• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai scores Naruto video game license

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I saw one of the Naruto fighting games at Ushicon a few years back, it looked very awesome. I look forward to it coming stateside.

Now all I need is a console. XP
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, that settles it. With Sony holding the Naruto game license, we'll never see the two excellent Gamecube fighting games. And I was so hopeful once the anime license was announced...
MephistoSan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Well, that settles it. With Sony holding the Naruto game license, we'll never see the two excellent Gamecube fighting games. And I was so hopeful once the anime license was announced...

You mean 3 gamecube games, although you really only need the 3rd one, because It's just an enhanced version of the other 2, with more characters.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the PS2 games? Only the Nintendo games are any good (Gekitaisen for the GC, Naruto RPG and the second sidescroller for the GBA).
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
To clarify: Sony doesn't actually hold the video game license; Bandai does, but it sounds like they will create games for Playstation and PSP.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, June 21, 2005 – VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), one of the entertainment industry's most innovative and comprehensive manga and animation licensing and publishing companies, today announced a master licensing agreement with Bandai America for video games on Sony-based platforms and trading card games for VIZ Media’s new hit series, Shonen Jump’s NARUTO.

It doesn't sound exclusive, so if Viz wanted to get a Naruto game on Gamecube, they probably could.
VOX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Who cares about the PS2 games? Only the Nintendo games are any good (Gekitaisen for the GC, Naruto RPG and the second sidescroller for the GBA).

Whatever man. The PS2 games are good. I guess it just depends on your preference of fighting game styles though. I know people who consider the GC ones crap. Personally I like them both but I hate those GBA ones.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, technically speaking, weren't the games originally on PS2 in Japan? I don't think bandai would take the time to make versions for other consoles if it hadn't been done in Japan. =\
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

naw. The Ps2 games are better, and far more unique in gameplay. Much more reliance on tact and stratedgy and less on blind luck and combo attacks. Though the GC games are fantastic for parties, the Ps2 game is a far better.
VOX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Well, technically speaking, weren't the games originally on PS2 in Japan? I don't think bandai would take the time to make versions for other consoles if it hadn't been done in Japan. =\

The wording of this anouncement is really confusing. They make it sound like they are only going to create new games for the U.S. which would be ridiculously retarded considering the quality of the games they already have made. All they need to do is translate them and bring them over and they can have them out really quickly on at least 3 consoles (4 if you count that new DS one). They could have that stuff out over here by Christmas which wouldn't be too far after the premier on Toonami.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought the same thing at first. But then there's this:

Quote:
“We are so excited to be working with Bandai America on NARUTO, they have a very deep understanding of the property and have been key partners in NARUTO’s enormous success in Japan. We are confident that Bandai will develop video games and trading card games that provide a superior game experience for NARUTO’s demanding audience,” said Cynthia Money, vice president of consumer products for VIZ Media.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope one of three things:
That Namco's recent merger with Bandai means that Namco's actually the one developing the games
They bring over some of the Japanese games
They make a game for the Xbox or Xbox 360, Japanese markets be damned. Hey a guy can dream, right? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spider-moose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
That Namco's recent merger with Bandai means that Namco's actually the one developing the games
They make a game for the Xbox or Xbox 360, Japanese markets be damned. Hey a guy can dream, right? Cool

thats for bandai Japan tho

different branches of the same company

Bandai USA is run differently, if it says Bandai for over here, that means Bandai USA will be making the games for it

they are all still merged, but this deal was probably made before the merger has well, they just announced it now
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Video games..Great!

But just what we need....more redundant card games, who plays that crap anyway?
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:
Video games..Great!

But just what we need....more redundant card games, who plays that crap anyway?

me.

though its usually 2 starters (for me and friend who also loves this stuff), and 10 packs. If we like it, we buy more. But that rarely happens.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

Well to be fair, Bandai only has the rights to the Sony console versions of Naruto which would be the Narultimate Hero games and the upcoming non-celshaded Action/RPG.

The Naruto games on Nintendo consoles are in care of Tomy who at this point doesn't have a publisher in Western territory and it'll be some long legally complicated publishing thing for Bandai to go through for bringing the Tomy developed Naruto games into the states...though it'd be nice to try.

ferrarimanf355 wrote:
They make a game for the Xbox or Xbox 360, Japanese markets be damned. Hey a guy can dream, right?

On the basis of Soul Calibur and Tekken? No thanks, while I have no qualms against Soul Calibur, I'd rather not Naruto play like Tekken. Look just because Namco has experience making fighting games doesn't mean that it would be great if they worked a franchise that children are most likely to play. Naruto games should be simple to pick up but take a long time to master and the Tekken/Soul Calibur engines are too intimidating for that audience. I can't speak up for CyberConnect2 in Narultimate Hero, but Eighting's experience with fighters seems to be a shoe-in for Gekitou Ninja Taisen...having played both because of a close friend of mine.

Secondly, I'd like to note that despite the XBox360's stronger appeal to the Japanese market, developers are more likely to cater to the PS3 because of the Sony name unfortunately. XBox360 seems to aim at an older than expected audience for Naruto and the current XBox hasn't sold enough units to accomodate a decent Naruto game from either party.

Hi no Neko wrote:
Cool. I saw one of the Naruto fighting games at Ushicon a few years back, it looked very awesome. I look forward to it coming stateside.

Now all I need is a console. XP

Depends on which game it was, if it featured 4 Players (though 2 is possible, usually 4 players at a con) had anime cel-shading and someone was being cheap with Akamaru then it was most likely Gekitou Ninja Taisen EXCLUSIVELY on Nintendo GameCube, published by the toy company TOMY and developed by Eighting, known for countless vertical arcade shooters and the Bloody Roar games.

If the game you saw had 2 players, fighting on a 2 1/2-D plane (like Smash Bros), manga cel-shading and special moves that involving serious button tapping (or stick rotation) then it was Narultimate Hero EXCLUSIVELY for the PlayStation 2, published by the even bigger toy company BANDAI and developed by CyberConnect2 known for the .hack games.

I played both games, though the GameCube game was more attractive because the character's moves were varied and your Jutsu moves had a 100% hit rate if they connected in contrast to the PS2 game where your opponent can defend against your moves before they become continuous. On the other hand, the PS2 game had a more varied and creative set of characters to be unlocked (ANBU Kakashi, Hot-Blooded Hinata, Might Suit [Green Beast] Naruto) which the GameCube game was lacking...and honestly I think Akamaru, Karasu and Izumi where wasted space.

Speaking of characters, it's a give or take on who you'd want to play as or which fighting system is more suited to you, and if you're in it for the characters that could be the deciding factor to buy the game. If you want Anko, Iruka, the ability to control Lee and Gai as they unlock their gates and Akamaru then get the 3rd GameCube game, if you want Kisame, Shizune, ANBU Kakashi, Dotoh (what are the odds...)and Kabuto then get the PS2 game...You only care about Itachi? He's in both games. It's just a matter of making adjustments over one fighting system and getting better at it.

I just hope Tomy is working on a Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 but not for the GameCube...the Nintendo Revolution, so that they can fit more characters on the disc, like the Sound 4, Kimimaro, popular Leaf Jounin and Special Jounin...except Ebisu and some of the characters from the PS2 game but like Ferrariman said, a guy can dream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2