• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winds of Amnesia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Although I agree with most of your rankings, I do have to say that Amnesia is a lot better than you're making it out to be. Sure, sometimes it's illogical, but the story keeps me wanting more, especially with the relationship between Shin and our protagonist.

Now, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of otome game anime. Hiiro no Kakera's first season made me want to bang my head against a wall (especially those ending segments), and Uta no Prince-sama's popularity here in Japan makes me want to rip out my hair. But Amnesiia is a beautiful breath of fresh air. Just as long as we don't start focusing on the other guys...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm curious as to why Minami-ke Tadaima is not ranked. I presume it's because it's a comedy with an expansive cast of classmates where you really have to watch the first season

Bingo!

If she hasn't seen the original show, Bamboo doesn't cover sequels. Same with The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke; that requires being familiar with Zettai Karen Children. Not that anyone should care because it's an incredibly dull action show.
As well as AKB0048 and HAGANAI NEXT.
And what is MDJ??
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Bamboo, on Kotoura-san, wrote:
Unaware of the effect her actions have on people, though, she starts blurting out everyone's thoughts out loud.

"Unaware"? The heck? She can read people's minds for crying out loud. That makes her the most qualified person on Earth to know what effect her actions have on other people.

Your actually implying a 5-6 year old can handle such a huge responsibility? Of course she was unware for those years because stay with me on this what are children taught at an early age?? To always tell the truth Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MDJ is problem children
hooliganj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
I'm curious as to why Minami-ke Tadaima is not ranked. I presume it's because it's a comedy with an expansive cast of classmates where you really have to watch the first season

Bingo!

If she hasn't seen the original show, Bamboo doesn't cover sequels. Same with The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke; that requires being familiar with Zettai Karen Children. Not that anyone should care because it's an incredibly dull action show.
As well as AKB0048 and HAGANAI NEXT.
And what is MDJ??

The Unlimited isn't really a sequel, more of a spin-off. If you've seen Zettai Karen Children, then you'll have a better understanding of some of the throwaway jokes, you'll know what powers some of the characters have before they're explained again, and you might get a kick out of the cameo appearances.

None of that's required, though - anything that you need to know to follow the plot is given within the show. For instance, when Minamoto and Sakaki appear in episode 3, the dialogue finds an excuse to give a quick explanation of what BABEL is and how they fight against Hyoubu's PANDRA, and then the show goes on.

On a different topic, I know Hunter X Hunter was dropped from the column, but it would be nice to get an impression of the new story arc that just started.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Kotoura below MDJ? I'd like to hear the rationale behind that.

Personally, MDJ is my favorite show of this season. It's got nice action, good music, cute characters, and pretty tight plotting.

Where did you get that Kotoura was below Problem Children? It is miles above Problem Children, because it's a better show.

I'm also really enjoying Problem Children, but it does NOT have "tight plotting." Are you serious? It has almost no plotting whatsoever. It's definitely a guilty pleasure show for me right now.

Three totally random kids get a letter that says, "Let go of your friends and families and lives if you want to see what you can do with your powers!" and they're all like, "Yeah, okay! Let's do that!" Then they're thrown into this unexplained world in which there are gods and demons and animal people, and all the kids are like, "Yeah! Cool! Gift games!" And then when they realize they're from different places around the world, Black Rabbit says, "Actually, you're from parallel worlds!" BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Come on. This show is an absolute mess.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I pretty much agree with all those dropped titles although I found Senran Kagura to be a fun watch.

Kotoura-san was quite the surprise when I began watching it. In fact, the show wasn't even under my radar until I heard about it on forums. As for the rest, I enjoy watching Chihayafuru 2, Psycho Pass, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, From the New World, and lately more of Robotics;Notes. Mayou has been slipping a little for me as well as Oreshura. One title not mentioned on this list that I've been enjoy watching would also be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with its current ongoing Battle Tendency arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
"Yeah! Cool! Gift games!" And then when they realize they're from different places around the world, Black Rabbit says, "Actually, you're from parallel worlds!" BECAUSE WHY NOT.

that's what you are hung up on?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Your actually implying a 5-6 year old can handle such a huge responsibility? Of course she was unware for those years because stay with me on this what are children taught at an early age?? To always tell the truth Idea

No, I don't buy that, for the simple reason that she could have easily discerned (either from her powers or from simple human experience) that telling the truth hurts people. Even small children could pick up on that. You ever see a child tell an abusive parent that they should lay off the drinking and that their feelings get hurt when the parent yells at them? No, of course not. It just doesn't happen. Through reinforcement and incredible perceptiveness, children pick up on cues and quickly learn to keep their feelings suppressed, or at least screened. Kotoura practically had no ability to keep her mouth shut even though she hurt a lot of people and knew what was hurting them. Did no-one around her ever think "I wish Kotoura hadn't told everyone my secret"? Someone must have, and yet she still blurted things out. Did her parents never think "I hope no-one finds out that I'm cheating"?

When faced with an ongoing problem or fear or emotional wound they can't deal with, children cope by using an avoidance mechanism, like withdrawing into their shells or watching their behaviour so they don't do what they know hurts them. It's how they know not to touch the pot again after singeing their fingers on it. It's how they know not to hit the cat anymore after she claws them. It's how they learn. Children don't keep cheerfully doing the very things that they know hurts them, because children aren't stupid. So even though no-one has ever been born with honest-to-god mind-reading powers, we still have a rough idea of how they'll act. And Kotoura just acts in the most stupidest way possible, as if she's incapable of learning from her past actions.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

No, I don't buy that, for the simple reason that she could have easily discerned (either from her powers or from simple human experience) that telling the truth hurts people. Even small children could pick up on that. You ever see a child tell an abusive parent that they should lay off the drinking and that their feelings get hurt when the parent yells at them? No, of course not. It just doesn't happen. Through reinforcement and incredible perceptiveness, children pick up on cues and quickly learn to keep their feelings suppressed, or at least screened. Kotoura practically had no ability to keep her mouth shut even though she hurt a lot of people and knew what was hurting them. Did no-one around her ever think "I wish Kotoura hadn't told everyone my secret"? Someone must have, and yet she still blurted things out. Did her parents never think "I hope no-one finds out that I'm cheating"?

When faced with an ongoing problem or fear or emotional wound they can't deal with, children cope by using an avoidance mechanism, like withdrawing into their shells or watching their behaviour so they don't do what they know hurts them. It's how they know not to touch the pot again after singeing their fingers on it. It's how they know not to hit the cat anymore after she claws them. It's how they learn. Children don't keep cheerfully doing the very things that they know hurts them, because children aren't stupid. So even though no-one has ever been born with honest-to-god mind-reading powers, we still have a rough idea of how they'll act. And Kotoura just acts in the most stupidest way possible, as if she's incapable of learning from her past actions.

1. Some people don't pick up on social cues. They are mentally incapable of processing social cues, and therefore they don't pick up on them.

2. I doubt that at any point someone actually sat down and told Kotoura that the truth hurts people. The only thing her parents ever said was that she was a compulsive liar. She probably thought she was being "good" by telling people the truth, and didn't understand why people would hide something. Because she's always heard everyone's thoughts, she's never understood why people don't say them out loud. Hell, it probably took her a while to figure out that everyone else *can't* hear thoughts.

At some point, she probably became so hurt and angry that she just did it to lash out at the people around her.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Kotoura below MDJ? I'd like to hear the rationale behind that.

Personally, MDJ is my favorite show of this season. It's got nice action, good music, cute characters, and pretty tight plotting.

Where did you get that Kotoura was below Problem Children? It is miles above Problem Children, because it's a better show.

I'm also really enjoying Problem Children, but it does NOT have "tight plotting." Are you serious? It has almost no plotting whatsoever. It's definitely a guilty pleasure show for me right now.

Three totally random kids get a letter that says, "Let go of your friends and families and lives if you want to see what you can do with your powers!" and they're all like, "Yeah, okay! Let's do that!" Then they're thrown into this unexplained world in which there are gods and demons and animal people, and all the kids are like, "Yeah! Cool! Gift games!" And then when they realize they're from different places around the world, Black Rabbit says, "Actually, you're from parallel worlds!" BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Oops, I meant "above".

Anyway, by "tight plotting", I'm talking about how it's moving along. There's three kids. They have cool powers. There's this massive world (that's 10 times the diameter of Earth). They fight crimeparticipate in gift games. It's simple and consistent in my opinion. I love super-complex and massively-interwoven plots as much as the next guy, but that's not the kind of show MDJ is trying to be.

Also, a story doesn't have to explain everything. BB (Black Rabbit) already gave a good overview of the gift games in the first episode. The GGs are matter to the protagonists the most, so they get explained front and center. Then episode 2 explained demon lords. One of the fun things about conworlds is that you learn about then as the story goes on...which is what MDJ is doing in the first place.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch Love Live more, but I can't stand that switch to CG while they're doing a dance number. I can't handle it, just looks awful.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MDJ is problem children

Thank you~

hooliganj wrote:

The Unlimited isn't really a sequel, more of a spin-off. [...]

None of that's required, though - anything that you need to know to follow the plot is given within the show. [...]

That's helpful, thanks, but I honestly can't get into this series because of Kyosuke and there wasn't anything else to it that kept me entertained.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Kotoura-San, I got the impression she couldn't really tell when someone was thinking as opposed to talking for a while.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only thing that puzzles about MAOYU is its need to have any fanservice at all.

Why not? Oh yeah, because bewbs are ebil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10