like the ones in SEED and SEED Destiny. I guess they just plug in themselves into the void like an old JRPG.

Kira is just a flimsy, cardboard cut out without any real characteristics outside "sensitive". He's the perfect example of Sōshoku-kei.

Thats not really fair. Kira is perfectly well characterized, albeit not particularly originally or interestingly, but enough to move the plot along.

Destiny's problem is terrible, terrible plotting and a completely screwed up production.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Ashkenazi Jews in the United States and Israel voluntarily screen themselves for Tay-Sachs disease, and the governments of Cyprus and Iran (among others) mandate premarital genetic screening for hereditary blood disorders such as thalassemia as a public health measure. Eugenics is still a thing in the 21st century, or at least some aspects of it are, but that's neither here nor there.

Pointing out that some diseases (or traits) follow a strict Mendelian model doesn't really address my point. But there's a big jump from identifying a couple that can pass on Tay-Sachs disease compared to whether their child will be an excellent engineer.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Thats not really fair. Kira is perfectly well characterized, albeit not particularly originally or interestingly, but enough to move the plot along.

Destiny's problem is terrible, terrible plotting and a completely screwed up production.

I just thought the problem was whatshisname coming back to life with no explanation at all after it was made pretty clear that he died in the previous series...

Oh, and Kira's group coming off as kinda well-intentioned villain-ish.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
It's a terrible sequel to a terrible show, is its problem. I mean, the first series was terrible, what made them think the sequel would be good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

I just thought the problem was whatshisname coming back to life with no explanation at all after it was made pretty clear that he died in the previous series...

That certainly was A problem, but it was more of a side-effect.

Quote:
Oh, and Kira's group coming off as kinda well-intentioned villain-ish.

This, like much of the series, was a good idea in concept, but executed horribly.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
@ what penguintruth said:

This coming from a guy who think Zeta is the cat's pyjamas, and whose hatred of SEED is so irrational that he'll never admit that he unfairly bashes it. Don't you need to get back shouting at kids to get off your lawn or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6