• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Lays Off 45 With 300 More on the Line in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
If they collapse, what the hell am I supposed to do with all my Borders gift cards? Mad

Maybe this is a sign of their struggling, but I went to Borders today to find FMA vol 24. They didn't have it, but the Barnes & Noble nearby did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

Good luck getting that loan, Borders. CareCredit (owned by GE Capital) wouldn't reopen my old line of credit with them several years after I'd paid it off, so I could use it to pay off my braces this past year. With near perfect credit, I still don't understand why they wouldn't reopen it. So I don't know how Borders is going to convince GE that THEY'RE going to be able to pay them back, seeing as they're in the toilet.

I've heard the loan is tied into Border Rewards somehow. Dunno how......
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If they collapse, what the hell am I supposed to do with all my Borders gift cards? Mad

Maybe this is a sign of their struggling, but I went to Borders today to find FMA vol 24. They didn't have it, but the Barnes & Noble nearby did.

You're not the only one. FMA 24 is not at my Waldenbooks or Borders yet, and for some reason, most of the FMA voumes (save a few) have disappeared from the Waldenbooks shelves. It can't be a manga reduction though, since it was the only one missing and I highly doubt FMA is my local Waldenbooks' worst seller. Maybe someone just bought all the manga volumes at once, I've done that with a few series (makes for awkward carrying, Borders should have a few shopping baskets available).
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh more bad new if border goes then where do I get my manga its the only game in town

I too buy my manga in stores, the DVDs I save for The Right Stuf. But if worse comes to worse, I'd just buy my manga from The Right Stuf. It's definitely not the same as going into a store, but I trust the Right Stuf so I'll manage. But I'd rather not have to resort to all my manga shopping being online.

Quote:
Good idea. Hopefully they art to stick to selling BOOKS instead of assorted crap like boardgames and candy.

I have to agree here. I've noticed Borders does sell alot of stuff that isn't books, or even book-related. People go to a bookstore to buy books, not boardgames, videogames and such. (We have Gamestop for videogames.)

Quote:
They're being run into the ground by people who view books as just another product.

I love Borders, but I've noticed this especially by them. I've noticed they tend to endorse certain books, like "these are the books you should be reading". That there tells you they are treating books as just another product.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Borders is basically done, guys. They're just delaying the inevitable. Online shopping has completely eclipsed buying stuff in person.

Agreed. At this point, Borders is still trying to stay in business, but with the amount of losses they have taken in the last year and even this month and given how many people have lost their jobs within the last year, I'd say it's only a short matter of time before Borders files chapter seven.

I really feel bad for the employees that lost their job and are about to lose their job. I've supported Borders very well over the years, but with the economy the way it is, Borders would need more revenue and less overhead at this point. But in the end, people have lost their jobs and for that I really feel bad for them and hope they are able to find new jobs soon.

But unfortunately, it looks like Borders might go out of business like Geneon, ADV flims, Broccoli books and Working Designs. Too bad really, I always liked Borders.

But there is always Amazon and Ebay, so all is not lost.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

You're not the only one. FMA 24 is not at my Waldenbooks or Borders yet, and for some reason, most of the FMA voumes (save a few) have disappeared from the Waldenbooks shelves. It can't be a manga reduction though, since it was the only one missing and I highly doubt FMA is my local Waldenbooks' worst seller. Maybe someone just bought all the manga volumes at once, I've done that with a few series (makes for awkward carrying, Borders should have a few shopping baskets available).

Actually, this is most likely due to Diamond Book Distributor's hold on their business. Diamond is a primary player in a lot of comic titles, manga included, so that they don't have much new or restocked shouldn't surprise much. Neutral

It should be said that they certainly aren't the only ones with a lot of problems right now, what with FYE closing a lot of its other store chains (like Suncoast and Saturday Matinee) and B&N having closed down the B. Dalton chain. The landscape is changing, and it seems that, when the dust settles, B&N will probably end up the sole books & more dealer, like GameStop is with games and FYE with music and video.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/borders-gets-550-million-loan-commitment-from-ge-capital/

Quote:
GE Capital’s other requirements include successfully syndicating $175 million of the $550 million financing and Borders’ devising a store closure plan.

The plot thickens.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
The plot thickens.

When I saw this news last week, my eyes fell out of their sockets in stunned disbelief.

I instantly pictured Borders walking into a Cash Advance store and signing a contract to which they'll never make the first payment on time and will be subject to fees and high interest.

There's just no way in hell Borders can repay this debt unless it severely cuts its overhead, which still means many store closings and lost jobs.

It should have just declared bankruptcy, then borrowed the money to restructure into something that's not just a bookstore.

Oh well. Sometimes the best lessons in life are taught at the School of Hard Knocks.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/borders-gets-550-million-loan-commitment-from-ge-capital/

Quote:
GE Capital’s other requirements include successfully syndicating $175 million of the $550 million financing and Borders’ devising a store closure plan.

The plot thickens.

Actually, if you know anything about the history of GE Capital, they have a long history of supplying financing to struggling or bankrupt retailers. The financed both Montgomery Wards (which they actually managed for some time), and Ames Department Stores during their bankruptcies. In both those cases though, the retailers ultimately failed and were liquidated.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It should have just declared bankruptcy, then borrowed the money to restructure into something that's not just a bookstore.

Funny enough, from what i've heard, part of Borders plan to get back into the black is.....stocking more non-book items in stores.

Stocking more non-book items..............in stores.

*facepalm*

Y'know, the last time I was in one of them Borders, alot of the stuff that was on clearance were....Non-Book items. Are they that dense?
adam_omega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

If Borders declares bankruptcy, then publishers may NEVER see any money at all from any of the products that that have been sold since the holidays.

Sunday Silence wrote:
]Y'know, the last time I was in one of them Borders, alot of the stuff that was on clearance were....Non-Book items. Are they that dense?

Non-book items have higher profit margins. It's why Sam Goody started selling CD and MP3 players back in 2000. It's also why you see places like Toy's R Us pushing you to buy batteries and product replacement plans. It's all profit.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Good idea. Hopefully they art to stick to selling BOOKS instead of assorted crap like boardgames and candy.

I have to agree here. I've noticed Borders does sell alot of stuff that isn't books, or even book-related. People go to a bookstore to buy books, not boardgames, videogames and such. (We have Gamestop for videogames.)

Allow me to introduce you all to a neat little gadget I call the Kindle:
http://www.sify.com/news/amazon-kindle-e-book-downloads-surpass-paperback-books-in-us-news-international-lb3pEeghfii.html

Granted, Borders has their own e-reader platform now (the Kobo which I've heard is incredibly cheap and flimsy) but in the universe of brick & mortar sales, probably the bookstore cafe brings in more money than the stacks in a lot of stores these days...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
One of the mall I went to used to have a Borders (it's now close and out of business). When they announced that they're going out of business, they had a nice discount on manga. I bought like 9 mangas (Negima, Asu No Yoichi, and Haruhi Suzumiya 1st volume) as a appreciation and last support for them. I like Borders, I go there when I want to look at manga. The only thing left is Barnes and Noble like 15 miles from where I live, and a Borders at another mall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
...... but in the universe of brick & mortar sales, probably the bookstore cafe brings in more money than the stacks in a lot of stores these days...

......while offering Free Wifi and having wasted space for people who just are in there for free wifi and reading books and magazines they don't ultimately buy.

Yeah, I see that business model winning greatly. Makes the Manga Cows look pale in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2