• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Webcomics survey Error

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KZK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
The webcomics survey contains a number of errors.

The Most important error is this:

These comics are erroneously grouped together:

"Dangerously Chloe", "Raven's Dojo", "Magick Chicks", "Sticky Dilly Buns", "out at home"

"Magick Chicks" & "Dangerously Chloe" should be grouped together along with "Eerie Cuties".(Spinoffs). No other comics in this universe.

"Ménage à 3" should be grouped together with "Sticky Dilly Buns". (Spinoff). No other comics in this universe.

I have no idea what "Raven's dojo" or "out at home" are, but they don't belong with the others.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
The problem is that ANN allowed people to enter comics that weren't already on the list, but they only provided one space to do so. Therefore, those people who had seen multiple comics that weren't on the list then put those multiple comics into that one place. Someone on the Talkback thread thought that if they separated the titles with semi-colons then all the titles would be individually added, but that wasn't the case, and all the titles are added in one clump.

Although it is a user-generated error, it's ultimately ANN's fault for not allowing people to add multiple comics to the list. I think they underestimated how many popular webcomics are out there.

Here is an example of what we're talking about:

Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Also anime/manga fans would probably dig Raven's Dojo a lot.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Although it is a user-generated error, it's ultimately ANN's fault for not allowing people to add multiple comics to the list. I think they underestimated how many popular webcomics are out there.

The survey software only allows people to add one item at a time. It wasn't really a decision made for the webcomic survey, but rather an inherent limitation in the software.

I'll get that fixed next time we update the survey software.

In terms of the results for this survey, it really made very little difference, the top results are what we were interested in, and those aren't affected by this...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
KZK wrote:
These comics are erroneously grouped together

Those comics weren't really "grouped together" so much as added on one line by respondent. I've just removed all but the first comic from each one of those... Not exactly the greatest solution, but the only one available to me.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1