• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-01-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, could someone please explain this strip? I didn't understand. Where were Nina and Paola? Why were the comics so horrible?
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Loving the R. Crumb style in that last panel. If you tossed in a Mr. Natural look-a-like it would've been double the bonus.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
OMG!!!..... Laughing Laughing ..... That was something to wrap your brain around.... Poor Nina, but her shock was hilarious.... Can't wait for next week..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm sorry, could someone please explain this strip? I didn't understand. Where were Nina and Paola? Why were the comics so horrible?

I screwed up and posted next week's comic this week. If you refresh the page, the two related comics have been posted together as a double feature. Apologies for my error, you have more context now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I screwed up and posted next week's comic this week. If you refresh the page, the two related comics have been posted together as a double feature. Apologies for my error, you have more context now.

Aha, alternative and indie crowd, now I get it. Thanks, Zac. Also... creeeeeeeeepy.....
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
Oh my Eyes! Shocked My beautiful eyes!

Damm you Gary!

Anyway, i bet the indie crowd will not be please.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
TPX

Tiny Print because it's on Toilet Paper. You're gonna need it, you wouldn't want that s#!T getting on your hands.

R.Crumb is kinda like John Waters(Jack Black, too) in that it's easy to only know them from their high profile work. You might think they're just kind of quirky, but they have done some stuff that would make your skin crawl.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
I can't click on the first strip to make it larger, it tells me to stop stealing.

http://cdn2.4nn.cx/images/cms/anime-news-nina/38504/comic-124.jpg
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
*throws up a little inside at the last panel*

A little? The cleaning crew's going to be pissed at me tonight for the crap I just left them to clean.
Oatmeal already looks bad going down...

I enjoyed the facial expressions of the background group. I relate quite well with Nina in this regard, as I'm often looking at the same expressions.

Ironic, if you think about it, given the works presented which are expressions against the "establishment", in a way.

Dead deer morphing into a cake. Why the hell does this sound so familiar?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
"Ah...well. I'm bored and curious. I'll come with you."

That is so hilarious in and out of context.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
N.R.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Indie comic? Well, at least she didn't call them "fanzines'. But if fans of manga and anime can say shoujo, shounen, yuri and yaoi they can definitely call doujinshi by their Japanese name. I also felt that this time Nina was the one behaving like a jerk. You have to accept the fact that doujinshi are made for their artistic or satiric value. They are not an official extension of any manga or anime. The last panel was really shocking. I LOLed.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Aw...awwwww, that last panel...oh god...my eyes...
The King of Harts wrote:
"Ah...well. I'm bored and curious. I'll come with you."

That is so hilarious in and out of context.

Cool
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Hehe, the first comic was kind of predictable, but the second one more than made up for it. As a bonus, I got to learn the word "denigrate" today. Smile
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Indie comic? Well, at least she didn't call them "fanzines'. But if fans of manga and anime can say shoujo, shounen, yuri and yaoi they can definitely call doujinshi by their Japanese name. I also felt that this time Nina was the one behaving like a jerk. You have to accept the fact that doujinshi are made for their artistic or satiric value. They are not an official extension of any manga or anime. The last panel was really shocking. I LOLed.

But fans who'd say doujinshi wouldn't use the word to refer to AMERICAN comics, which is what this comic is about.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, the indie scene. You know, I'm all about freedom of expression, but my cousin is thoroughly involved in the Indie scene, and I have to admit a lot of it escapes me. It's not that I have a problem understanding it, but it seems like so many of the people intentionally sit down and ask, "How can I make sure I'm marginalized?"

Anyway, wouldn't it be nice to combine the quieter atmosphere of the non-anime conventions and the subject matter of an anime con? That's probably why The Minneapolis Institute of Art's "Schoolgirls and Mobile Suits" convention is so awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4