• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Buddha

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But just imagine if someone today tried to do the same thing with Christianity, that would probably cause so much controversy and annoyance (actually, I think I do recall seeing a comic book, maybe even manga version of the Bible somewhere, what I mean is presenting it as anything other than a scene for scene direct translation with no liberties allowed to be taken to the story for any reasons without causing an upset), I'm rather impressed that this manga was able to be made at all because I don't think it'd fly today.

Actually, I don't see any real problems with something like it getting made today. Some people will complain, but there are a lot of weird interpretations of religious figures floating around out there, from "The Last Temptation of Christ" (which, indeed, was controversial) to Jesus Christ on South Park.

Most Buddhists seem to be generally pretty mellow about how Buddhism is depicted, so I'm not surprised Tezuka was able to do "Buddha." In terms of Christian comics, in addition to "Manga Messiah" (hi BlueVII!) and "Manga Bible", and the Korean "Manga Bible", there's many other Christian comics out there. In terms of nonbelievers doing religious comics, Robert Crumb's "Book of Genesis" adaptation that came out about a year ago was actually a pretty big seller. The underground comic artist Chester Brown did a series of New Testament adaptations, but they haven't been collected yet, I think. Even Larry Gonick was able to talk about the life of Muhammed in "The Cartoon History of the Universe Volume 3" by not showing Muhammed directly onscreen, the same way it's done in the Muslim film "The Message" and a couple of other Muslim adaptations of the subject matter. (Of course, Jack Chick, the right-wing fundamentalist Christian comic artist, has no qualms about showing Muhammad all over the place in his anti-Islam comics... he's right on the front cover of "The Prophet".)

I think in most religions, there's enough difference of belief that *someone* is going to complain about whatever you say, even if you are intending to tell the story from a Christian (or Buddhist, or whatever) perspective. Although some religions are stricter or less strict about it in general.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Lots of people seem to be wondering what an artistic take on Jesus' life would be. I've honestly been thinking a lot about that. I have a lot of ideas for a long-running manga that has Luke as a narrator, with possible chapters being narrated by John Mark, Mary, and Peter. But the main thing is that Jesus is not the main character. The main character needs to doubt; needs to be relatable. Since Christianity holds that Jesus is God, we are not afforded the luxury of making him a flawed character that has to grow. So the key is to tell the story through the eyes of the disciples.--

Well, Jesus did doubt himself in the Garden of Gethsemane before his arrest. Confused
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I've read the manga twice through, and I found this very enlightening. Smile

I hope Vertical re-releases it in hardcover.

*hint hint*
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I hope Vertical re-releases it in hardcover.

I almost scoffed at the idea, then envisioned a set of hardbound high-quality Buddha volumes and realized what a high opinion of the manga I have when I thought "That would actually be appropriate for this series..." I can't think of many where I'd feel that way (maybe Nausicaa).
Zump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
I have read the first four volumes of Buddha, and it is indeed some of Tezuka's finest work.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, Jesus did doubt himself in the Garden of Gethsemane before his arrest. Confused

I...don't think he did. He prayed that if there was any other way to save humanity without getting crucified, to "let this cup (i.e., the pain of getting nailed to a cross and hung up until he died) pass fom me." Who wouldn't? He was incredibly miserable at that point. To know what's coming...to be able to walk away...but know that everyone you care about will be lost if you do....

I don't think he doubted his endurance. Here's a man who fasted for forty days. He was master of his own body, and if there was indeed no other way, he was committed to going through with being crucified.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Quote:

I...don't think he did. He prayed that if there was any other way to save humanity without getting crucified, to "let this cup (i.e., the pain of getting nailed to a cross and hung up until he died) pass fom me." Who wouldn't? He was incredibly miserable at that point. To know what's coming...to be able to walk away...but know that everyone you care about will be lost if you do....

I don't think he doubted his endurance. Here's a man who fasted for forty days. He was master of his own body, and if there was indeed no other way, he was committed to going through with being crucified.

Isn't it all a matter of how you choose to interpret the scene?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
My mom and I have 4 volumes of this manga. I really enjoy this manga, but my mom love this manga (and it's her first manga) because she's buddhist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2