• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist, Eva 2.22, K-ON, Durarara Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! - Didn't expect a good dub, but at least I can finally have it on Blu-Ray! (there will be SE's for this, right?)

Durarara!! - Oh wow......Bloopers before the real thing? Big move, Aniplex.

Evangelion 2.0 - OMGWTFBBQ DAT S*** IS TEH SHIZNIZ!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
jtiskool305 wrote:
Director and creator of Darker than Black is directing this "Blue Exorcist" show...... I'm in!! Smile Now I'm going to go read the 18 chapters that are out so far Very Happy

Same, the moment I saw that staff list it became my most anticipated show (and the cool first pv backed it up nicely).

Anime Remix wrote:
The dub for Durarara!! was good (already got Part 1 DVD). The bloopers was extremely funny (they should of added the bloopers to DVD!) Laughing

Aura Ichadora wrote:
And wow, love the bloopers for Durarara!!. It sucks that it seems like these aren't on the DVDs - it looks like Bandai did the same thing they did with the bloopers for the Eureka Seven movie and showed them in an exclusive way (at the theater or online) instead of making them an extra on the DVD release. Ah well.

The dub's been fantastic so far and they totally should have put these and any bloopers they recorded on the disc, a bunch of these were really good ones.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The K-ON! voices seemed a little "meh" to me... maybe it's just because I'm so used to the Japanese vocals. Also, I think it'll really break up the flow when they start singing in Japanese and suddenly their voices are totally different. But hey, I'll give them credit for at least making an effort -- there are a lot of people out there who probably wouldn't watch without a dub.

I still need to finish DRRR!! so I'm not going to watch that trailer just yet. And...

SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Evangelion 2.0 - OMGWTFBBQ DAT S*** IS TEH SHIZNIZ!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So uh... wow.

I mean, I dislike dubs in general, but... that pretty much sounded like every fan-dub ever, which isn't really a good sign!

And what ever happened to the LEs they announced? They said there were going to be CDs packaged with them, which would have made buying the singles worth it... though I do like that they're knocking a good $10 off the price if you pre-order...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
As for Eva 2.22, well, I can't watch the trailer because of restriction. Too bad Funi, I've already seen the movie, in HD months ago.
But have you seen it in 1080p on a 60" with a sweet sound system? Wink

Just saw Eva 2.0 in the theater. Funny thing is, during the 15-minute projector problems, as the screen was turning plain black to pink to green, the Blu-Ray logo also popped up. Guess Funi didn't pony up for a proper (digital) film print? Laughing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Finely they put a date on K-On! now all bandai needs to do it get season 2
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll just be getting the regular Eva 2.0 DVD. Wish I had a Blueray Player.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
=_=

Thanks for answering my question you guys... Big kudos indeed...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Too...short...a...teaser!! I've been a very good fangirl and totally avoided fansubs on Eva 2.22, and this teaser is plain torture, with hints of major changes and everything.

As for DRRR!!, I couldn't care less about the dub, but I am debating whether to buy the first half or not. I liked the first half a lot, the second not as much, so should I buy just part 1?? Or do I need to continue to put aside all lesser purchases and keep saving up money for Revolutionary Girl Utena? I wish I had a better job and more money! Crying or Very sad
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
As for DRRR!!, I couldn't care less about the dub, but I am debating whether to buy the first half or not. I liked the first half a lot, the second not as much, so should I buy just part 1?? Or do I need to continue to put aside all lesser purchases and keep saving up money for Revolutionary Girl Utena? I wish I had a better job and more money! Crying or Very sad
Just to let you know, it's not even the 1st half of the series. I've never seen Durarara!! and I don't have much interest in it, even though Baccano! became one of my favorite animes when I picked it up last year.

I'd definitely go with Utena on this one. I've gotta start saving up for that one too--part of the reason I've started a job hunt recently.

enurtsol wrote:
Just saw Eva 2.0 in the theater. Funny thing is, during the 15-minute projector problems, as the screen was turning plain black to pink to green, the Blu-Ray logo also popped up. Guess Funi didn't pony up for a proper (digital) film print? Laughing
Lolz, nice one, FUNi. Laughing

And honestly, I've been really excited to hurry up and delve into the world of Neon Genesis Evangelion for months. I think I'm actually gonna start with the Rebuilds, and then go back and buy the original series and those movies whenever the Rebuilds are finished.

I've still got go HD and get 1.11+pre-order 2.22, but I've got time.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
That's only the first of 4 "teasers" (10 second random clips to that same weird chanting background sound) for Eva 2.22.

FUNi has all four up on Youtube, here
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen more than a couple eps of Durarara but seeing the little dub blooper reel and the cast list makes me want to check out the dvds (I'm shocked by that myself) because I'm sure those guys are going to do a great job xD
immortalrite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
For the LAST time: stop trying to emulate cutesy Japanese voices. You can NOT pull it off. It can not, and must not be done in English.

I believe it depends on the context and characters in question. As a general rule, Japanese voice actresses tend to have higher-pitched voices, with this is being only accentuated in these "moe-themed" shows, and so I personally have a great degree of appreciation for English dubs (particularly Kanon and School Rumble) which manage to make the girls sound like genuine high-schoolers and not 12-year-olds (the Clannad dub actually took this too far as made several girls sound way too old). At the same time, just as in real life, one still finds the occasional 16-17 year old girl with a rather high-pitched voice, and I think well-produced dubs manage to emulate this, notably with Monica Rial's Misuzu in Air or Carrie Savage's Ichigo in School Rumble.

Case in point, as far as I could tell from the K-ON trailer, the only "cutesy" sounding character in the principal cast was Yui, who is voiced by Stephanie Sheh apparently using an almost identical pitch as her rendition of Mikuru Asahina, which I believe was perfect for the character.

Also, would I be correct in assuming that this is Bandai's first foray into blu-ray releases for TV series (as opposed to simply OVA's and movies)? If the answer is "yes," hopefully if this K-ON release does well on BD we can perhaps expect to see some of their other HD shows out on the same format some time in the future (I'm looking particularly at Code Geass and Gundam 00).
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Think I'm going to pick up my first BD anime in the form of Eva 2.22 during this weeks Funi sale at Rightstuf. Picked up a PS3 recently, so this should be good to find out if I need a stand-alone or not.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
went to watch EVA 2.0 last night at my nearest theater (Downtown LA) just cause I think its great they also showed 1.0 even thou I have the blu ray.

Can't wait for 3.0....

K-on english voices were so-so i think Yui's was the only one I couldn't handle but I made myself feel better with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3e2vmrANBM

DRRR!! I wish the sets were 2 instead of 3, for 40ish a pop 120 for the series is kinda ehhhh, but i'm hoping for the special episode, dubs I'll watch but just having the original voices is good enough for me and the bloopers are awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3