• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Lists Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing- for 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:
The exhibitor notes at the Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF)....

Wait, I thought people were boycotting this for....."another reason." Why is such news being done then?

About 1 in 3 exhibitors are boycotting, yes.

Sunday Silence wrote:

Hell, wouldn't Last Exile be "Banned" under Tokyo's new Laws due to violence and the use of children in combat?

Not likely. It has to be an extreme situation, and in such a situation, it won't be banned but rather be reclassified "for adults," so it would still be available, just not for minors.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
LOL. Am I the only one who didn't think that Last Exile's ending was bad?

No, you're not. People these days just complain if everything isn't spoonfed to them. If an ending is even slightly ambiguous, they refuse to use their imagination and yell stuff like "bad writing".

There's a big difference between "spoonfeeding" and "keeping fairly vital facts that the audience needs to know to explain the show out of the show itself." For instance, I really shouldn't have had to read a DVD insert to understand that spoiler[that big huge ship thingy at the end was originally constructed as an interplanetary shuttle]. That's the sort of information that needs to be in the series proper...it's just good writing.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Awesome ~ Can't wait Very Happy
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
Can't wait, hopefully it would be as good at the first one (Which was amazing).

Maybe this will make Funi push up the date of the Blu-ray of Last Exile release.

Amazon has it listed as June 14, 2011. I don't think it can be pushed up much from there...
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
naninanino wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

No, you're not. People these days just complain if everything isn't spoonfed to them. If an ending is even slightly ambiguous, they refuse to use their imagination and yell stuff like "bad writing".

There's a big difference between "spoonfeeding" and "keeping fairly vital facts that the audience needs to know to explain the show out of the show itself." For instance, I really shouldn't have had to read a DVD insert to understand that spoiler[that big huge ship thingy at the end was originally constructed as an interplanetary shuttle]. That's the sort of information that needs to be in the series proper...it's just good writing.

That's funny, because I thought it was one of the best endings of an anime that I have seen. Of course, I had read the information about what is stated in the spoiler block, but I had figured out spoiler[that this was a colony world and not a place where people were originally from prior to reading that info...]
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
Can't wait, hopefully it would be as good at the first one (Which was amazing).

Maybe this will make Funi push up the date of the Blu-ray of Last Exile release.

Amazon has it listed as June 14, 2011. I don't think it can be pushed up much from there...

I have it pre-ordered with TRSI and they lists that it will be released in December 2012 (don't know who is right) Razz
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
And if one looks at the listing itself, the release date has yet to be determined (I think 12/12/12 is just used to fill the db field), as far as Right Stuf knows. I tend to put more stock in TSRI's street dates than Amazon, personally.

But, yeah, since I also have it pre-ordered as of this last sale, I'm hoping FUNi gives us a more definite date sometime soon.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
naninanino wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

That's funny, because I thought it was one of the best endings of an anime that I have seen. Of course, I had read the information about what is stated in the spoiler block, but I had figured out spoiler[that this was a colony world and not a place where people were originally from prior to reading that info...]
Exactly. I sussed that out way before the ending without ever looking at the DVD blurb.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
That's funny, because I thought it was one of the best endings of an anime that I have seen.

Me too. I didn't really find it ambiguous... Considering the range of messy, inexplicable and surreal endings you quite frequently get in anime, if anything I would have expected people to complain that it was too neat/happy/mundane or something. I really liked it, anyway.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
zensunni wrote:
That's funny, because I thought it was one of the best endings of an anime that I have seen.

Me too. I didn't really find it ambiguous... Considering the range of messy, inexplicable and surreal endings you quite frequently get in anime, if anything I would have expected people to complain that it was too neat/happy/mundane or something. I really liked it, anyway.

Agreed, I loved the ending and got directly from the show the spoiler[ship's actual original purpose].

Oh, yes! The official site confirms that in addition those original staffers being back, Hitomi Kuroishi is also back to compose the music! Hopefully that also means she'll call back in some of her old Dolce Triade group too.
weiq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
the first one is epic enuff not to have another new series..

most of my friends actually hope theres a prequel lol
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
They should also make that sequel to Yukikaze while they're at it. Making a trailer for a nonexistent sequel just for the lulz was cruel.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What, the Mave-chan OVA wasn't good enough for you? The only anime I've ever watched, taken the DVD out of the player, and placed it directly into a shredder.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
What, the Mave-chan OVA wasn't good enough for you? The only anime I've ever watched, taken the DVD out of the player, and placed it directly into a shredder.

The Mave-chan OVA sucked but if they had went through with this (the second half; the first half is just flashback) I would've forgiven them for that crap.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm familiar with it, I have the BD box. But I doubt there'll be any more Yukikaze from Gonzo, even if they do manage to fully "resurrect."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5