• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winds of Amnesia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Alas, you two always are stuck with one another. Doesn't all that tsuntsun bickering wear you out?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I was hoping that someone who has read the Manga would see my post and then tell me if those first ten minutes were in the Manga.

But alas, I get you, who hasn't read the Manga, and who doesn't know anything about what I want to know.

Basically no one knows anything about the manga, really. I've seen one page of it (covering some events from episode 3) and aside from it having really shitty art, its also even more ridiculously overdramatic.

In the manga version of the episode 3 events, spoiler[Manabe was STABBED by Moritani's goons, after she told them that he tried to rape her]

So if anything, the anime seems to be toning the drama down a bit.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I was hoping that someone who has read the Manga would see my post and then tell me if those first ten minutes were in the Manga.

Amazon.jp, like Amazon.us, has a preview function for books. You can check out the first few strips.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I knew going into this that Bamboo would dislike Senran Kagura. Can't say I agree with her as I find it a fun and enjoyable to show to watch.

I don't know if she disliked it as her write-up was somewhat positive, just that it wasn't for her. Her write-up is a pretty accurate description of the show so far.

I'm enjoying it, but that's due to being familiar with and liking the franchise already.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I like Granpa Hanzo the most. What other character carries around a portable sushi bar to just to make extra long sushi rolls so he can observe young girls eating them?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Amazon.jp, like Amazon.us, has a preview function for books. You can check out the first few strips.

Thank you.

I did visit Amazon Japan, and yes, the page for Kotoura-san's first volume did allow me to see some of the Manga (as you'd expect, many pages were deliberately not viewable). Ignoring the title page and the SD character introductions, from what I can tell this seems to be the first actual page of the Manga:

It appears to be the scene where Kotoura introduces herself to the class. So I guess I was right after all.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
awsome. that everyone knows you are correct, can we move on?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
As a product of the American public education system, I don't see how anyone would think children or teenagers are paragons of self and social thought.

Our schools are full of kids who haven't the faintest idea of social cues.

So it shouldn't be an alien concept that a little girl becomes damaged by the ill treatment she receives from her peers and parents, and is unable to recover from it, even with the gift or curse of telepathy.

It is not an alien concept because it happens in real life.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It appears to be the scene where Kotoura introduces herself to the class. So I guess I was right after all.

It is possible that the manga re-arranged the chapters to be in chronological order (that is, the events were depicted in flashbacks). You wouldn't want to open a new manga without introducing the main characters whereas for an anime such an arrangement can grab attention.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Darnit, I was trying to make this a light season for me so I could focus on school work but now it sounds like there are a number of shows I should try out when I have the time....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Darnit, I was trying to make this a light season for me so I could focus on school work but now it sounds like there are a number of shows I should try out when I have the time....

I always hope the next seasons will suck so I can chip away harder at more films and older anime, but it never happens. I don't give up on the lesser shows if they're not amazing.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Regarding Kotoura-san, I must say that I can agree with the posters who say she had no idea what she was doing was bad or that it was the reason she was being ostracized. I'm 32 years old now and I STILL don't know why I was treated as a freak when I was the same age as her(both as a child and a young adult.) I wasn't doing anything other than being myself and for whatever reason, it led to my being generally disliked, bullied, made a fool of, made fun of, being told I wasn't human etc and was why I spent much of my time from pre-school to high school sophomore life in a suicidal depression. So I will gladly be a counterpoint to anyone who says it was an easy thing to learn because it was not for me, and if it wasn't for me, it wasn't for others.

I see what you are getting at here, but this is a different case. You see, the fact is she would have been blasted by a 1000 thoughts a day telling her "why the hell did you say that, do you realize that hurt me?" It's no mystery and a little girl WOULD realize this. A similar situation would be a 3 year old who gets hit with a belt everytime she says the word "bag" AND as an added bonus the parent tells them to stop saying the word. It doesn't take a kid long to figure it out and stop saying it regardless of if its a bad word or not. It doesn't take ANY kid long. Heck it doesn't take a puppy but a few days/weeks to figure things like that out.

There is no way she couldn't get this without lacking basic primordial instincts.

This issue is also totally different from that of goths etc....

Also, telling people's thoughts out loud is totally a terrible thing to do, regardless of its on purpose or not. Ignorance is no excuse. It's pretty horrible.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't pick up many new shows because most of my Fall series were continuing. Too bad Bamboo dropped Magi and Zetsuen Tempest, they're both getting more awesome by the week.

As of now, my ranking would go like this

1. Psycho-Pass. Undisputably fantastic, I'm completely enraptured with this show, its double morals and the dark and deep questioning on society. My only complaint is that side-characters like Kagari and Yayoi get too little screen-time, which I hope is fixed in the near future

2. Magi. I love this anime. It's pure shonen battle action with magic and fantasy done right. The characters are very likeable and it has a fantastic setting. The latest episode have also gone into the depths of humanity and society, criticising governments and social distinction with the figure of Kassim, whose story arc should be coming to an end soon

3. Zetsuen Tempest. When the confrontation near the two trees and spoiler[Hakaze's return] was imminent, I wondered what the writers would do to get more content for this two-cour show. I'm very gladly surprised to see that the story is not only on-going, but keeps a coherent and solid writing. It always keeps me thinking and wondering about good/evil and which tree is in the right or what will either group do to confront the current situation. The only thing annoying me is Hakaze's lovesick gimmick, it's so silly and completely ruins her character, I hope it doesn't last long

4. Saint Seiya Omega. I can't get enough of it. I have a gut feeling that the original Bronze will soon come back as Gold (spoiler[especially since now both Leo and Aquarius are death and Libra seems not too far from that]), and even if they don't I'm just really looking forward to the confrontation with Mars; spoiler[hopefully Ikki will show up before this one is over]

5. MAOYU. It's not as fun as I expected, mostly because the relationship between Maou and Yuusha is lacking in energy and humor, but I really appreciate all the insight given to economy, crops and relationships between power, war, money and resources. I also really like those scenes where the Hero realizes that he's not as heroic as he supposed and that he's not very capable for anything at all. I hope this prompts some massive character development for him and in turns move his relationship with Maou leagues forward

6. Fairy Tail. I'm not sure if I should still have it in my ranking after 160+ episodes, but since it's still fun, cool and full of exciting battles and amazing characters, I guess it still fits

7. Shirokuma Café. It's hard to rank Shirokuma Cafe. I love it to bits -this week's episode with Sasako and Llama talking about their childhood was adworable- but I'm a girl that loves classic shonen-action-fantasy battle stuff, so while I really enjoy it, I don't really look forward to it in the way I do with other series. Also, the newest opening is so lame

8. Bakuman 3. Now that the spoiler[End of Crow arc] is over, and seeing how they're not going to animate spoiler[Nanamine's return], instead diving directly to the spoiler[Reversi vs Zombie Gun and then the anime/seiyuu thing], my interest has greatly decreased, mostly because, having read the manga, I know that once it's established that spoiler[Reversi is more popular than Zombie Gun and the anime is approved, it becomes a bore]. Still hope to see at least a couple more great moments from Niizuma and Hiramaru, but nothing more.

9. The Unlimited. The latest episode with spoiler[The Children] made me glad that I never watched the original series. Those spoiler[ESP schoolgirls] look like incredibly boring protagonists, especially compared to P.A.N.D.R.A, which I find a lot more likeable and fun (and with horrible hair-dos lol). While it's a mostly ridiculous and over-the-top show (and there's no way I can take it seriously once Kyosuke goes Unlimited and his hair goes Saiyan) it's pretty fun and with cool action and fighting scenes.

10. Amnesia. I've watched a decent amount of otome-game based anime, but I don't remember being so off-put by any of them. Even Arcana Famiglia -which I ultimately dropped- had its spunky fiery protagonist going for it. So far, Amnesia doesn't even have that (heck, the protagonist doesn't even have a name). I don't know what to make of it. I really like the character designs, the weird clothes, the multi-colored eyes and the weird-gradiented hair. But that's about it. I haven't even seen enough from any of the characters (except perhaps, Shin) to like or dislike them (except Orion, I have nothing but despise for that annoying noisy dumbass). I'm really discouraged by the girl's lack of proactiveness in trying to look for her memories. I've said it before, but she really doesn't seem to care either way. I'll hang on for a couple more episodes, but if shit doesn't get moving soon I'm out.

I'm also watching Hetalia: The Beautiful World, but I don't know how I could rank it in comparison to the rest. The first episode was a blast
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
It is possible that the manga re-arranged the chapters to be in chronological order (that is, the events were depicted in flashbacks). You wouldn't want to open a new manga without introducing the main characters whereas for an anime such an arrangement can grab attention.

You make a good point, I hadn't considered this.

It's annoying how scarce scanlations of this are. Not that I really want to read the Manga, but it would be nice to know who to blame for that opening.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You make a good point, I hadn't considered this.

It's annoying how scarce scanlations of this are. Not that I really want to read the Manga, but it would be nice to know who to blame for that opening.

Literally no one in the English Language community had ever heard of this before the anime was announced.

Anyway, if you read what I posted about the excerpt from the manga equivalent of episode 3, it seems to indicate the anime is actually toning things down.

(also the manga's art is absolutely terrible. Looks like a mediocre Pixiv based 4koma)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10