• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Lists Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing- for 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I understand those thoughts and I've got no problem with them leaving plenty of stuff to imagination and interpretation but I felt what things they did put into neat boxes with a bow didn't make much sense and there were a few major parts that it would have been nice if they made some effort to wrap-up.

From my experience the anime that aren't based on existing manga or novel usually show that fact toward the end.

agila61 wrote:
toyNN wrote:
Loved Last Exile up until the final eps - they couldn't quite bring all of the interesting storylines to a reasonable conclusion
Yes, because life always wraps events up in neat boxes with nicely tied bows.

I liked the ending, but then I've been reading SF a lot longer than I've been watching anime, so I liked that it did not hit the viewer over the head to explain everything that was going on.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I liked most of the original series, especially the mecha designs. (What's not to like about watching giant airships with big guns go at it line-of-battle style?) On the other hand, the ending was horrible mess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
Ending is something anime and J-RPGs tend to mess up a lot. Laughing
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Horrible news. Last Exile was fantastic. That is also the reason why we don't need more.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
I have the feeling that they spent 10 times as much on that promotional art than they'll with the actual thing.

I'm not a big fan of Last Exile, and if I recall correctly, the story didn't need a follow up. To sum it up, I'd rather have a Trinity Blood sequel.
Sweet_Mercury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
High hopes! Very Happy

Low expectations. Crying or Very sad

I really wonder what they will do with the story, though. I don't care for them making it in 3D, hopefully they won't lean on the the 3D gimmick in lieu everything else that could make this good.

I'm kinda hoping for a prequel, or at least something which delves a little deeper into the mythology of the world and the situation in the first series arose.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I liked most of the original series, especially the mecha designs. (What's not to like about watching giant airships with big guns go at it line-of-battle style?) On the other hand, the ending was horrible mess.
The ending was when spoiler[someone with the DNA of one of the original captains gave the right passwords and restarted up the weather control system in the colony ship, which the descendents of the original crew had shut off so that they could play god over the colonists] - pretty traditional ending to one of these kinds of stories, just with a lot more visual excitement than when you read it in a novel.

The politics won't go away, they'll just change, and the fight by spoiler[the descendents of the colonists to wrest control from the descendents of the flight crew] is obviously just finished with phase one.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Am I the only one who didn't think that Last Exile's ending was bad? Sure, they needed to better explain some things (the DVD inserts definitely helped flesh out a few things that they really should have put in the show itself), but I thought that it was a good ending nonetheless. I still have no idea what you'd do with a sequel, if this new series is indeed a sequel rather than a prequel or side story or whatnot, but I did think that the ending of Last Exile was good. They just needed to put some of the info about spoiler[the colony ship and Prester] in the show itself rather than just in the DVD inserts.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
LOL. Am I the only one who didn't think that Last Exile's ending was bad? Sure, they needed to better explain some things (the DVD inserts definitely helped flesh out a few things that they really should have put in the show itself), but I thought that it was a good ending nonetheless. I still have no idea what you'd do with a sequel, if this new series is indeed a sequel rather than a prequel or side story or whatnot, but I did think that the ending of Last Exile was good. They just needed to put some of the info about spoiler[the colony ship and Prester] in the show itself rather than just in the DVD inserts.

It's been years since I watched the show, but I remember very clearly at the end thinking that an extra half-dozen episodes would've gone a long way story-wise, since in general the last quarter or so felt too compressed.

That's not to say the conclusion wasn't at least partially successful. God knows I've seen plenty of other shows that offer way less--I mean, what kind of anime fan would I be if Last Exile was the worst ending I'd had the privilege of seeing? Laughing
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
LOL. Am I the only one who didn't think that Last Exile's ending was bad?

No, you're not. People these days just complain if everything isn't spoonfed to them. If an ending is even slightly ambiguous, they refuse to use their imagination and yell stuff like "bad writing".
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile was one of the anime series in recent years.. er.. last decade.. that I really enjoyed. It stands out for me, yet maybe it never really seemed to be that big of a hit? Of course it also helped kick start my love and collection of Range Murata.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I do have to cringe at the 3D bit though. I truly hope that 3D is a fad that dies soon. I hate 3D and it would not hurt my feelings at all if no more movies were ever made in 3D. So, seeing that they want to do this in 3D is not good news.

Well... Yeah... but it still sounds like an interesting idea to me. It's all in the application.

Top Gun wrote:
Why do I feel like stereoscopic 3D will make Gonzo's trademark horribly-blended CGI stick out even more like a sore thumb? Razz

So you're hoping they render the characters too? *shudder* I would much rather a full rendering of the outsides and only adding a slight touch of depth to the interior shots.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
This could be good, but they sure chose some ugly CGI for the poster. Reminds me of nineties videogame graphics.

Agreed. It was the sort of thing that pretty much killed the first Last Exile for me. Especially with all the "most gorgeous anime ever" praise it's art kept getting. Great chara designs not withstanding. Still, great art is more than just character designs, and CGI was a real crutch for Gonzo at the time as so much of what they did could've easily been handrawn given the lumbering movement and so-on. It's gone from their trademark CGI for the sake of CGI to the hallmark of pretty much every mecha series nowadays, so I'm rather used to it (I'm rather amazed the new Evangelions aren't 100% CGI these days). I still shudder at that pointlessly CG, stick out like a sore thumb hanger shot in one episode.

Add 3-D into the mix, and there's so many things that could wrong here looks wise. Murata's designs lost in a wave of stereoscopic 3-D CGI... Rolling Eyes Surprising too, since 3-D TV's haven't really taken off just yet.

Might as well wait for some production screens though, as Gonzo had improved over the years. I don't mind CGI so much anymore as long as it's put to good use in movement and detail and effort is made to actually blend it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This news had great timing, I literally just finished watching Last Exile for the first time (well, it's possible I saw at least part of one episode on Anime Unleashed years ago, but I can't remember it clearly enough to be sure). Not so hot on the 3D thing, though (especially since 3D literally doesn't work for me).

wandering-dreamer wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
I confess I didn't care for Last Exile the first time I watched it, but over time when I watched it again I had a much greater appreciation for it, and it really is as wonderful a series as people keep saying it is. My chief hope for this sequel series is that it'll confirm that Dio spoiler[is definitely still alive, something only implied on one of the postcards in the last Geneon single volume].

I'm pretty sure spoiler[that one of the art books confirmed he was alive but I agree, some additional confirmation would be nice.]

At the end of the last episode, you can pretty clearly spoiler[hear Dio's voice exclaiming "Ascending!" in response to Lescius saying it.]
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The exhibitor notes at the Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF)....

Wait, I thought people were boycotting this for....."another reason." Why is such news being done then? Hell, wouldn't Last Exile be "Banned" under Tokyo's new Laws due to violence and the use of children in combat?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5