• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weekly Shonen Jump (USA) Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh boy, I really liked world trigger. Too bad I had to read it somewhere other than WSJ and not paying Viz the money I so desperately want to give them because region locking.

Because who cares how Europe reads thier funny books right? That £400 that could be spent on all of One Piece? Ah screw that with a vibrating screwdriver!

You could try contacting Viz, to let them know people in your region are interested in getting the service too. Maybe even get some friends to contact them to!
And maybe I can piss in the wind for all that works.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
actually pissing in the wind yields immediate results
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
actually pissing in the wind yields immediate results
Results and Works are two different states.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I will be adding regularly to my weekly survey a suggestion that they get the UK/Euro distro rights as soon as possible. Everyone else who fills out the surveys regularly should do the same.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
all depends on what you're trying to achieve lol

Im sure they were running a survey recently for what territories to run jump in but i declined to fill it in because its digital only.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh boy, I really liked world trigger. Too bad I had to read it somewhere other than WSJ and not paying Viz the money I so desperately want to give them because region locking.

Because who cares how Europe reads thier funny books right? That £400 that could be spent on all of One Piece? Ah screw that with a vibrating screwdriver!

You could try contacting Viz, to let them know people in your region are interested in getting the service too. Maybe even get some friends to contact them to!
And maybe I can piss in the wind for all that works.

Still, I'd say it's more likely to work than passive-aggressive comments in an anime forum.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
a choice between 0% and 0% but at least I have an outlet for my aggravation is no choice at all.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
There's lots of ways to let them know what you want- email, surveys, letters, and Hisashi Sasaki [yes, the editor from Bakuman] is on twitter, and tweets primarily in English as he's one of the people behind SJ Weekly online.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24840.html He's been saying pretty frequently that they're hoping to branch into other regions. Just keep in mind that it takes time- SJ online took awhile to get off the ground, and it took them awhile to get approval to go simultaneous.

I think this says it all-
"In Japan the distribution of digital magazines has only just begun, and the print magazine business is still quite healthy, so we won't be doing a digital release any time soon. As for foreign markets however, we are actively considering simultaneous digital releases. I can't say exactly where and when right now. We are also considering releasing it in languages other than English, and going beyond English speaking countries. Again, I can't say exactly in which countries and when this will happen. Our dream is to be able to have everyone in the world read Shonen Jump every Monday."

So yeah, email them Anime smile!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to be innocent to assume that this course of action hasn't been taken.

it's really is.

You keep that optimistic view of the world for as long as you can, kid.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I own every single print issue of SJ. However I refuse to buy Alpha since the issues aren't permanent. That's ridiculous to me.
My only regret is now I have to try to find that Slifer card for a reasonable price.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I own every single print issue of SJ. However I refuse to buy Alpha since the issues aren't permanent. That's ridiculous to me.
My only regret is now I have to try to find that Slifer card for a reasonable price.

Err...the issues are permenante now. Been that way since they went out of the alpha phase
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Err...the issues are permenante now. Been that way since they went out of the alpha phase
Well nevermind then. If they had been that way from the start then they would have another customer.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Divineking wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Well nevermind then. If they had been that way from the start then they would have another customer.

But... nothing is stopping you from joining now...? It's so cheap, even if you're reading only one or two series, it's totally worth it.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of digital manga but in this case it's so friggin cheap it's worth it, and I do find it useful to pull out my cel phone and read manga where ever. I'm also hoping that eventually they will just translate all of weekly jump (japan) to english and release it. Sure not everything is good in weekly, but I like both having the choice and discovering what's new/different. I'm trying to support it mainly because I hope this happens. I know it's a pipe dream but it would be the best
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
But... nothing is stopping you from joining now...? It's so cheap, even if you're reading only one or two series, it's totally worth it.

Yes it is cheap, but I don't think anyone is complaining about the price. Some people just prefer physical over digital, myself included. I have every print issue of SJ from 2005 onward, but will never pay even a cent for digital manga because you technically don't own it (like you can't touch it, or put it on your shelf). Thats the problem WeeklySJ is facing now. It will take a while for people to accept the digital age (I sure as hell refuse to accept it lol).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3