Forum - View topic
Lots of proof why Doraemon is banned in the U.S.


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rojse



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 234
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Um no wonder the Illuminati joke spurred out of nowhere.


If we weren't making jokes about secret societies stopping Doraemon being licenced, there really wouldn't be a reason to read this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
fire_



Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The problem with Doraemon is itself. The reason why Doraemon is not likely to be popular anywhere else than Japan, is because it has poor form.


Actually the quintessential anime show you can watch without getting branded an otaku is Sazae-san.

Doraemon has been aired in at least 30 countries around the world. It's apparently very popular in various South-East Asian, Middle-Eastern and Latin American countries (and it's Viz who sold the license to some Latin American countries), as well as in China, South Korea, India, Italy and Spain as far as I know.


And Ted Turner actually bought rights to air 50 Doraemon episodes back in 1985, but they have never been aired for unknown reasons. (My source is the Japanese wiki article on Doraemon) Maybe the contract hasn't expired yet, in which case, no one can try to get Doraemon on the air in the US.

And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it couldn't become popular. You have to know it's a show for little kids, yes, adults watch it too, but the main audience is children.

Just because it's not as sophisticated as anime aimed at older audience doesn't mean it sucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyugaHinata
Subscriber



Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 3256
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
I pick up the bilingual versions from Kinokuniya whenever I feel the urge to read that nostalgic series. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
MrTerrorist



Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 1162
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
As far as most fans should be concerned, Doraemon is practically banned in North America for several reasons:

1. When Viz Media, the licensor, reviewed the mangas in the first place, it turned out to have large amounts of crude humor and perverted moments, so they refused classification.

2. Same thing for the TV series. When I looked at many episodes, they appeared to have content that would be beyond inappropriate for younger viewers.

3. As a result for #1 and #2, Doraemon never aired in most English-speaking countries.

4. That meant the only way fans could watch Doraemon is by downloading the episodes. However, on November 2008, nearly ALL Doraemon videos were taken down from YouTube for copyright.

5. To today, there are NO Doraemon DVDs selling in the North American market.

Thus all of this proves why Doraemon is banned in the US.


-Looks at the list and laughs-

What your saying is just assumption and has no significance proof. If i believe everything you say, i would have believe in whatever rubbish Glenn Beck has said.

As fan of Doraemon since i was a kid and seeing different versions of it, let me debunk and clarify your theories.

1 & 2: These theories doesn't make sense, i have read other mangas and animes which have much more perverted and crude humor than Doraemon. Compare to them, Doraemon's humor is tame. Also there is indeed an English version of the Doraemon manga released by Singapore's Chuang Yi.

3. Correction. There are english versions of the Doraemon movies during the late eighties that were release in South East Asia but they are very rare to find. I have one of those tapes myself.

4. Well duh, that's because it's illegal to upload copyright materiel.

5. That's because there is no official US Licensor for the Doraemon anime. Even if it did, it would infeasible to dub and release all of those episode as there are about......2000+ episodes with new one still airing in Japan. It's not something to invest when most kids in the US have no idea what Dorameon is compare to the other countries that do.

In short, Doraemon is not available in the US not because it was banned, it's because there is no market for the franchise the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonghyunchung



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
You mean... there's no ban to lift for Doraemon? That's even worse than the ban on Japanese cultural products by South Korea (1945-1998) to last permanently!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtakuExile



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 202
Location: Neo Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Doraemon has nothing that the typical American audience can attach to. Nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andrez



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 67
Location: Tokyo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

I never watched the show nor have any interest in doing so. Not my cup of tea.


You should give it a go - if you speak Japanese or somehow get your hands on a decent subtitled version. The TV series, not the movies. The TV series is fun, sardonic, and has a lot of references to Western cinema like West Side Story.

I love the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joe anime



Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Posts: 259
Location: Brooklyn,NY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
You mean... there's no ban to lift for Doraemon? That's even worse than the ban on Japanese cultural products by South Korea (1945-1998) to last permanently!
Just to put it in simple terms:Doraemon is not banned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
EricJ



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 876
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Andrez wrote:
You should give it a go - if you speak Japanese or somehow get your hands on a decent subtitled version. The TV series, not the movies.


(As the movies, like most preschool features nowadays, have started developing a crippling case of the Miyazakis...)

Quote:
The TV series is fun, sardonic.


And more like a kids' comic-strip in its humor--
Imagine a modern-day E. Nesbit "Wish goes wrong" story in UY's Tomobiki.

Joe anime wrote:
Just to put it in simple terms:Doraemon is not banned.


In fact, there were plans floated about three or four years ago to start dubbing the recent feature movies only for export (following on the theatrical/kids'-import-festival craze), starting with "Nobita & the Green Giant"...

...And if THAT bloated, lumbering, overwritten, over-Ghiblified mess didn't bar the entire series at the border, nothing would. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1897
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
You mean... there's no ban to lift for Doraemon?

*facepalm* Have you even read any of the posts?


Andrez wrote:
You should give it a go - if you speak Japanese or somehow get your hands on a decent subtitled version. The TV series, not the movies. The TV series is fun, sardonic, and has a lot of references to Western cinema like West Side Story.

Again, the series is not something I would enjoy. I read about it online and it just didn't pique my interest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpaceKnight83



Joined: 08 Mar 2011
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
NOTHING is officially "banned" in the United States except for the Film 'Titticut Follies' which I believe is no longer banned at this point.

copyright/international copyright is a different story but programs and films being "Banned" outright is unheard of in the United States.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group