• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bravo for Brevity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
If you want a bad Geneon release, try Tokyo Underground.

I'll give you one worse than that: Ikki Tousen. Wink

hehe; actually haven't seen it yet, so I cant personally say; but from the stories I hear it's pretty bad.
Rion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Im surprised that Giligamesh made the rental section. I just was the first volume and i thought it was very well done. Well written an the charcter design is very unique....

Good review though...
Its one to have in your collection for sure on my watch....

And Ikki Tousen is fan servise fun.... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

That's another thing the shounen rom-com needs back. A strong-willed, complex female lead like Ayukawa. How many more Chiis, Miharus and Rens will we have to sit through? Rolling Eyes

I think "they" are afraid of creating female characters in these shows that the nerds watching (like me) don't feel they would have a chance with.

I mean, Chi would have liked who ever found her, thus everyone watching goes "ooo, maybe I'll find some cute low self-esteem cute girl of my very own..." Girls Bravo's got the same thing going on from what I remember.

And yes, it blows. Ayukawa like characters are awsome. I even made a music video about the charater type, though I didn't get a chance to include her. (No footage, at the time.)

Cut from the same cloth is Kyoko from Masion Ikkoku, which just like a slightly better KOR. (Though I love both) Someone needed to bring her up...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the first thing the genre needs are girls with grey matter, period. We don't need people like Chii and Ren where if you shone a light in one ear, you could see it come out the other. Yes, being in a more powerful position thab your partner (for the most part) is all well and good, but where's the fun in it if she can't fight back?
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:

Oh come on, its so bad its good fun.
Circle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tastes like: Galveston, TX tap water. For something that’s so damned common and boring to begin with, it sure tastes like shit.

Genius! LOL

Gunslinger Girl's pretty awesome, I hope they do a season 2.

My thoughts about the first 5 eps of Tenchi OAV3:spoiler[I don't find it funny. The pacing is so much slower than the previous OAVs too. And humanoid Ryo-Ohki is annoying. :p]
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Circle wrote:
Quote:
Tastes like: Galveston, TX tap water. For something that’s so damned common and boring to begin with, it sure tastes like shit.

Genius! LOL

Yeah, I've drunk (drank? eh, who cares...) that stuff and it's pretty damn putrid. The first time I had Minneapolis tap water I would have sworn the whole city's water supply came from an Aquafina bottle by comparison. Yet another reason I'm never ever moving back to Texas!
Great column as always, Bamboo. I have to admit it was a little jarring to finally realize once and for all that you're not actually Chise. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Your outfit took a little of the edge off the shock, though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
biliano wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:

Oh come on, its so bad its good fun.

I know. Wink I watched the whole series just for the "guilty pleasure" it presented. Smile

Anyway, Bamboo, you made a very cute and lovely Chise. Thank you for providing us with one of your cosplay pics. Cool You didn't look intimidating at all; you looked very nice. Very Happy

I wasn't sure about Gilgamesh, but since a couple of people recommend it, I'll give it a rental and see if it's up my alley. Newtype USA said that Gilgamesh will appeal those that like Texhnolyze and Witch Hunter Robin, but since their reviews are as good as Galveston (TX) tap water (apperently Confused ), I'll be my own judge. Cool
astra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Bahamut God"]
Patachu wrote:

I mean, Chi would have liked who ever found her, thus everyone watching goes "ooo, maybe I'll find some cute low self-esteem cute girl of my very own..."

This is what really annoys me. Well, to tell the truth, also watching some poor nerd getting beat up by a hot yet ultimate bitch from hell girl also annoys me. In both cases, low self esteem girl and abused boy need to stand up for themselves! Get a backbone kids!
Also, I wonder, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Was ultimate bitch girl a backlash against low self esteem girl or vice versa? Personally, I think its the former because it seems the average Japanese girl has a reputation for being submissive, but who knows. Why can't these shows just have a compromise between the two and thus create characters who are a bit more human? (or alien, heh. For the record, I loved the two Tenchi ovas. The third one just has way too many flashbacks and with no resolution involved, its all kind of pointless.)
chucklyfun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Have any of these people seen the end of Gilgamesh? I liked a lot of the show, but the last few episodes were a real let-down plot wise.(I saw fansubs) Go ahead and rent it, but before you buy it, read some reviews of the last disc.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey Bamboo. Thanks for turning me on to Saikano. I just watched the whole series thisweekend. Oh My God! I can't wait to see it again and again.

So that's where your avatar comes from. Very cool!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
I actually preferred Shin Fist to Baki. Unlike the original arc of Baki, which focused on more realistic no-holds barred tournament fighting but with an emphasis on strategy, the prequel to Baki features a whiny protagonist who wins through sheer dumb luck. (Although I'm not sure if Itagaki was inspired by Phantom Menace.)

Sake: Actually, other than a few nods to the original, you can enjoy New Fist on its own. As for Baki, I'm guessing you didn't check out the manga when it was in Raijin.

kusanagi: I'm kind of interested in Gilgamesh, cus of the Ishinomori factor, but then I'm worried it's just a better-looking variation of Genma Wars...(Although I actually liked what I saw of Genma Wars, but it's kind of tough to admit that and be taken seriously...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3