• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Encouragement of Climb BD to Include Unaired Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
well naked little girls is a proven way to get extra sales
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But obviously with this shower scene the show's creators want to make people 'feel good' in a sexual way rather than a "d'aww, that's so cute" way.

They didn't say who or what was going to be showering. Maybe it'll be Hinata's father. ^^
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
But obviously with this shower scene the show's creators want to make people 'feel good' in a sexual way rather than a "d'aww, that's so cute" way.

They didn't say who or what was going to be showering. Maybe it'll be Hinata's father. ^^

spoiler[If it is like the manga, it will be the girls in the shower. People take showers... and they are naked when they shower. Not sure why this would be a surprise.

If they do an OVA it may be the onsen scene from the manga. ]

In Japan, they are naked in public baths, showers and onsen. With a little tenugui hand towel to cover up just their genitals when they walk. They don't cover their breasts or their butt and it really isn't as big a deal in real life as anime would make you believe. I have never seen a nose bleed because of breasts or butts... ever!

Honestly I don't know why people are surprised. This is Japanese manga and anime. They have shower scenes. They have onsen scenes. Get over it! This is what they draw and animate and if you don't like it I sometimes wonder if people shouldn't read Marvel and watch Disney instead.

They draw the girls as if they are young because of the style of character design but in fact they are in high school aside from the early childhood flashbacks. The manga is seinen, believe it or not.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be an Anime fan if I couldn't handle a shower scene. I have no problem with them in and of themselves. It's how they're used that matters.

This shower scene isn't happening because it's a natural part of the story, it's happening for titillation purposes and to cynically market the home video release. It's reducing a very sweet show down to the level of basic Ecchi trash. That's what I have an issue with.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wouldn't be an Anime fan if I couldn't handle a shower scene. I have no problem with them in and of themselves. It's how they're used that matters.

This shower scene isn't happening because it's a natural part of the story, it's happening for titillation purposes and to cynically market the home video release. It's reducing a very sweet show down to the level of basic Ecchi trash. That's what I have an issue with.

I understand what you are saying.

In the manga, it just happens. Wasn't used to advertise it this way.

In fact, I'm surprised they are marketing it this way as ecchi anime doesn't sell well at the moment with the exception of To Love Ru. The Bakemonogatari franshise is ecchi and sells well but not because of that IMO. Most ecchi stuff bombs in disc sales.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:

Thank you.

hpulley wrote:

If it is as you say, well, then I have no problem with that at all. Just wish it wasn't being used to entice people to buy the Anime. Such blatant and cynical advertising leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

hpulley wrote:
Most ecchi stuff bombs in disc sales.

Eh, I would say that most Ecchi do alright in sales, even with a saturated market. Of course, like most Anime in general, most Ecchi shows are not made for disk sales but to promote the original Manga, Light Novel or game that the show is based off. Therefore it doesn't matter if the show doesn't break even, as long as it increases sales of the source material by a sufficient amount.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
hpulley wrote:

Thank you.

hpulley wrote:

If it is as you say, well, then I have no problem with that at all. Just wish it wasn't being used to entice people to buy the Anime. Such blatant and cynical advertising leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

hpulley wrote:
Most ecchi stuff bombs in disc sales.

Eh, I would say that most Ecchi do alright in sales, even with a saturated market. Of course, like most Anime in general, most Ecchi shows are not made for disk sales but to promote the original Manga, Light Novel or game that the show is based off. Therefore it doesn't matter if the show doesn't break even, as long as it increases sales of the source material by a sufficient amount.

Why add nipples to the BD if it isn't to try and encourage more sales of the BD? Again I understand what you're saying but if they were just ads for the original material then you wouldn't think they'd need to have uncensored versions.

The anime work as an ad for me. Oniai wasn't my favorite but I ran out and bought all the LNs for Nakaimo, H ga Dekinai etc. afterward because I enjoy the stories and the humor. Really.

And Yama no Susume anime made me want to buy the manga, so I did.

spoiler[And if the shower scene is like in the manga, and it probably will as they are learning "Bouldering" though the title given in the article does not match the chapter title in the manga. We'll know if "kabe nimo noborou!" is an episode title around episode 9-10 of the anime or perhaps that one will have a brief shower scene and the extra scene is something else.

In the manga, in "kabe nimo noborou!" "Climb against the wall!" it happens because they practice climbing, "bouldering" on an indoor climbing wall. And they get sweaty. So they take showers, it is a communal shower like most sports facilities and they chat while they shower. They aren't grabbing each other's boobs or talking about each other's boobs or boyfriends, they are talking about climbing. Aoichan wants to become stronger, to stop being afraid of heights and of climbing. Her friends are encouraging her, inside the shower and outside of it.
]

Did they have to show them naked (no details as usual in manga that isn't meant to be ecchi)? No but they're in the shower so... Did they need to show them showering at all? I guess not but why not? They're going to shower after they exercise. Really.

Do mangaka for seinen publications know they should throw in shower and onsen scenes once in a while? Probably. Are they told by their editors? Maybe. It is meant for adult males, not children. They might turn it around, a seinen manga about mountain climbing girls and you didn't expect them to end up in a shower and an onsen once in a while? Why else would a seinen manga about mountain climbing girls be made?

spoiler[This one tries really hard to be about... climbing. And overcoming your fears, and bettering yourself, and friendship. Cute girls doing cute things too, yep.]
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Is the tone of a series not important to you? Yama no Susume has been extremely innocent and pure so far. It's the type of scene that doesn't fit what the show is.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Why add nipples to the BD if it isn't to try and encourage more sales of the BD? Again I understand what you're saying but if they were just ads for the original material then you wouldn't think they'd need to have uncensored versions.

Yeah I think the idea of anime as purely a vehicle for book sales is being overstated lately. It's certainly true that book publishers have gotten into funding late-night anime in a big way, but BD/DVD are still important high-margin products that are advertised heavily during the shows.

Personally I think dtm's projecting his own feelings and taste onto the author/staff when he assumes that approving the notice "contains a shower scene" on the website must be cynical rather than enthusiastic, but it's not like there's any factual way to debate that.

(We can note that the scene was in the manga to begin with, that it's a light-yuri manga about highschool girls running in a men's magazine, that the author formerly worked on eroge and sexy-moe games, and that he has cute nude illustrations on his pixiv account...but in the end, none of that tells us what the author actually thinks about that particular website text for this particular anime.)

Draenor, from what hpulley said it doesn't sound like the scene itself is jarring, but rather the website text specifically pointing out its existence as a selling point is what's raising eyebrows.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
If you actually check the original article you will see that indeed the episode is 壁にも登ろう! kabe nimo noborou! "Climb against the wall!" This is exactly what I spoilered above so if you want to know what happens and how the shower scene comes about, read it.

This makes me think that is as far in the manga as will get animated too. Good news for this is, lots of material for season two... three even.

しろ Shiro tweets a lot. I don't see any mention of the shower scene / シャワーシーン being a major selling point. I could ask him but it might be an odd question. I am used to be ignored so I just might ask...

https://twitter.com/siro700

Some actual mountaineering pictures and video there too!
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
しろ Shiro tweets a lot. I don't see any mention of the shower scene / シャワーシーン being a major selling point. I could ask him but it might be an odd question. I am used to be ignored so I just might ask...

Ah I doubt he'd be in a position to say anything negative in any case. Smile
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
hpulley wrote:

Ah I doubt he'd be in a position to say anything negative in any case. Smile

If I show my support they tweet back thanks. If I ask if there will be a season two, of course they can't tell me, even privately because of course they expect it would be plastered all over the net in a nanosecond Smile

Looking at the chapter titles for the BD, they animated all of volume one of the manga, then it looks like there are three anime only episodes and the bonus episode 13 which is the first chapter of volume 2. So there is lots of room for season two with most of book 2 and all of book 3 (out in March, so says the end of book 2).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Is the tone of a series not important to you? Yama no Susume has been extremely innocent and pure so far. It's the type of scene that doesn't fit what the show is.

Well its tough to set any kind of "tone" for such a short series, but no I wouldn't be against fanservice in it. The character designs are nice enough after all.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
yuruyuri clone + climbing + shower scene x dvd = MILLIONS!
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
This isn't even remotely like YuruYuri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2