• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bravo for Brevity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
just when you think Girls bravo can't get anyworse they somehow manged with the second season.

Otakus and lonely guys everywhere loves these type of shows. They need to keep their pantsu-fetest level high with daily does of echii show.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted to check out Gunslinger Girl for some time now. Thirteen episodes is something I can handle. It's always good to read a few positive reviews y'know.

darkhunter wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
just when you think Girls bravo can't get anyworse they somehow manged with the second season.

Otakus and lonely guys everywhere loves these type of shows. They need to keep their pantsu-fetest level high with daily does of echii show.
-_-;;
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Pardon the OT-ness, but I get a tad annoyed when people assert or reconfirm their love for fanservice when discussing shows that regarded as thought-provoking or deep. Just doesn't seem necessary to me.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

I wouldn't mind if suddenly it were 1987 and there was a New New Kimagure Orange Road or something Very Happy but who am I kidding, no one likes old crap anymore. Sure, Kyosuke was a Milquetoast ass like the rest of 'em, but he only had two girls to pick from, and he tried soooo damn hard. *emo tear*

Hey, I cut my teeth on that old crap. Smile
I'd take KOR any day over any of the "modern" harem genre. I may like some crappy stuff now and then, but KOR is what really brought me into the fold of fandom. It'll always hold a special place in my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
LOL

"when a handful of people shyly sidled up to me later and admitted that they had purposely avoided me the whole convention because they thought I was intimidating, and that I would tear them up."

then goes on saying stuff like...
"Tastes like: Galveston, TX tap water. For something that’s so damned common and boring to begin with, it sure tastes like shit."

you said "shit" online!!

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!??!??!?!

I liked Girls Bravo for some reason....probably because of the fanservices...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Sopko wrote:
Heh. Yeah, Kyosuke at least pursued the girls and tried to make a decision. But when you're pursuing a woman of the calibur of Madoka Ayukawa, can you really help it?

That's another thing the shounen rom-com needs back. A strong-willed, complex female lead like Ayukawa. How many more Chiis, Miharus and Rens will we have to sit through? Rolling Eyes
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
RoodyPooUS wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

I think my eyes would bleed if I tried to watch any more of that. It is funny how they had already planned a second season as they were producing the first, I guess no alarm bells rang off in any executive's heads.

to be fair I did like the first season of girls bravo but the second season took the humor into borderline Hentai zone at that point why bother having a pretext of a plot and just make it into a hentai already.

ie ep1's of season 2's spoiler[ body swapping and the tentacles ]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
Pardon the OT-ness, but I get a tad annoyed when people assert or reconfirm their love for fanservice when discussing shows that regarded as thought-provoking or deep. Just doesn't seem necessary to me.
Like wise I get annoyed when a show that is regarded as thought provoking, or deep has to lower itself into showing fanservice in the first place. Now that's really unnecessary. Wink I like AIC as they have in the past made some really good series, Like Megazone 23, El Hazard, Ah My Goddess, Bubblegum Crisis, and their real jewel in their crown Tenchi Muyo OVA's But sometimes they can also drop some real stinkers. Girl's Bravo is a prime example of what that article in Business Week was on about when they wrote about studios wasting their potential. Rolling Eyes
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
RoodyPooUS wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

I think my eyes would bleed if I tried to watch any more of that. It is funny how they had already planned a second season as they were producing the first, I guess no alarm bells rang off in any executive's heads.

to be fair I did like the first season of girls bravo but the second season took the humor into borderline Hentai zone at that point why bother having a pretext of a plot and just make it into a hentai already.

Yeah, I remember that one. That's as borderline as they make it though. Besides, Fukuyama seems to have started developing a little more depth and personality, which makes watching the series a little bit more interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Our esteemed and personable reviewer wrote:
Anyway, I love meeting people at conventions, and believe me when I say this, it truly lights up my whole weekend when someone approaches me and tells me they read my column.

Imagine my surprise then, when a handful of people shyly sidled up to me later and admitted that they had purposely avoided me the whole convention because they thought I was intimidating, and that I would tear them up.

My excuse was that I didn't realize who you were in while you were in the Bandai Katsucon Panel. (I think you were cosplaying Ling Xiayou that day, come to think of it.) Plus, I was busy getting free w00t at the end, so I was a wee bit distracted.

However, now that I kinda know what you look like from the front AND back, I might be able to spot you (especially if I look at your laptop.) if you ever come to Tekkoshocon (if Tekkoshocon ever gets industry guests.)
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I definately saw you there. Of course, it's always hard to put names to faces when you don't know what they look like in the first place<G> Not to mention I've only recently gotten more into the forums.

Oh, and Bamboo, you are a very, very nice person<G>
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
My venerable and much beloved reader wrote:

My excuse was that I didn't realize who you were in while you were in the Bandai Katsucon Panel. (I think you were cosplaying Ling Xiayou that day, come to think of it.) Plus, I was busy getting free w00t at the end, so I was a wee bit distracted.

Hmm... that may not have me then. I had on an EGL-type dress at the Bandai panel, all black with red ribbons in my hair. Maybe there's some mysterious Asian girl masquerading as me. Mad

See, haha, all of these comments raise a good point. I could've sworn I'd posted my picture before somewhere, but I guess I didn't. So naturally, people wouldn't know what I look like. ;p Not to mention I've showed up to cons late twice in a row (and missed the ANN panel twice in a row now). GO GO BAMBOO!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought you were in the front row, left side (the one without the projector in front of it), your compy was set to ANN (I thought) and you were wearing pigtails. At least, that was what I thought was presented to be you. For some reason, I remembered some sort of neon colors, too, so my mind jumped to Ling. Of course, that idea only came up within these last few days.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
RoodyPooUS wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

Yeah, I remember that one. That's as borderline as they make it though. Besides, Fukuyama seems to have started developing a little more depth and personality, which makes watching the series a little bit more interesting.

There must only be a handful of people who like Girls Bravo (myself included). I saw this and DearS on fansubs, and GB is easily better. It's a very fun series that's light-hearted and has charm. Very far from being a terrible show. If you want a bad Geneon release, try Tokyo Underground.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
If you want a bad Geneon release, try Tokyo Underground.

I'll give you one worse than that: Ikki Tousen. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3