• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Ishinomori's Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Is it because he was born this week, on January 25th, 1938? Or perhaps it's because he also died this week, on the 28th of January in 1998? No, that... wait a minute. Was this guy really only 58 when he died? Good lord, that's dreadful.

Not to fixate on a single point int he article or anything, but no, he was 60 when he died if those dates you gave are right. 60 and 3 days.

Now to read the rest. Smile
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
later the rep came with bad news

Well, I guess that serves as an explanation, of sorts. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe there are music rights issues - the show was underwritten by Sony's avex music label, and did feature a few songs from 'hot' artists as OP/ED pieces.

DavidShallcross wrote:
There's even a museum dedicated to Ishinomori's work. in the town of Ishinomaki, not far from Sendai. The route from the train station to the museum is scattered with brightly colored sculptures of Ishinomori characters.

...and this is going on the list for my next Japan trip, since I've already hit the Tezuka museum.

Lord Geo wrote:
Also, Mike, you bring up how Ishinomori kept topping himself with each Super Sentai show, but the man himself was only involved with the first two shows, Goranger and JAKQ. After JAQK's low ratings, Ishinomori left the series, but the production company kept his name as "original creator" as a sign of respect. As for Kamen Rider I think he was involved with each of them all the way up through the 90s movies.

Wow, I had no idea. It was just easy to assume that he was involved in later shows since they so obviously followed his original model. I guess later shows are like how later Gundam series credit Yoshiyuki Tomino, even though he's not involved. Either way, Ishinomori got the magic started!

vermilionone wrote:
In addition to children's entertainment, Ishinomori also did more adult stuff. He illustrated for Playboy. Unfortunately at this point it's simply hearsay, but another major work of Ishinomori's which has far less recognition among fans is HOTEL, whose adaptions is considered a seminal work in modern japanese "Dorama".

I wonder if this has an entry in Jonathan Clements' Dorama Encyclopedia? I'll give it a look. And I'd love to see those Playboy illos, though I'd have no idea where to look.

Quote:
It's also worth noting that Cyborg 009 mimics X-Men, an American contemporary, in that it used a motif of catch-all "outsiders" to subtly criticize cultural prejudices. From a fat, buffoonish Chinese man to a minstrel-style escaped slave, each character is introduced as a simplistic stereotype, and Ishinomori strives, in turn, to deconstruct the stereotypes and get the audience to see beyond the character's looks and recognize their humanity.

This is a good point, though if you ask me Ishinomori struggled to give Francoise a role beyond "designated baby holder."

Quote:
Kikaida's fanbase is mostly Hawaiian because the show wasn't popular in Japan. It was cancelled partway through the run

Really? The show and its sequel ran for more than 80 episodes combined, and the character stuff never felt tacked on to me (though it is corny as all hell). You got a source on this one?

The immense popularity of Kikaida in Hawaii is fascinating to me. A few years ago, a friend that my wife and I know via our soccer connections wanted to create a matchday banner in tribute to Brian Ching, one of the US national team's stalwarts and the team's only Hawaiian. He wanted something distinctly Hawaiian; my wife paints these banners for fun, and ended up coming up with this:

GATSU wrote:

Surprised you didn't bring up Harmageddon though. Unlike Genma Wars, it doesn't suck.

Debatable. Anyway, it was always my impression that the film didn't use anything from Ishinomori's manga, but rather the novels that Kazumasa Hirai wrote before collaborating on the comics. The ANNcyclopedia disagrees with me, though.

DerekTheRed wrote:
Not to fixate on a single point int he article or anything, but no, he was 60 when he died if those dates you gave are right. 60 and 3 days.

I was just testing you!! :oops:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
kamiikazeheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved Ishinomori! I consider the Gilgamesh anime one of my favorites. I have 009-1 on order and the Skullman anime in my backlog. I was also a big fan of Kikaider back in the day. I'd love to see the liveaction sentai adaptation of that one.

And I REALLY wish that the Cyborg 009 anime had finished being released. I have the 2 disc uncut DVD on order. If they would have stuck with the two disc, 7-8 episodes per collection then they could have been done with it in say about 6 or 7 volumes. We need to petition Sony! I'm also kicking myself for never picking up the manga. :[

ohh and yes I can not wait for the Go Nagai article! I LOVE the Devil Lady anime series.

Last edited by kamiikazeheart on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
davemerrill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Great article on a manga legend!! Requisite Dave nitpick: Ishinomori's first American manga release was his "Japan, Inc." published (here) in 1988 - beats the Zelda thing by a couple of years. By a strange coincidence I was reading it a few weeks ago and found myself wanting a post-Bubble sequel. Not gonna happen, sadly.

Keep 'em coming, Mike!
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, it gets me so sad that Cyborg 009 will never see its DVD release here in the US:(

Does tokyopop still hold the license for Cyborg 009? because I want someone else to save it from Limbo and treat it with the respect it deserves.

The old Kamen Rider also has a manga series, right?

Great article Mike, I enjoyed reading this and can't wait for Go Nagai's!!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this piece on Ishinomori; the more you learn about him, the more you realize just how influential he was in bringing about anime and manga as we know them today. I only got to see the Kikaider anime series last year, but I immediately fell in love with it, enough so to track down the out-of-print Bandai singles. I'd classify it as one of those little buried gems of a series that so often manage to slip under the radar; it does a good job at tackling that age-old question of what truly defines humanity. (It doesn't hurt that it was directed by Tensai Okamura, who's just awesome.) Unfortunately, I wasn't nearly so impressed with the OVA sequel, Kikaider-01. It replaced most of the deliberate pacing and character development of the series with random action scenes, and unlike the series, I felt like it was specifically targeted towards people already familiar with the franchise, since it didn't do much in the way of exposition. I do have the Kikaider vs. Inazuman OVA lying around, but I haven't managed to watch it yet.

(I also think I managed to see an episode or two of Cyborg-009 on Toonami back in the day. I'll have to track that down at some point, though it's unfortunate that it never saw a full DVD release.)

More importantly than any of that, though, along with every other person who grew up during the 90s, I have Ishinomori to thank for the unbridled cheesy awesomeness that was the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Man, that was a big part of my childhood. Very Happy
vermilionone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

I wonder if this has an entry in Jonathan Clements' Dorama Encyclopedia? I'll give it a look. And I'd love to see those Playboy illos, though I'd have no idea where to look.

That is intriguing. I'm disappointed that I haven't kept a good record of my sources, I almost want to attribute a lot of what I've said to August Ragone but I could be wrong.

Quote:

This is a good point, though if you ask me Ishinomori struggled to give Francoise a role beyond "designated baby holder."

I agree that Francoise is almost disconcertingly bland compared to the treatment of other characters, I've never been able to figure that one out.

Quote:

Really? The show and its sequel ran for more than 80 episodes combined, and the character stuff never felt tacked on to me (though it is corny as all hell). You got a source on this one?

It's probably worth looking into, sadly I've long, long since lost my primary/secondary sources on information and I usually hold my tongue because of it, but I'm passionate about Ishinomori. I'm going to poke around because I think it's an important part of the character's history.
skchai1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Not just manga, anime, tokusatsu, and drama, even. In his "spare time", he wrote Manga: Nihon Keizai Nyuumon (Manga: Introduction to the Japanese Economy), which was a huge best-seller towards the end of the bubble era and I believe got licensed by erhmm . . . Stanford University Press. Anyway, Peter Duus did the translation of the cynically amusing but suprisingly accurate and even prescient text.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2