• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Fractale Stream Delayed by Storm Closure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
sorry texas, i got no sympathy for you. i've been dealing with ice covered roads all winter, and it was damned near -40 earlier this week.

although, watching texans try to drive around right now would probably be funny.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Next time Canada gets a heat index get above the 120s I'll have the same sympathy for y'all TJ_Kat.

Also, I'm mad that my university didn't even close during these rare 3 straight days of snow Sad

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
unready

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I'm in texas right now and form what I can see it that it's not that much of an issue of heeps of snow falling everywhere, there is like an inch at max 2 inches of snow on the road.

I was in Dallas one time when there was freezing rain, so 0 accumulation of anything. It started around 10am. By noon, all the businesses had shut down. I was going to keep working, because, holy freakin cow, it's just a little freezing rain. Then building security came by to tell me the real estate managers were closing down the whole building. If I didn't leave by 3pm, they were going to kick me out.

When I asked the dudes why everybody was flipping out so much over a little freezing rain, one guy said, "You have to understand. No one around here has snow tires."

*sigh*
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yes, we're sorry we only deal with snow one time a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
If their servers were down because of power outage or they lost Internet access due to down lines that wouldn't have helped. Besides, they've had security issues in the past and may deliberately be avoiding such a setup for that reason.

Watching about 2-3" of solid ice on my front porch this morning... so I'm really getting a kick out of the TX reaction to this.

I can see where you're going with this, but how could they put it on the blog if they don't have access?

So long as there's power for the appropriate systems, it can be done using nothing more than a smart phone and an RDP client (I've done so for clients on more than a few occasions in the past).

The important thing is that nobody is trying to brave the weather and do something potentially harmful (yeah, I might be used to driving in ice, but the guy who has to do the work might not be). Better to have a delay of a few days vs. the potential issue of having someone in the hospital (or worse).

That said... this seems like a good opportunity for Funimation to examine their current business process with regard to how they stream an episode and determine whether there is a low cost solution to avoid delays in the future. If the Annualized Loss Expectancy from an event like this is greater than the countermeasure, then it's a no-brainer.

Obviously, safety of the staff should be the paramount concern, but it's always a good idea to use events like this as a way to add resiliancy to any processes that the business deems as critical.

/apologies for going all business continuity on you folks... I live for this stuff when I'm not in the booth
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:
If their servers were down because of power outage or they lost Internet access due to down lines that wouldn't have helped. Besides, they've had security issues in the past and may deliberately be avoiding such a setup for that reason.

Watching about 2-3" of solid ice on my front porch this morning... so I'm really getting a kick out of the TX reaction to this.

I can see where you're going with this, but how could they put it on the blog if they don't have access?

My understanding from watching the news is that there were rolling blackouts to meet power demands. Usually when those situations occur, at least in my area, some businesses shut down during high demand hours.

Maybe the blog post was posted from someone's home before shutdown.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
No episode for Friday either. Sad It's turning into a long wait, when things turned deadly in the last episode the show become much more interesting.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

Work from home. It is possible if your company allows you access to their intranet.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Packers, of course.

Moe for the Packers and bishounen for the Steelers perhaps? Sounds right for some reason.

NO. I refuse to have a moe character as a mascot for my team Evil or Very Mad
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It got up to 56 today, and all the crud is melting off nicely, so FUNI should be up and running soon, I should think.

@ZakuAce - Aw c'mon, a moe character in a Packers uniform would be great. Imagine the publicity it would generate.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
Heaven forbid if One Piece is late Saturday (it wasn't), but it's now Sunday morning and they still haven't uploaded Fractale? How can they upload other videos, but still claim this one is late due to weather?

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3