• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl Opening Weekend Numbers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh I didn't know it was going to expand into 200 theaters weekend. Now I won't have to drive all the way into Boston to see it again... nice Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Pretty poor figures, 3 years since Spirited Away, more theatres and still managed less, I would have liked to have seen it earn a lot more than that and atleast get on the top 10 for it's opening weekend.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the opening weekend for Spirited Away was in late-September, a much slower time of year for the movies, when limited releases don't have to compete quite as much for attention with the likes of major Hollywood summer blockbuster wide-releases like Mr. & Mrs. Smith and the upcoming Batman Begins.

I'm suspecting the biggest weekend for Howl's Moving Castle will be the third weekend, which, for the blockbusters, will be the lull weekend in between Batman Begins and War of the Worlds, when the major new wide releases are "only" Land of the Dead (which I'm very much looking forward to) and Bewitched (which I'm also looking forward to).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wil2197

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Pehaps the movie did poor since there was no PUBLICITY for the movie (other than the one night screening at the Modern Art). I didn't have the slightest clue that the movie was out.
Meep-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
wil2197 wrote:
Pehaps the movie did poor since there was no PUBLICITY for the movie (other than the one night screening at the Modern Art). I didn't have the slightest clue that the movie was out.

there were many commercials, especially on [adult swim]. Anyways, i haven't gotten the chance to see it yet since it's not showing in any theaters nearby. I have a whole group of friends ready to go see it, as soon as it comes to a theater near us. And who knows if that's even gonna happen Confused
Rukusho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Meep-chan wrote:

there were many commercials, especially on [adult swim]. Anyways, i haven't gotten the chance to see it yet since it's not showing in any theaters nearby. I have a whole group of friends ready to go see it, as soon as it comes to a theater near us. And who knows if that's even gonna happen Confused

Yeah, I was jazzed to see it last week when I thougt it would come out here...but noooo....limited release....

I just hope it gets released in my city this weekend
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
The main problem is not the lack of publicity, but the American idea of animation in general. There is this perpetual stigma attached to animation in the states that it is for kids. Baring the stylized computer comedies (i.e. Incredibles, Finding Nemo, etc.), animation is relgated to this status.

Even when a movie tries to take itself seriously and merely uses the animation as a medium of expression, I think a lot of it is lost on people. Films like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (Miyazaki wh*** right here Very Happy ) thus do poorly; Howl is nothing new.

Even an American-made film as wonderfully drawn and well-written as Titan A.E. is ignored merely because it is animated.

I just can't understand people's limited views. Even my dormmates can't open their eyes; their usual statement is, "Well, if it's so great, why can't it be made with real people?" And I just give up because their too ignorant and close minded.
AzuNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote
I hope it's because people are realizing that Miyazaki movies are for children, not some kind of stunning, groundbreaking cinematic masterpieces that "reviewers" keep giving him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote
Meep-chan wrote:
wil2197 wrote:

there were many commercials, especially on [adult swim].

Yes, but Adult Swim, while it may have a lot of anime fans watching it that would be interested in Miyazaki's movies, is still mainly a young adult male channel. (I think mostly 17-25? Something like that? Don't really feel like hunting around for the exact ages.)

Wonderful as Miyazaki's movies are, most men in that age group generaly don't like to watch anything besides laugh-out-loud comedies or sci-fi action flicks, of which Howl's Moving Castle is neither.

Miyazaki films are children's movies at heart, and in order to get the biggest audience it can, it would need much more advertising on more kid-friendly channels like Cartoon Network during the day or ABC Family. (I'm sure it would be a lot easier for Disney to get the commercial on their own channel.)

Now, I know it's not only advertising, it also has to do with the whole summer opening deal as stated before. Considering the situation, (Big summer movies, fewer moviegoers, "nicheness" of anime.) Howl's Moving Castle seems to have a pretty good opening.

Now all I can do is hope one of those next 200 theaters is somewhere in Austin. Come on, Dobie!
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
Pretty poor figures, 3 years since Spirited Away, more theatres and still managed less, I would have liked to have seen it earn a lot more than that and atleast get on the top 10 for it's opening weekend.

Did you read the article?
"North American box office sales this spring have been considerably lower than they were at the same time last year."
mako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting here and I'm a bit nervous... (well, I know there is no need to be nervous, but you know what I mean.)

Well, if you compare it with Spirited Away, the number isn't that great, but when you compare the average numbers, Mr. and Mrs. Smith is the only one above Howl's. Doesn't it count?

Also does anyone know if a list of those 200 theaters exists somewhere in the cyberspace? I have a feeling that it won't coming to where I live, but I want to know for sure. Thanks!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The per screen average is pretty good, but keep in mind that the per screen average for limited releases will usually be higher than they are for wide releases as demand is more concentrated, as people travel farther to watch a film on a fraction as many screens. Mr. & Mrs. Smith is on a saturation level number of screens, so people only have to travel to the nearest suburban multiplex to see it as it is on many, many screens in each metropolitan area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RX-78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
me and a bunch of friends went to see it last Friday when it first started its run at the Baltimore Whitemarsh Loews. It was a big suprise to see only about 10 or 15 other fifteen people in the theatre as we arrived. It was a late show (10:30), but i would have expected some of the older hardcore fans to be out. ]

One of the friends i went with doesnt like anime very much and she left loving it along with everyone else who saw it. its a shame that more people haven't seen this anime. there are a lot of of other that things better then all the hollywood crap thats put out with sex, violence, and cussing.
lj1958

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Bear in mind that there are a lot of cities in the country where Howl is not screening. The metro area where I live is near the bottom of the top 50 markets in the US, and we haven't gotten Howl yet.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that this was playing at the theater in my town that shows independant and foreign films today. I rarely check their website, and didn't think to check it until my friend's mom told me that "some Japanese animation movie is showing there that I can't remember" and I put two & two together. Hopefully I can find time to make it there before it leaves the theater. (For those who wonder how much trouble I have getting to the theater: I still haven't seen Star Wars Episode 3, and I am dying to see that.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2