• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within on UMD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Please fill me in... what is UMD?
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Kyo wrote:
Please fill me in... what is UMD?

Wikipedia wrote:

Universal Media Disc, a disc format created by Sony for the PlayStation Portable
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
There is no way that anyone could mistake 'FF: The Spirits within'with 'FFVII: Advent Children'. Laughing

It wasn't the best movie in the world but it had some potential, if only they didn't present it as a 'FF' title. Oh, well.

I still think this whole UMD thing is a waste. But that's was my opinion in a previous post. So I'm not going to talk about it here. Razz

I wish they would hurry up and get 'FFVII:AC' released already!
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
I guess Sony is just milking its movie catalog for stuff that stands any chance of appealing to gamers, with a few exceptions (Daddy Day Care? WTF?).
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
UMDs are worthless and have no entertainment value whatsoever. I can't watch a feature-length movie on a screen of that size with speakers of that "quality". Sony should stop spending their money on worthless accessories and just focus on games - maybe then they'd make one that doesn't suck.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know anyone who would want to buy this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Though I like the idea that the psp can play movies from the internet, the ideas of releasing a UMD is pointless. They're just waisting time,money and effort. They should focus on other ways of to utilize the psp's movie playing advantage so that it's more appealing to the customers. Confused
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
There is no way that anyone could mistake 'FF: The Spirits within'with 'FFVII: Advent Children'. Laughing

It wasn't the best movie in the world but it had some potential, if only they didn't present it as a 'FF' title. Oh, well.

I still think this whole UMD thing is a waste. But that's was my opinion in a previous post. So I'm not going to talk about it here. Razz

I wish they would hurry up and get 'FFVII:AC' released already!

Actually, it can be confused as Advent Children, as I work at an Electronics shop, the PC had a date for "Final Fantasy UMD". Customers kept insisting that it is reffering to Advent Children. So it can be confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the Japanese market likes the UMD feature in the PSP? Confused

Oh well. To each his own.
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Chrno2"]I wonder if the Japanese market likes the UMD feature in the PSP? [quote]

The Japanese market also likes the Mini-disc format, which is basically the UMD's. I think they're expensive for what they are.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SakuraPurinsesu"][quote="Chrno2"]I wonder if the Japanese market likes the UMD feature in the PSP?
Quote:

The Japanese market also likes the Mini-disc format, which is basically the UMD's. I think they're expensive for what they are.

So if you pulled a mini-disc disc out of the plastic cassette it's in, could you play it as a UMD?
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="red stranger"][quote="SakuraPurinsesu"]
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder if the Japanese market likes the UMD feature in the PSP?
Quote:

So if you pulled a mini-disc disc out of the plastic cassette it's in, could you play it as a UMD?

No No no, please don't do that. What I meant was that the technology for mini-discs and the technology for the umd's are very similar. Only difference is that the umd can carry ANY type of information, and mini-discs only store audio information. UMD= Universal Media Disc. They're only used for movies right now, but I'd imagine that there will be a umd recorder to store anything on them.
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I guess Sony is just milking its movie catalog for stuff that stands any chance of appealing to gamers, with a few exceptions (Daddy Day Care? WTF?).

I was surprised by how Daddy Day Care reached into the sci-fi geek in me... but Eddie Murphy is a self-professed Trekkie. (Years ago, he wanted a role in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, but never got it.)

I mean, they had a kid speaking gibberish, 'til one of the babysitters in a Trek uniform noted the gibberish was *Klingon*. And there's something priceless about filming a children's puppet show in the backyard with dolls of Spock and Kirk reenacting a soap opera. ^_^

Can you say slash?

I laughed *so* hard then.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
SakuraPurinsesu wrote:

No No no, please don't do that. What I meant was that the technology for mini-discs and the technology for the umd's are very similar. Only difference is that the umd can carry ANY type of information, and mini-discs only store audio information. UMD= Universal Media Disc. They're only used for movies right now, but I'd imagine that there will be a umd recorder to store anything on them.

Sounds interesting. Well, the Japanese always like portable trendy stuff like this. Always wanting to take stuff one step further. But the disc media sounds interesting in utilizing the PSP.

Personally, the disc media sounds like a better deal. I feel that if they wanted to put movies on the system they should have made them downloadable for a fee. Hell, that's where technology is headed right? Hell, we'll be able to watch stuff on cell phones soon. But I find that a better solution than buying a whole separate disc considering that you already have a regular DVD format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1