• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Get Serious

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

No no no, he really does.

Firstly, he tries to debunk the column partly by siding with that other dude, stating how this game isn't a run of the mill button masher, and how it'll be better than that.

I said the game doesn't look generic, and that even if it was, theres nothing wrong with not showing originality if you pull it off well, which is why i mentioned ME2.
John Casey wrote:

When I call out on it, he tries to counter me, but for some reason, then agrees with me on how it is extremely mashy, saying that's gonna be why it'll be fun - completely contradicting his prior post. Then, for whatever reason, he never even finishes that argument, and out of nowhere, begins jumping on my dislike of Nomura citing that as what is wrong with my statement.

and heres where you put words into my mouth, i never said its gonna be mashy and thats why it'll be fun, i said it kinda LOOKS like KH and that KH had fun game play, that is to say, I enjoyed playing the game. YOU confuse your opinion with mine and then say that my post is contradictory.

The only reason i even mentioned your dislike of Nomura is because YOU mention it in EVERY FREAKING THREAD ABOUT THE DUDE OR ANY GAME HE'S INVOLVED WITH. God forbid anyone who says that a game that isn't even out yet, looks fun without you jumping down their throats yelling "fanboy!!!!!".

I thought this was fitting

Last edited by Animehermit on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

@AiddonValentine: You know what? Square really needs to give Tatsuya Kando another go. If The World Ends With You has proven anything, is that Kando is a MILLION times a better director, writer, and storyteller than Nomura or, haha, Toriyama, ever were.

So having to hit a button repeatedly in a game is the worst thing in the world to you, but somehow having to wildly scratch at a portable screen(Which is all World Ends with you was besides reams of atrocious dialogue) instead is good?

I've only been posting here for a short time, but it's clear you seem to be pursuing some petulant vendetta against Nomura from what I've seen. I daresay the quality of any game he makes is an irrelevance to you at this point, just so long as it's a game he is making.

Don't like his games? Steer clear of them and stop attacking people who won't agree with you... everybody wins.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
John Casey wrote:

@AiddonValentine: You know what? Square really needs to give Tatsuya Kando another go. If The World Ends With You has proven anything, is that Kando is a MILLION times a better director, writer, and storyteller than Nomura or, haha, Toriyama, ever were.

So having to hit a button repeatedly in a game is the worst thing in the world to you, but somehow having to wildly scratch at a portable screen(Which is all World Ends with you was besides reams of atrocious dialogue) instead is good?

I've only been posting here for a short time, but it's clear you seem to be pursuing some petulant vendetta against Nomura from what I've seen. I daresay the quality of any game he makes is an irrelevance to you at this point, just so long as it's a game he is making.

Don't like his games? Steer clear of them and stop attacking people who won't agree with you... everybody wins.

Agreed (not with TWEWY analysis, I've never played it). Stop all the hate.

Versus XIII looks good. I like the modern environment and that CG looked amazing.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Ugh, I couldn't STAND TWEWY, that dialogue just made my teeth GRIND. If anything Square needs some new blood and FAST because Nomura, Kitase, and Nojima have all gone or are starting to go to hell while Toriyama is a hack who is inexplicably given reign over big name titles. Tokita and Matsuno are still talented as they ever were, but there's only so much two men can do.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still a little annoyed that there's no MegaMan of any kind. At least give us Star Force or .EXE MegaMan. I know Zero is a nice addition, but he just can't replace the Blue Bomber.

Granted, I stopped playing after X4, so I have no familiarity with the .EXE or Zero series to question or contemplate how to translate their main characters into a fighter. Capcom's excuse has been dissatisfaction with how to make a Megaman that won't be a gamebreaker, or a let down to the fans.

If we stuck with classic from MvC1 and 2, we'd have a kind of mini Shoto, buster spammer. If we went with Volnutt from Legends, possibly based off his gameplay in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, people would think that recent Blue Bomber franchises are being ignored for older series, and the detractors of TvC would have a field day with this. Plus, Okami's Amaterasu relies on a a gameplay mechanic inspired by Volnutt in TvC.

The return of the high tier characters (Magneto, Storm, Sentinel) was where I nearly drew the line because 3 was to be a whole new experience, now it seems like Capcom is pandering to the elitist pros who made watching high level play of MvC2 so boring by using the same tactics and same characters.

Ultimately, where I would draw the line is the last minute abandonment of Frank West. To imply that he was in, but then suddenly take priority over characters and throw him to the backseat of their development seems lazy on their part, if not lazier than trying to figure out how to conceptualize Phoenix Wright as a potential character for TvC.

Yet this is not to despair, as this can mean a great possibility that if they had already been doing work on Frank, then the right thing to do (for fans at least, and professionally) is to finish him up and make him a DLC character. Granted, there's been great call for Phoenix Wright too, and Capcom has gone on to acknowledge the demand for him. Worst case scenario, Capcom could've (but didn't) delay the release date just to have Frank ready.

They say it's always darkest before the dawn, and dawn will come, really looking forward to MvC3.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Well, it looks like Spyro actually had games coming out as late as the end of 2008, so it's not like he really ever went anywhere...
As for Crash, Naughty Dog is onto their third series now, Uncharted, and I don't see them going back and reviving Mr. Bandicoot, considering how long it's been.
Personally, though, I wouldn't mind another J&D game. Lost Frontier was okay, but an entry on the PS3 would be sweet.

Dude, what are you talking about? Dawn of the Dragon was the last game he had in 2008 and there doesn't seem to be any plan on Activision's part to give him any new games.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dude, what are you talking about? Dawn of the Dragon was the last game he had in 2008 and there doesn't seem to be any plan on Activision's part to give him any new games.
I think you'll find that Year of the Dragon was the last Spyro game made. There are only three. No others exist. LALALALALA-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3