• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tongue in Cheek

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Also, more people here should check out Paper Wings co-host Lora Innes' webcomic The Dreamer, if only because its premise is effectively American shoujo (it's the "ordinary girl magically transported to another land", like Inu Yasha or Fushigi Yugi, except that this girl goes back to the American Revolution, and it's drawn more like a western comic than manga)

While I don't personally like to categorize of compare a visual story, you do actually have a point. The Dreamer is kind of like those things if you think of it that way. Although the whole "girl being in another world thing" comes from Alice in Wonderland (or rather I'm assuming it does). I think it was also in that recent webcomic ANN survey among web comics you read.

I just wish I would remember to give her indie comic more of the time of the day to read since I keep forgetting to. Oh yeah, speaking of shoujo! That podcast episode, The Shoujo Must Go On. I kinda liked that one.
Chrysalisis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to pop in and say that I've been listening to the show since the beginning and I've never had a problem with either of you guys' attitude or speaking style. So you're not constantly cheery - who is? It would be way weird if you were.

In fact, I appreciate that you talk about things critically, and often with a healthy dose of skepticism. Too many people in anime fandom are overly positive and accepting of every horrible-to-mediocre show that comes out, so to have some people who can talk candidly about this stuff is a relief. It also helps that you guys are hilarious! This podcast has been a highlight of my Fridays for years now, and I suspect that many other people feel the same way. ANNCast and the Giant Bombcast are my two favorite podcasts ever, and I mean that as a big compliment to you guys. Very Happy So don't change a thing, and don't let some of the weird opinions in this thread get you down, Zac.

As for some of my favorite episodes, other people have mentioned a lot of the great interview ones. I love the top 10 list shows because it's nice hearing you guys talk about shows you really love. Honestly, the shows I enjoy the most are the ones where it's just Zac and Justin talking about random stuff (and especially movies!). You guys are pretty entertaining on your own. It's kind of difficult to remember specific episodes that were great... there's been so many! Any episode where you guys talk about the new season of anime shows is pretty fun. "Spring The Pain" was a good one that I remember (funny discussion of Sengoku Collection, Upotte, and Mysterious Girlfriend X).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
While I don't personally like to categorize of compare a visual story, you do actually have a point. The Dreamer is kind of like those things if you think of it that way. Although the whole "girl being in another world thing" comes from Alice in Wonderland (or rather I'm assuming it does).

Well, blame my own personal snit… after years of Americans doing "manga-style" comics that aped the speed lines and other superficial traits while being otherwise exactly like usual American comics (think that "Marvel Mangaverse" fiasco), I'd been pointedly waiting to see creators follow the lead of manga and anime in terms of their storytelling. That's something I see in the core device of The Dreamer: what makes the otherwise Bea special is the fact that she's from another world (the present), pretty much the same thing that makes Kagome, Miyaka, Hitomi, etc. special in their stories.

[Maybe reading in a little too much, but Ms. Innes did have a page where a character in the background is conspicuously carrying a Tokyopop Fruits Basket manga, so it's not implausible to speculate that shoujo's been an influence on her.]

Quote:
I think it was also in that recent webcomic ANN survey among web comics you read.

IIRC, that poll added in new responses from readers as choices for future participants, and I wrote in The Dreamer, so that's probably on me.

Anyways, sorry everyone for the sidetrack. Going to bed now.

Last edited by invalidname on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
one, but maybe thats just me.

@Slev: Hmm, I can't think of the last time a video game made me tear up, but i haven't actually played through a game in quite some time *I won't lie I get really lazy when it comes to video games these days*

Hmm, what was it.... think there was a scene in some JRPG that got me teary eyed...wanna say Phantom Brave, but not 100% sure... Confused

Totally recommend Persona 3 and 4. They're probably the longest games I've played outside of an MMO in years, and my God are they good. I remember now that an intensely sad scene from Persona 4 last week got me all choked up...man that was hard. Some people complain that "omg i've been sitting here for two hours when duz the game strt!". Well, it's part visual novel, part dungeon crawl, just as a heads up. You said that you're lazy about games these days so you probably won't play it, but I preach the word of Persona wherever I go, conversions into the fandom must be attempted!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

I don't intend to be condescending or presumptive --- I only mean to express my impression of the podcast, either to help expand your understanding of your audience's impressions by adding my own voice, or to help my own understanding by having you and Justin put my impressions into the proper perspective. That's all.

Yanno, communication is difficult and people interpret things differently. We all have hangups and things that rub us the wrong way, people get insulted even when the intention isn't there, and we can't control how people perceive us.

So it's cool, man. Let's just chalk it up to the difficulty of being human.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yanno, communication is difficult and people interpret things differently. We all have hangups and things that rub us the wrong way, people get insulted even when the intention isn't there, and we can't control how people perceive us.

So it's cool, man. Let's just chalk it up to the difficulty of being human.

Haha, I totally agree with you. And thanks for being cool about it, you've helped to put my perception of you and the podcast into a more positive light, so I really did appreciate this discussion. =)

Hypeathon wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for in a kind of podcast other than it being anime-related. But may I suggest giving the Paperwings podcast a listen to if nothing else for something more friendly and light-hearted?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm always interested in comics and art-related discussion, so I'll definitely have to check this out. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I largely agree with your sentiment. Some would say that one of the big negative tropes of the 80's and 90's was the over-the-top violence (like M.D. Geist, A.D. Police and even Ninja Scroll), but it was a trope that didn't really bother me, and to a certain extent I could respect it as a reflection of the adult-oriented (not necessarily mature) nature of the medium. I'll admit with a stupid grin that M.D. Geist is kind of a dumb movie with a lot of schlock to it, but on a certain level I can enjoy it as hilariously awesome popcorn entertainment.

Well actually, I was more talking about all of the mecha stuff in the early 90s. I'd definitely call ultraviolence more of an 80s trend. (Or more specifically, a mid to late 80s trend since it essentially arose as a result of the OVA which itself was a result of the advent of home video technology). By 1990 though, that trend had very much peaked. Sure, we saw Ninja Scroll, which is very much viewed as the epitome of that era's lurid, ultraviolent action flick, in 1993. In actuality though, I think it was more the excessive, lavish crescendo to a trend that had otherwise largely died out.

In any case, I partially agree with what you're saying. There is definitely a certain appeal to that kind of super violent show. Some of them can be tremendous fun. Then again, I think there are a whole lot of them that are just horrendous. So I guess those ultraviolent shows are the most mixed for me. That kind of thing probably has a somewhat higher capacity to ruin a show than the more benign mecha tropes but nowhere near as much so as a lot of the modern tropes.

Anyway, unlike the early 90s, I do think the late 80s were a pretty strong period. What it lacked in sheer quantity it made up for in the sheer variety, experimentation and general economic excess that the booming OVA market created. We saw so many cool projects that simply couldn't have existed at any other time. It is difficult to say how it stacks up maybe still behind simply by virtue of the sheer quantity produced these days? Not sure.

Quote:
There are some good tv shows I can think of that were airing new episodes between 1990 and 1995, like Nadia of the Secret Blue Water, Samurai Pizza Cats, G Gundam, Patlabor TV, Ranma, Yu Yu Hakusho, El Hazard, Yawara!, Sailor Moon, Captain Tylor, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers and Sorcerer Hunters. And some good OVAs too, like Giant Robo, Tenchi Muyo, Record of Lodoss War, Shin Cutie Honey, Dragon Half, Battle Angel, Plastic Little, Elf Princess Rane, Golden Boy, Cyber City Oedo, etc. I've never thought about how it stacks up against the 80's though, I'd have to think about what shows came out back then and compare.

Yeah, it's not like there was nothing at all I suppose. I just find it be be a very bland period. There are shows worth watching but its mostly relatively conventional stuff. The industry just seemed like it was largely treading water. The excesses of the OVA boom had died off but TV was still largely stuck in the realm of more conventional, family friendly or teen oriented, often mecha driven stuff that had been a staple of TV anime since early in it's inception.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I have to say the thing I like about this podcast is that Zac and Justin are pretty much the only guys I've seen who can be cynical about anime but fairly respectful of it at the same time. For the most part when you see any anime related podcasts it's either guys being overly excited about everything anime related and hyping up even the most average stuff, or people who get angry over almost everything anime related these days and rave on about how downhill anime trends are going these days so it's nice to get something that's kind of in the middle. Of course I don't always agree with eveything on the podcast(Katekyo Hitman Reborn got knocked a lot of times on it, and it used to be one of my favorite series) but I've learned a pretty good deal about how the industry works from listening and it's always interesting to learn new stuff from it.

If I had to pick a personal favorite episode though it would definently be the one where you interviewed that guy from 4Kids. It was the episode that first got me watching the podcast and it helped to clear some of the misconceptions I had with that company(though I didn't have as much of an issue with them as the rest of the fandom).

Keep up the good work. Very Happy
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm always interested in comics and art-related discussion, so I'll definitely have to check this out. Smile

I would especially listen to the Brian McDonald interview, the How to Write Comics That Engage Your Audience episode and the Man Vs. blog posts.

Anyway, enough plugging another podcast. Didn't mean to get carried away with that.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
This podcast brought up a good point about comedic animes. I was introduced to Excel Saga back in my high school anime club (which consisted of all of 4 people) but never got that far into it and sadly couldn't attend the club much either (parents had some pretty limiting curfew) but I've been trying to get back into it because I loved the chaotic nature of the first episode. There are some good jokes throughout the first episode and kinda carry well into the second episode but I haven't gotten past that. While the stuff is zany and I'm definitely not against stuff like this (I love the insane crap that goes on in Aqua Ten hunger Force) it seems like 26 episodes is a looooong time for something like Excel Saga to go on for unless it relaxes its weird pace and (as mentioned in the podcast) level of volume of the characters. In the end, I might just watch their end episode that couldn't be shown on TV because it's just so over the top and honestly, I can stomach that for an episode.
Zump

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
My pick for best ANNCast episode would definitely be the Carl Macek interview. The Chad Kime interview was great, and the Colony Drop interview was cool too. Revenge of the 80s was my favorite of the Revenge series, since it highlighted a lot of little known anime from an era that doesn't get a lot of attention from fans nowadays. The Supernerds episodes are always great to listen to, because the guests answer a lot of questions both serious and funny (the "Can Golgo 13 shoot the Road Runner?" question was gold). Mike Toole and Daryl Surat are always great to listen to.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Started listening to ANNcast about 2 years ago,
Best "feature" episodes I remember:
"Revenge of the X0's" - I plan on referring people to these years from now as a nice summary.
Carl Horn in the USA- If this counts, I think you could mentally count how many words Zac spoke during this episode.
Tarboxed and Feathered-Between this and Carl Horn's rambling tale, I felt like the mysterious era of pre-sailor moon anime fandom was greatly elucidated.

Best Zac & co. I remember:
Jellyfish Princes- I was out for a walk when I listened to this, it was kinda nice.
Spring the Pain- Good shows! Bad Shows! Good Times!
I also like the convention shows, even if they don't have a lot of "meat" on them.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
....Also the manga pals episodes, I love me my manga pals. (Seriously, more manga episodes if possible.)

I'm glad someone mentioned the manga pals. Deb Aoki is one of my favorite guests. Her appearances always result in me buying more manga.

Mike Toole is always a fun guest. Great sense of humor and repository of knowledge.

Lord Geo wrote:
Since Zac & Justin couldn't say much about Gundoh Musashi, I'll add in a little more, since I actually took on (& survived) the challenge of watching the entire show. ....(snip) ... If anyone wants a more-detailed explanation of what's wrong (and the very little that was "good"), I did a very extensive review of it over at my blog...(snip)...

I would love to listen to a show that had ^this^ person (Lord Geo) and Mike Toole together. They could really make an interesting podcast about cool and unusual stuff that few people know about. --I highly recommend Lord Geo's blog, BTW.

And lastly, The Geneon podcast, along with the Carl Macek interview are probably the two best anime podcasts I've ever heard. I think I learned more about the industry in those two shows....both of them were awesome, entertaining and incredibly informative.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the whole debate about whether or not the hosts need to seem happier or more generous to those who disagree, to be honest the only reason that I listen to this podcast is because the hosts are occasionally irreverent and cynical. I find it humorous. Sometimes the anime industry (and its most ardent fans) take all of this much too seriously. Indeed, there is some truly awesome anime out there that deserves our undying love and respect, but there is SO much about anime that is just ridiculous and silly, and even though it can be fun to watch, I think it's important to keep things in perspective and be able to "tell it like it is." I've said before, my favorite movie reviewer has always been Roger Ebert. The reason I love his reviews is that most of them manage to wonderfully walk this fine line between criticism and satire. He is a guy who loves movies and loves reviewing them, but if you read a lot of his reviews, so many of them seem cantankerous. While reviewing a 3D movie, he bemoans the stupidity of 3D and opines that the movie industry is just trying to squeeze more money out of our pockets while giving us a sub-par viewing experience. He often makes fun of the entire horror genre when he's reviewing a horror movie, even while at the same time giving a well reasoned and entertaining review of the actual movie. I see this type of reviewing as not only informative, but fun and intellectually stimulating. It forces us to not only think about the movie/show itself, but also think about the broader medium of entertainment and the efforts of the people behind the movie or show. I strongly prefer this type of reviewing to the dispassionate and stale "some people might see it this way, others see it this way" type of review.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
I wanted to add my vote to the Chad Kime ANNCast episode as well. It is probably my favorite episode you guys recorded. And since then I had always hoped you would be able to get another Geneon insider to explain even further of what the business scene was like at Geneon in those days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6