• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-01-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Oh, the indie scene. You know, I'm all about freedom of expression, but my cousin is thoroughly involved in the Indie scene, and I have to admit a lot of it escapes me. It's not that I have a problem understanding it, but it seems like so many of the people intentionally sit down and ask, "How can I make sure I'm marginalized?"

That's a good question. I think some of them simply enjoy the freedom of independent comics and want to take advantage of it as much as they can, but in doing so they end up producing work that appeals to no one but themselves.

There is some stellar independent stuff out that that will appeal to almost anyone, though.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I can't click on the first strip to make it larger, it tells me to stop stealing.

http://cdn2.4nn.cx/images/cms/anime-news-nina/38504/comic-124.jpg

I got this at first, but when I clicked your link, it worked just fine. Confused

ANN, seriously.... you should stop hotlinking your own images. Razz
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
(..was Myoopi attempting Caramelldansen in the 5th panel on the 1st comic? thats....adorable Anime hyper)

oh indie comics. I probably should be more interested in you, but.....I'm sorry....
even if I only vaguely understand the inside jokes in the 2nd comic, its still hilarious Anime hyper
yay for a double feauture too.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Being in a culturual blackhole around here, we never really had much of an indie scene prescence. Not that I wouldn't be able to enjoy art for arts sake just something that would clash with the old school feel around here would be hunted down and destroyed by the city government though. Or maybe I'm just not "in the know" to know where I can find these things. Help a guy out here!
sonickid101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
those places always seem to ooz with pretentiousness, glad to see somone calling it out. great comic, will there be more double features in the future?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I can't click on the first strip to make it larger, it tells me to stop stealing.

http://cdn2.4nn.cx/images/cms/anime-news-nina/38504/comic-124.jpg
Northlander wrote:

I got this at first, but when I clicked your link, it worked just fine. Confused

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1045199
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
That last panel goes beyond NSFW, that's not safe for viewing, period! Still, Nina is being pretty obnoxious there. She's not in her world of anime and manga, she's in theirs. Be respectful, or GTFO. I can tell I'd probably have the same reaction, but I'd have just headed out the door instead and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
That last panel goes beyond NSFW, that's not safe for viewing, period! Still, Nina is being pretty obnoxious there. She's not in her world of anime and manga, she's in theirs. Be respectful, or GTFO. I can tell I'd probably have the same reaction, but I'd have just headed out the door instead and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

Like which panel? For me its weird on either side. Either weird doujin or weird indie. They are weird regardless who made them. Also people who denigrating for the sake of denigrating have no place anywhere. It just creates more hate.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like rehash of underground comics that flourished during the '70's. My cousin, who was 9 yrs old at that time, was gifted a box of this indie gold by a hippie couple and was reselling them to kids at a flea market near Oakland, CA as comic books unaware of their portent. I picked 1 up and started reading it then brought the content to the attention of her mother and grandmother sitting nearby. My cousin was relieved of this cool contraband quickly. That hippie couple gift went straight to a dumpster.
Damn, looking back I wish I had that box now. Will there be more panels like this soon?
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the gary comic might have been influenced by "Zap Comics" from the late 60's. I found one from 1969 amongst some of my dad's old things one day, really bizzar sexual comics. Does anyone remember Zap comics?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I love how Nina gets to be on the other side of the "fish out of water" fence. Even though I agree 100% with what Nina says, I would never go to an indie comic convention and say it. If I did I would be just as bad as the people (usually parents) who get dragged to anime conventions (usually by their kids, obviously) and spend the whole time there obnoxiously commenting on how everything is stupid, nonsensical, disgusting, etc.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
WTF??? I think I'll pass on this shit-not my cup of tea
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Most of us are mature enough not to act the way Nina just did here. But her reactions are hilarious and the last panel...oho wow.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
And to think, any child that sees the last panel in the second comic will be emotionally scarred for life *hooray!*! Twisted Evil (Heck, I'm not a child but even I wish that I could find some way to get that image out of my mind. Why can't humans have the ability to un-read things?! Ishihara said that I have warped DNA so why haven't my special abilities to erase minds (in this case my own) kicked in yet? Laughing I could really use it about now!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
OH DEAR GOD!! Is right Nina. Anime hyper Anime dazed I love her reactions. And I so don't blame her for them. Cool

Quote:
Robin!!! What the h-e-double hockey sticks?! Anime dazed
My brain...it hurts. It HURTS! Last. Panel. Image. Eeeeehhhhccchhhkkkkk.
If this strip is even based, just a little on real life, I'm never, ever, ever going to one of these cons. * dissipates into nothingness Final Fantasy KO'd style*

Same here! Aw the image! It burns! Anime hyper Laughing Indie comics are weird. Anime dazed

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4