• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Corporal Punishment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can remember growing up in the 50's and early 60's such things were all a part of the education system and it was supported by the parents who normally exercised their own form of corporal punishment. I went to a Catholic school and some of the nuns were brutal. One who taught year 8, had a small slate board with a black piece of rubber garden hose drapped over it. If your name went on that slate you were paraded up in front of the class before dismissal and "disciplined" with that hose across your arse or where ever she could lay it on you with force. Thankfully she was an old battleaxe of a woman and the bishop had her quietly "retired" from teaching when one student's parents raised a stink about the bruises left on that student's legs, and she was gone by the time I got there. But still I had my days in excution with the use of metel rulers. a long wooden spoon, and the old favourite, the bamboo cane. Anime hyper But that's all gone now with strict laws not to. Now some of our schools are like schools from hell with teachers being bullied and beaten, and even stabbed and raped. Rolling Eyes

See, I do believe corporal punishment is fine within reason.... severe beatings and things that cause permanent physical damage are a no-no however.

There isn't anything wrong with discipline, and things have gotten worse in schools, rather than better. Not that it's a bad idea to implement change when it's needed, but if things are worse with those changes, it's better to go back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
tempest wrote:
Please do not name any bootleg sites or sites that distribute licensed fansubs, for money or for free here.

Don't even hint at the names.

Some people will react with outrage, other people will go download fansubs.

Feel free to discuss, just don't do anything that can aggravate the problem.

Oh, and we're working on a bit of a followup for next week.

-t

Can we post Cease and Desist Letters?

Hello, wanna post C&D Letters......
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Sure.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait... Anyone that reads Outpost Nine's editorials "I am a Japanese School Teacher" and in particular browses the forums, will quickly see that from the people who are teaching in Japan right now do not see a single instance of discipline. It's probably their biggest complaint.

Does anyone have anything more reliable than a spanking fetish website for evidence of the current discipline system? From the way the writter of the editorials, and others in the forums write it, there is no discipline that the teachers take or even can take. They say that they can't give them detention, send them out of class etc.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Sure.

Not gonna name the site in question per TOS.

http://soupsites.info/rightstuf-mail.txt
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Wait... Anyone that reads Outpost Nine's editorials "I am a Japanese School Teacher" and in particular browses the forums, will quickly see that from the people who are teaching in Japan right now do not see a single instance of discipline. It's probably their biggest complaint.

I just wanted to post a Link to those editorials and say that they're hilarious at times, and definitely an interesting read for anyone who hasn't heard of them. Wink
Nandoman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
...I'm not seeing the article(s) mentioned in this forum in the column...nor the 'final cultural question' (which I assume is what I'm not seeing) mentioned in the heading. Was this removed for some reason? There was no editor's note listed in the column, so I'm curious.

Sorry for reviving such an old topic, but I've been reading all the old Answerman columns and the absence of this question discussed here just baffles me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Nandoman wrote:

Sorry for reviving such an old topic,

This shit is over two years old man.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4