• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Captain Harlock Sci-Fi Anime's Remake to Open This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
IkariGendo wrote:
Comic Natalie posted a trailer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6yApBMH2U

I am wondering if the end product will have better CG than 009 Re: Cyborg from the looks of it I would say yes.Also Harutoshi Fukui is writing this?Hell yes this is gonna be awesome!

For one thing it doesn't look like they are cutting the frame rate. Also you can't really compare the two styles seeing as they are going for diffrent looks. 009 Re: Cyborg is trying to look like 2D whereas this is going for a more realistic look. It's not a fair comparison seeing as Harlock obviously has a higher budget. I do like Harlocks style more though Rolling Eyes
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
EXCELLENT! Now all they need to do is do the Gaiking movie as well...
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This looks awesome. I really need to watch a lot more of these older Sci-Fi anime. They dig deep into childhood fantasies that I've had and bring them back to life with their awesomeness!

Also, with an English narrated trailer, does that mean that they've guaranteed an English release? I'd love to see this film in theaters as there's no good sci-fi animated films released in North America.
captokita

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
If this ends up being a fraction of how good the live action Yamato movie was, this will be amazing! I'll certainly check it out.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
I have seen Captain Harlock and look forwe way whard to this remake. By the way Valkyrie Zero Zero One where can I watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Smile [/b]

It's not currently licensed anywhere outside Japan. I'm importing the Japanese Blu-Rays, since they have English subs.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
That looks awesome. I can't believe the budget is so large (30 mill!). They must really be betting big on this film being a success.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For one thing it doesn't look like they are cutting the frame rate. Also you can't really compare the two styles seeing as they are going for diffrent looks. 009 Re: Cyborg is trying to look like 2D whereas this is going for a more realistic look. It's not a fair comparison seeing as Harlock obviously has a higher budget. I do like Harlocks style more though Rolling Eyes

I wasn't comparing their styles just general animation,since all of the reviews for 009 Re: Cyborg are praising the CG in it.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't comparing their styles just general animation,since all of the reviews for 009 Re: Cyborg are praising the CG in it.

They are!? I still wanna see the movie but that style just doesn't sit well with me since they could have just made it proper 2D. I do agree with you though. The animation in general does look better. The character movements don't look as stiff as what i've seen of Re:Cyborg.

I really like that Toei decided to invest in these higher budget CG movies rather than the regular 2D seeing as they would probably be more appealing to western audiences (Mostly to the US and UK) since they don't seem to take non disney 2D movies seriously. It's a nice way to introduce the franchises to them. I look forward to this but i can't wait to see their Saint Seiya movie as well. That should be interesting Very Happy
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They are!? I still wanna see the movie but that style just doesn't sit well with me since they could have just made it proper 2D. I do agree with you though. The animation in general does look better. The character movements don't look as stiff as what i've seen of Re:Cyborg.

Yes they are,I heard that action scenes look great because they take the advantages of being CG film,also celshading is apparently extremely impressive.Nevertheless it seems there is a general consensus that there is a lot of work to be done.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
That looks awesome. I can't believe the budget is so large (30 mill!). They must really be betting big on this film being a success.

HobbitonGuard wrote:
Also, with an English narrated trailer, does that mean that they've guaranteed an English release? I'd love to see this film in theaters as there's no good sci-fi animated films released in North America.

I doubt it'll reach here. As far as Robotech's popularity has diminished over time, Harlock never had a fraction of that. It was only briefly run cut up with Queen Millennia, so I doubt there's any nostalgic factor to begin with among non-anime fans in the US. I definitely expect this to be shown in France though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
^ May I remind you that FUNimation licensed the Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection film.

I'd say the chances are better than you think.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Go on Toei, we need to go back and remember what made anime GREAT!! And go back to making series pursuing the spirit of the great eras.

Nothing like the old classics to refresh our memories.
Nothing like the old classics to flush out the moe, fanservice, and lolicom sludge too. When they start remaking the old Classics, that's a sure sign they've run out of ideas that doesn't include all those.

You haven't seen the Space Battleship Yamato remake then. There is quite abit of fanservice there. Heck there was even Loliness in the older Gundam series'.

I am well aware of the re-boots of older anime, thats why I am very happy with Toei re-boots of lately, plus a few othr franchises that have been re-booted.

However please dont compare nudity or indeed fanservice in older shows or some "loli" to the loli and fanservice of todays anime.

blaizevincent wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Go on Toei, we need to go back and remember what made anime GREAT!! And go back to making series pursuing the spirit of the great eras.

Nothing like the old classics to refresh our memories.
Nothing like the old classics to flush out the moe, fanservice, and lolicom sludge too. When they start remaking the old Classics, that's a sure sign they've run out of ideas that doesn't include all those.

They haven't run out of ideas its more that the 'moe,fanservice,lolicom sludge' sells more. Business is Business. Go where the money is. There is more than enough original stories and great concepts in Manga begging to be adapted but so long as the sludge is massively profitable we can expect those shows to keep being made.

Yep, I agree its likely not an issue of lack of ideas, but that moe, fanservice and loli are losing a little bit of steam, they are no longer at the heights of 2008-2010, but while they are excruciatingly predominant, people is looking a little bit into other series as well. At the very least I hope so, nostalgia or whatever moe and fanservice need to quite down to normal levels.

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ May I remind you that FUNimation licensed the Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection film.

Oh sure it can always be licensed for home video, that's a possibility for most anime out there from any era. But theaters? Not a chance.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt it'll reach here. As far as Robotech's popularity has diminished over time, Harlock never had a fraction of that. It was only briefly run cut up with Queen Millennia, so I doubt there's any nostalgic factor to begin with among non-anime fans in the US. I definitely expect this to be shown in France though.

Then don't push its nostalgia factor. Push it as a new franchise. Science Fiction is starting to get big again in the US. Big bombastic sci-fi animation might be just what the doctor ordered.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Oh sure it can always be licensed for home video, that's a possibility for most anime out there from any era. But theaters? Not a chance.

Ohhhhh!! I didn't realize you were talking about a theatrical release, sorry.

Still, if FUNi happens to get it, there's always a small chance of a limited release for select theaters. Otherwise, I agree. Not a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3