• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Pokémon, Bakugan Shows Debut in N. America Next Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juhachi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
And Pokemon without fillers = Best Wishes. 18 episodes in and we've yet to hit a pointless filler episode.

I would guess this means they're only doing episodes based on in-game events, but that's hard for me to believe.

I will say that Black & White has a few refreshing changes to the standard Pokemon formula. I hesitate to say it's a good show, but it's more compelling than it has been in a long time.

Most of the episodes seemed to have been based on the game, or else cover some overarching arc. 18 episodes in and Ash already has 2 badges. At that rate, the show will end around episode 90 or 100, unless they kick into fillers very soon. Maybe they're planning for BW to be short because they're planning a filler saga ala Orange Islands.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
They didn't name Snivy Smugleaf. That is bad.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to the new Pokemon in English. I've been watching it in Japanese and I really like it! I don't mind Satoshi's voice in DP but If Veronica Taylor were to dub his voice again, I'd be extremely happy!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people are still criticizing the current voices. Criticizing Ash's I can understand. Everyone else is doing great.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I don't get why people are still criticizing the current voices. Criticizing Ash's I can understand. Everyone else is doing great.

Really? The only one I had a problem with was James. Brock to a lesser extend, but he's gone so it's moot. Jesse's was iffy, if only because it felt like she was too busy trying to sound like the old actress and was unable to really act much while doing it; like when you're trying to hold in a sneeze and can't talk a certain way while you're holding it.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
So they want to call Best Wishes "Black and White" since it relates directly to the games which makes me all the more surprised that they changed the last Sinnoh episode from "Memories are Pearls! Friendship is a Diamond" to dull old "Memories are Made of Bliss"

as far as cast goes, there are those new voices I like and then those I wish were different but since actor change isn't likely to happen in B&W I'm just going to have to get use to who they're already using.

(and now you Viz, about those Season 3+ dvd sets .. anytime now)
PokemonTrainerLisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I don't expect to see major changes with the voice acting, unless a miracle happens. So, I've made my decision. Even though I did watch the D/P series (seasons 10-13), I will not be watching the Pokemon Black and White dub. =/

There's just no point in me watching it, because I won't be able to enjoy the show. I mean, how could I enjoy the Black and White dub, if Veronica Taylor won't be in it? To me, the new series will just feel like D/P all over again, because Veronica isn't Ash. Crying or Very sad

jacksonh wrote:
I'd be more excited for the Pokemon news if Veronica Taylor were to voice Ash again.

Me too... Sad

And it makes me feel worse, when I think about how the Japanese writers changed Ash's personality. In the Best Wishes series, Ash acts the same way he did in the Kanto and Johto series. He acts like his old self again (a young-boy).

That's very different to how the writers portrayed Ash in the D/P series.

And that's why I want Veronica Taylor back, because the Pokemon Black and White dub (writing-wise) is supposed to be similar to Kanto/season one. Personally, I don't see how Sarah Natochenny will be able to portray "Kanto Ash", because she didn't voice Ash back then, when he acted like a young-boy...

Veronica Taylor voiced Ash during that time, and no one can bring Ash to life the way she did. She gave him so much energy! It was amazing! <3

Because the writers changed Ash's personality, and they even changed his design (his eyes look different now), he looks and acts a lot younger. In the Best Wishes series, Ash is supposed to be 10. And he should sound like a young boy in the dub (I know for a fact that Sarah cannot pull off the high-pitched Ash voice; Watch "Strategy Begins At Home" from Galactic Battles and you'll know what I mean). Therefore, it would make sense for TPCi to use a new voice actor. And in my opinion, no one would be more fitting for that role than Veronica Taylor.

Redlinks wrote:
I don't mind Satoshi's voice in DP but If Veronica Taylor were to dub his voice again, I'd be extremely happy!

I think most dub fans would be very happy, if TPCi considered bringing Veronica Taylor back as Ash. Very Happy

The King of Harts wrote:
And while I agree Sean is one the better actors in NY, Veronica Taylor and Rachel Lillis are two of the best actors in New York (Veronica is one of the best in the whole industry if you ask me), but they still got cut.

Yes! I completely agree with you! Anime smile

Veronica Taylor and Rachael Lillis are my favorite voice actors from Pokemon. I like Rachael's work. She is very talented! But I love Veronica Taylor most of all, because Ash is my favorite character. And no matter what happens with the Pokemon Black and White dub, Veronica will always be Ash Ketchum to me.

In fact, I was worried that everyone forgot about Veronica's Ash, because so many fans were satisfied with TPCi's dub. It's true, there's a large portion of the fanbase who are satisfied with the quality of voice acting in TPCi's dub. And to be honest, I was surprised to find anyone who still prefers (and misses) Veronica's Ash voice. Aww, I'm so glad to find out that, there are fans who haven't forgotten her. That makes me happy!! Very Happy

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, yes, getting Veronica Taylor back is possible. There was a VA change in the Polish dub of Pokemon, and because the dubbing studio listened to the fans, they actually regained the original voice actors for season 11. Isn't that amazing? I think it's very inspiring as well. And, if anyone wants to help bring Veronica Taylor back, just send me a PM. Afterall, you never know what you can do, until ya try! So, if you want the original Ash voice back, I say, it's better to do something to help, rather than not try at all. Anime smile

Doing nothing will not help Veronica Taylor return, as TPCi seems to have a personal grudge against her or something. I don't know what their problem is, but the whole situation seems strange to me. I mean, they still haven't given Veronica Taylor an opportunity to work on the show, nor have they negotiated with her at all. It sure makes you wonder what's going on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Who says an anime needs a manga story to follow to have fillers?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Filler_episode

(Scroll down to 'In Pokemon)

----------------------------------------------------------------

If it were up to me I'd take out the entire Orange Island arc for one thing. I haven't seen much since the original but any arc of that nature would be removed as well.

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but some voice changes occurred in the original series as well. I've noticed that Meowth for one sounded more serious and intelligent yet comedic at the same time in early episodes, but then it changed into a more nasaly and they gave him the comedic stereotypical comedic Jewish accent where he says things like 'woice' instead of 'worse', it just wasn't as effective in making him serious and comedic at the same time.

And I also noticed how Veronica Taylor made Ash sound more boyish in the earlier episodes but then they soothed his voice and raided the pitch somewhat and he started to sound more girly as it went on.

If I could redub it, I'd keep that more boyish sound and that more serious Meowth even though the person who did his voice is dead.

One thing is for sure, the first movie could use a proper dub instead of one that completely contradicts the whole franchise. For me personally, even when I was little, I found that to be an epic fail that ruined the movie for me. Then I saw the Japanese version and I realized that Pokemon, had it been dubbed a bit better, could have appealed to the same target audience as shows like Naruto targets.

I am aware that video game franchises naturally go through changes when localized, such as Street Fighter name switches, but the contents of the Pokemon anime were too culturally different for the Americanization that they inserted to blend in smoothly.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of giving Pokemon the 'DBZ Kai Treatment' as I call it, Bleach could also use that, the Bount Arc for one was the most useless arcs in the history of anime fillers which lasted for over 40 goddamn episodes, at least with Naruto you can skip the pre-shippuden fillers easily and it wouldn't affect the show at all.

Dragon Ball Z Kai set an example of how to revive as well as maintain the quality of an anime with filler problems. And thanks to that, anime is on TV again. I hope one day the Unicron Trilogy of Transformers gets a redub as well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If it we up to me I'd take out the entire Orange Island arc for one thing. I haven't seen much since the original but any arc of that nature would be removed as well.

Does that mean you haven't seen Orange Islands? Because that's probably the best arc, and has the best battle between Ash and Drake (probably because Ash actually won). Orange Islands are like the animated version of Pokemon Stadium since it's a lot more than "show up, get it close/maybe lose, but ultimately win (unless it's in the finals of the League Tournament) with an ultimate move". It had innovation and was a breathe of fresh air, especially considering how the Indigo League ended. So what if it was filler? It was good.

The one thing they need to stop doing is having Ash lose in the most ridiculous ways. First, Charizard stopped battling in the Indigo League. Second, he won the Orange Cup, and that was probably the best season. Third, they had a guy who used an unseen third gen Pokemon for the Johto League. Fourth, they used a stupid Cowboy Meowth and Ash's team was an absolute joke. Fifth, he actually won the Battle Frontier, which I believe was also pretty good (see the pattern here?). Fifth, spoiler[he loses to a mysterious person that uses a god damn Darkrai and Latios] and he uses another joke team.

They don't need cut filler as much as they need to stop treating Ash like crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I hate that he never wins the "main" tournaments and only seems to win the filler ones. Are they afraid fans might not stay if he wins a mainstream one instead of a filler? He can still improve after winning, just that the writers have to be creative. Certainly not being creative when they make him loose...
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
If it we up to me I'd take out the entire Orange Island arc for one thing. I haven't seen much since the original but any arc of that nature would be removed as well.

Does that mean you haven't seen Orange Islands? Because that's probably the best arc, and has the best battle between Ash and Drake (probably because Ash actually won). Orange Islands are like the animated version of Pokemon Stadium since it's a lot more than "show up, get it close/maybe lose, but ultimately win (unless it's in the finals of the League Tournament) with an ultimate move". It had innovation and was a breathe of fresh air, especially considering how the Indigo League ended. So what if it was filler? It was good.

The one thing they need to stop doing is having Ash lose in the most ridiculous ways. First, Charizard stopped battling in the Indigo League. Second, he won the Orange Cup, and that was probably the best season. Third, they had a guy who used an unseen third gen Pokemon for the Johto League. Fourth, they used a stupid Cowboy Meowth and Ash's team was an absolute joke. Fifth, he actually won the Battle Frontier, which I believe was also pretty good (see the pattern here?). Fifth, spoiler[he loses to a mysterious person that uses a god damn Darkrai and Latios] and he uses another joke team.

They don't need cut filler as much as they need to stop treating Ash like crap.

Orange is part of the original series. But even then that was kind of pointless, pink pokemon episode, the tanned Nurse Joy episode. I think they should cut most of the fillers out and leave only the ones that contributed to the story, such as his catching certain Pokemon and winning the badges.
Painted Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
Good ol' Jimmy Zoppi has a pretty good range for the fill ins, hard to believe he's always been Gary + the new roles.

Yeah, too bad he's gone on-record in the fanbase (due to an email he sent someone) as saying he feels that the stuff he makes up for the show and such is "superior to the Japanese" To quote:
>> "The only thing I will say about Japanese vs. US is, the Japanese translation is not funny at all. What made Pokemon popular in the 1st place was being able to stray from the original Japanese, and that will continue. And my experience is- that Team Rocket is the funniest stuff on the show!".

This works out horribly mostly for the Rocket TRio since most of their dialogue is changed to "Oh no, Jessie will beat us up" and any *gasp *development is erased. (If you need examples of what I mean, look here and here).
PokemonTrainerLisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Huh? How could they keep the show going on and on, if Ash beats a league? I always thought that, once Ash gets first place in a regional league, they'd have to end the show. I mean, whenever Ash would get 1st place would mean it'd be the last season, and they'd have to tie up all the loose ends, and make him become a Pokemon Master.

Anyway, the writing of the show doesn't bother me at all. The Japanese writers could have anything happen, and I'd still watch Pokemon. But that's just me, lol.

My main concern with the dub, is the voice acting. I really miss Ash's original voice! In my opinion, ever since they replaced Veronica Taylor, Ash hasn't been the same character. Crying or Very sad

The King of Harts wrote:

I completely agree with you. Orange Islands was GREAT! I have the DVD boxset! Very Happy

Filler episodes in Pokemon don't bother me at all. In fact, Johto Journeys is my favorte season! I love seeing what crazy situations Ash and his friends get themselves into. Also, I think the filler episodes are actually some of the best episodes in the entire series. They're so funny! Episodes such as "The Fortune Hunters", the episode about the Pokemon Fortune telling book. And there's a dozen other good ones in Johto Journeys as well. Anime hyper

TopGunman wrote:
And I also noticed how Veronica Taylor made Ash sound more boyish in the earlier episodes but then they soothed his voice and raided the pitch somewhat and he started to sound more girly as it went on.

Yes, in early season one, Ash did have a deeper voice. He sounded like all other young boy cartoon characters at the time. They all had a stuffy nose! Anime hyper

But later on, when Veronica made Ash's voice higher pitched for late Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto Journeys, he still sounded like a boy. Ash always sounded like a young-boy to me. =)

I mean, afterall, don't young boys in real life have high-pitched voices? Veronica's Ash voice was perfect, in my opinion. That voice sounded very unique and natural. It made you believe that Ash was a real kid. <3

And by the way, that "stuffy nose" quality is still there, with Ash's voice. The voice isn't quite like it was in Kanto, but you can still hear that stuffy quality. You can hear it in Ash's voice during seasons 1-5 of the original series.

However, in the Hoenn seasons, Ash sounds older, because it's a deeper pitch and his voice seems to have lost that rough quality altogether. But despite that, I still like the Hoenn pitch. I think it suits Hoenn Ash fine, because he acts more mature in that region, than he did in Kanto/Johto. =)

Anyway, my favorite pitch that Veronica Taylor used was definitely the high-pitched voice during Orange Islands and Johto Journeys. I thought Ash sounded so cute back then. You could just hear the energy in his voice! <3 I also like the pitch Veronica used during Master Quest (late Johto). The pitch was still high, but Ash's voice sounded a lot more polished in that season, overall.

TopGunman wrote:

If I could redub it, I'd keep that more boyish sound and that more serious Meowth even though the person who did his voice is dead.

Actually, Meowth had two different voice actors in the 4Kids dub. The serious Meowth you're talking about is Nathan Price.

Nathan Price voiced Meowth for the first 20 or so episodes. And then, 20-some episodes into season one, they replaced him with Maddie Blaustein (RIP <3).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
PokemonTrainerLisa wrote:

Yes, in early season one, Ash did have a deeper voice. He sounded like all other young boy cartoon characters at the time. They all had a stuffy nose! Anime hyper

But later on, when Veronica made Ash's voice higher pitched for late Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto Journeys, he still sounded like a boy. Ash always sounded like a young-boy to me. =)

I mean, afterall, don't young boys in real life have high-pitched voices? Veronica's Ash voice was perfect, in my opinion. That voice sounded very unique and natural. It made you believe that Ash was a real kid. <3

And by the way, that "stuffy nose" quality is still there, with Ash's voice. It's not quite like it was in Kanto, but you can still hear it. You can hear it throughout seasons 1-5 of the original series.

However, in the Hoenn seasons, Ash sounds older, because it's a deeper pitch and his voice seems to have lost that rough quality altogether. But despite that, I still like this pitch. I think it suits Hoenn Ash fine, because he acts more mature in that region, than he did in Kanto/Johto. =)

But my favorite pitch that Veronica Taylor used was the high-pitched voice during Orange Islands and Johto Journeys. I thought Ash sounded so cute back then. You could just hear the energy in his voice! <3 I also like the pitch Veronica used during Master Quest (late Johto). The pitch was still high, but Ash's voice sounded a lot more polished overall.

Whatever one may call it, stuffy nose or whatever, but his old more boyish voice prevented him from being a whiner or a scaredy cat in certain situations. Call me old-fashioned John Wayne, but I never really liked weak characters in any show, but the only consolation was Ash never sounded like one, but the tougher one was the one I liked the most.

PokemonTrainerLisa wrote:

Actually, Meowth had two different voice actors in the 4Kids dub. The serious Meowth you're talking about is Nathan Price.

Nathan Price voiced Meowth for the first 20 or so episodes. And then, 20-some episodes into season one, they replaced him with Maddie Blaustein (RIP <3).

I'm aware of that, but I doubt that Meowth's original voice couldn't have been imitated by someone else. I just don't like Meowth depicted as a cartoony whining cat when he was more sophistimicated than that, he seemed to be played down to comic relief level and can't be anything else.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Huh? How could they keep the show going on and on, if Ash beats a league? I always thought that, once Ash gets first place in a regional league, they'd have to end the show. I mean, whenever Ash would get 1st place would mean it'd be the last season, and they'd have to tie up all the loose ends, and make him become a Pokemon Master.

But that's just it, he did beat a league. Not once, but twice in Orange Islands and Battle Frontier and he still wants to be the best he can be. Not to mention the term "Pokemon Master" has been vague and hasn't been used much after a certain point from the dub. Same way with "Gotta Catch 'em All."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3