• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron to Delay Battle Angel?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll say this much, if it is so difficult to adapt, take your time with it. I want to see it done right (as Yukito-sensei has mentioned) which doesn't mean PC accuracy, just get the heart and feel and style of it. Like somewhere between batman, firefly, and tomb raider (don't quote me on that)
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
You don't suppose that the reason that Cameron hasn't done a fiction movie since Titanic is because the studios are too afraid to hire him? Just about every film he did broke records for going over schedule and over budget. He was almost fired from Titanic. It was the highest-grossing movie of all time, but it had to be to make back it's phenominal cost. Believe you me, the two studios involved in its production see themselves as having dodged a huge bullet.

Having him on Battle Angel doesn't fill me with confidence.

------RM
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
James Cameron, post-Titanic, has the Oscar-winning movie director version of Attention Deficit Disorder, talking about one project he's "definitely going to make, for sure!" for a while before getting excited by the idea for another project he has knocking around his head, going back and forth between several projects, never lingering on any one project long enough for it to reach any substantial stage of production, other than when he plays at being a real-life Steve Zissou and produces another underwater documentary for IMAX.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So does that mean that any potential anime re-release will also be delayed?
shattercone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I got hooked on this series years ago -- and was fortunate enough to pick up the anime DVD while it was still around. The movie has me worried though -- they had trouble adapting the manga in the anime, I can't imagine the issues with translating to live action!! A combo of CGI, live-action, and in 3-D should be a visual tour-de-force.

On another note, did anyone else think Cameron's "Dark Angel" had a Battle Angel feel to it? I've seen rumors on the web that this was a test run for Battle Angel (rather than a rip off).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So does that mean that any potential anime re-release will also be delayed?

Doubt it. Or, at least, if it was, he wouldn't have anything to do with it directly as I honestly doubt the rights to the OVA series were included when 20th Century Fox "optioned" the rights to do a live-action version. They're two completely different licenses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
shattercone wrote:
I got hooked on this series years ago -- and was fortunate enough to pick up the anime DVD while it was still around. The movie has me worried though -- they had trouble adapting the manga in the anime, I can't imagine the issues with translating to live action!! A combo of CGI, live-action, and in 3-D should be a visual tour-de-force.

On another note, did anyone else think Cameron's "Dark Angel" had a Battle Angel feel to it? I've seen rumors on the web that this was a test run for Battle Angel (rather than a rip off).

Um, what adaptation problems? Most of both animated episodes could have practically used parts of the first two volumes of the manga as storyboards.

As for the "Dark Angel" comments, I wouldn't be surprised if he had that in mind, but let's also keep in mind that the concepts of a genetically-engineered or cyborg-upgraded female warrior is a fairly common one in sci-fi and American comics.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
so this really is going to happen? i thought it was just an idea he was playing around with?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so this really is going to happen? i thought it was just an idea he was playing around with?

Well Cameron has already said in several interviews that he his next film is Battle Angel heck he even commented in a game expo about a Battle Angel game being made for the next gen. But it seems with this recent news it's going to be his second film but I prefer him making Battle Angel movie first. Sad
shattercone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, what adaptation problems? Most of both animated episodes could have practically used parts of the first two volumes of the manga as storyboards.

Exactly so. The anime felt like a bunch of pasted pieces of the manga, not really a flowing series. I would've been a lot happier if they slowed things down and spent a little time with the characters, but I guess that's all they could do in 2 30 minute OVAs. Don't get me wrong, I liked the anime, it just seemed rushed, and definitely a condensed version of the books.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
The anime OVA of Battle Angel was produced pretty early durring the manga's lifetime, so there wasnt a whole lot of material to work with.

But now there is more than enough material to use, so adapting a live action movie that feels more complete should be do-able.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
shattercone wrote:

As for the "Dark Angel" comments, I wouldn't be surprised if he had that in mind, but let's also keep in mind that the concepts of a genetically-engineered or cyborg-upgraded female warrior is a fairly common one in sci-fi and American comics.

I think it depends on the angle Cameron wants to approach it. If he were to go use the original manga, that could change things drastically. I suspect that although he was inspired by the anime, he's probably also looked at the manga and prefers to use the source material. It's entirely possible he doesn't want to use another's interpretation of the original story in order to create his adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being so cynical, but after seeing so many failed attempts to Americanize anime, and so many Hollywood attempts to revive old properties in godawful movies, I hope he just drops the project and forgets about it... It was a great manga series, but I think the story could hardly be told in movie form even as a trilogy.

Compare the Ghost in the Shell manga to the movie and look at how much was cut out. They cut out too many main characters to count on your fingers... whittled the plot down to a vague wisp of what it was, and removed 100% of the humor and personality. GITS was one slightly thick book, Battle Angel is 9 books not counting the new chapters!

Maybe if he expanded on Ashen Victor, it could work, since it was a short story... but please, Hollywood, write something original instead of slowly dragging the entire catalog of existing material into bad movie history!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1