• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clash of the Tytans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="vashfanatic"]
Krotchstak wrote:

Except I don't know which ones are stand alones, and with the few I've tried to start at the beginning, I've been completely confused because I don't know anything about the timelines and world history.

And yes, I did try watching the first series up on Crunchyroll, but for at least the first episode (which was all I could bring myself to watch) every last second of it was baaad. So... yeah, I still have no idea where my "entrance point" is into the Gundam world.

G Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam Seed are all available in America and don't need you to have watched a previous Gundam series to understand them.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Krotchstak wrote:

Except I don't know which ones are stand alones, and with the few I've tried to start at the beginning, I've been completely confused because I don't know anything about the timelines and world history.

And yes, I did try watching the first series up on Crunchyroll, but for at least the first episode (which was all I could bring myself to watch) every last second of it was baaad. So... yeah, I still have no idea where my "entrance point" is into the Gundam world.

G Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam Seed are all available in America and don't need you to have watched a previous Gundam series to understand them.

Okay, so you're answer of which series to watch first is... watch these three?? See, I don't think Gundam fans really understand just how confusing your franchise is. Shocked
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I hate to break it to you but war has been going on for thousands of years, hell if our closest relative the Chimpanzee is anything to go on war has been going on for millions of years. Do you honestly think that war is some recent development?

What Celestial Being wants isn't a utopia it's a dictatorship where the strong few (Celestial Being) decides how the world should be run. What about gun control? Is America forced to adopt other countries Gun Control or do we keep our own and their forced to adopt America's gun control? Are muslim nations not allowed to have laws based on their religious beliefs? Is cultural differences respected or are the people oppressed for having different beliefs?

People fight because they disagree, that's not a bad thing, people are naturally going to be different. What Celestial Being wants is a uniform universe where everyone is the same. They are an oppressive terrorist organization, so it's natural that they would cause an oppressive world.

I also didn't realize our current world was divided into 3 major groups, with advanced technology making energy not a problem and stable economies (at least for the Union, but I would assume the other two are doing just as well). So.....why is there still war again? And yes, I know our history, you don't have to be rude. Doesn't mean a good deal of humanity doesn't deserve a slap in the face.

How are they deciding how the world should be run? Nobody can invade other countries, OMG, what a horrible idea that will severely limit any productivity from our governments. Heaven forbid they have more time to focus on improving our economy, education, environment, etc. How is gun control even relevant, Celestial Being was out to stop war, not prevent minor criminal activity, that's the job of the police obviously. Obviously religious beliefs will be tolerated so long as they don't include "we need to destroy nation X and/or race Y because such-and-such-deity told us to". Terrorists will be rooted out and taken care of, an easier task once the world is united as Season 1 ironically showed us ("gee, with all 3 of us working together with Celestial Being, we sure took care of that terrorist problem fast......okay, back to being stubborn about warfare!")

No, people fighting is definitely a bad thing. Also, people would be the same? I didn't realize our individual identities were based on our desires to blow up some foreign nation we probably don't even know as well as we should. I almost think you're confusing Celestial Being with Gilbert Durandal's Destiny Plan from Gundam Seed Destiny. Now THAT would have eliminated individual freedom and identity.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are loads of subplots about the five ruling families of Tytania and the dynastic struggle for succession, but frankly, I was too busy wondering what kind of shampoo these guys use for their ridiculously long hair to care much about the battle strategy meetings (and there are a lot of meetings). Eventually I started to wonder if this is how guys feel when they watch harem comedies starring chicks with big boobs. Do you find it difficult to focus on the dialog when the characters are just too cute? Because I did. I was surprised to find that my husband thoroughly enjoyed this romance novel cover of a sci-fi series. He got into the plot and was never distracted by the ornate military uniforms or hunky men drinking wine.

Haha, this paragraph made me smile. Anyhow, trust me: if he likes Tytania he would love Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

penguintruth wrote:
Ugh. Tytania. Probably the most disappointing anime I've ever seen.

I wasn't expecting a repeat of Legend of the Galactic Heroes exactly, but they could have at least fleshed out both sides of the conflict the way LoGH did, developing all the characters. Fan Hyulick is a poor man's Yang Wenli who falls for a girl he met for two minutes and moping over being apart from her while doing absolutely nothing at all for several episodes. The Tytania family, while infinitely more interesting, could have been more developed, too. The little girl character that lives with the red haired Tytania guy is an entirely worthless, pointless character.

Ugggh. I find myself agreeing, unfortunately, and as a lover of space opera it kills me to say so. This should have been far better than it was. Tytania kinda feels like a half-told story that would have benefited a lot from another rewrite or two. Lydia (the little girl character) was clearly being set up to be important later.....but later never came because this show stops at 26 episodes. To me Fan wasn't even a poor man's Yang, he was more like Yang crossed over with Oliver Poplan, that hotshot redhead pilot. He struck me as too unserious to take all that seriously. What really drives me crazy about Fan and Lira is that Lira is the reason he has any motivation to fight Tytania. Up until then, he's just indifferent and passive. That speaks so, so badly about a guy who's supposed to be a heroic protagonist!

My favorite character by far was Jouslain Tytania (the red-haired guy). Interesting, intelligent, thoughtful about his place and the place of the Tytania clan in the universe, not without charisma....he was everything I wish Fan had been. It's unfortunate the show wasn't about him! Though I suppose one could charitably say he costars with Fan, I guess.

Megiddo wrote:
They certainly had other plans, dealing with the subtle differences with every country (be it religion, territory disputes, form of government, etc)... right?

Aeolia Schenberg did have more in mind. Can't see a way to elaborate without spoiling things, though.

Charred Knight wrote:

What Celestial Being wants isn't a utopia it's a dictatorship where the strong few (Celestial Being) decides how the world should be run.

That's demonstrably false, I'm sorry. You're describing what the Gundam Meisters went out of their way to fight against for all of the second season. The claim about a "uniform universe" with no individuality is also an absurd concept advocated by no one in the series.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Ugggh. I find myself agreeing, unfortunately. Tytania kinda feels like a half-done story that needed another rewrite or two.

I think the main reason for that is because the novel series that the anime was based on is not finsh.

Quote:
My favorite character by far was Jouslain Tytania (the red-haired guy). Interesting, intelligent, not without charisma....he was everything I wish Fan had been. It's unfortunate the show wasn't about him!

He my favorite character too; I even like Jouslain more then Reinhard from LOGH. I agree that Tytania would have been better, if it just focus on him. I like Fan in the beginning but not that much in the second half spoiler[ when he only decide to go after the Tytania family just because his lover died, before he didn't care at all]
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Krotchstak wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I read yet another multipage debate on the merits of a Gundam series and once more remember why I've never been able to get into this franchise. Nobody can agree on what's worth watching or not!

Then decide for yourself. Watch some of the more standalone stuff, and branch out gradually from there.

I find 8th MS team to be a great entry point into the UC timeline, that and its one of the best things to come out of Gundam. also it has very bitchan Toonami promos for it. For the most part I'd stay away from anything UC related as its very much a thing you have to watch in order.

Turn A Gundam is a great introduction as well.(this one is standalone, that is, its not part of a multi-series universe)
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that the usual Tytania and, by extension (almost inevitably so), Legend of the Galactic Heroes discussion has already come and gone, I'll move on to comment about something else in particular...

animehermit wrote:

I find 8th MS team to be a great entry point into the UC timeline, that and its one of the best things to come out of Gundam. also it has very bitchan Toonami promos for it. For the most part I'd stay away from anything UC related as its very much a thing you have to watch in order.

Turn A Gundam is a great introduction as well.(this one is standalone, that is, its not part of a multi-series universe)

...I would agree with you about 08th MS Team serving as a good introduction, but Turn A Gundam has very few things in common with the average Gundam series in terms of content, style or (at least at first) structure. In short, it's actually strikingly different from the rest of the property on the most visible surface level. That's not to say there is no common ground at all, once you really get into it, but I can imagine many fans of Turn A will not necessarily become fans of Gundam as a whole...or at least not for the same reasons anyway.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
What's the UC timeline? Shocked

Is there a.... tree diagram somewhere where I can see how this all goes together?

I actually did dl a bit of Turn A Gundam when its license was announced as a preview, though I've yet to watch past the first episode, which had no mecha in it at all and lots of great Yoko Kanno music. But yeah, I've been told it's atypical for a Gundam series...? And look at this: even as you all try to give me an "entrance spot," I get disagreeing responses.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
What's the UC timeline? Shocked

Is there a.... tree diagram somewhere where I can see how this all goes together?

I actually did dl a bit of Turn A Gundam when its license was announced as a preview, though I've yet to watch past the first episode, which had no mecha in it at all and lots of great Yoko Kanno music. But yeah, I've been told it's atypical for a Gundam series...? And look at this: even as you all try to give me an "entrance spot," I get disagreeing responses.

UC stands for Universal Century, its the timeline where the Original Gundam takes place. Once you map all this stuff out its pretty easy to understand actually fans make it harder to get into, but its pretty easy once you start watching. Wikipedia helps, if your still confused, they have a list of the UC series in order of the timeline. 8th MS Team takes place during the events of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and follows one of the Mobile suit teams stationed on earth. Theres almost no crossover or references to the orginal and they don't throw things at you that you won't understand (besides maybe if your COMPLETELY unfamiliar with the original, like whose fighting who, whats a gundam etc.)

Turn A is pretty different than the standard, but i was trying to point you towards something really good outside of the UC universe(which is kinda hard to find).

Last edited by Animehermit on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Saying G Gundam stands alone almost seems polite, but when the firing squad lines-up, it is best to standing elsewhere. Seed isn't quite standalone, as there is both Destiny and all the Astrays (hooray for the books getting the best storylines.) Wing is probably your best bet for a mostly contained universe.

Just avoid any movie compilations, and you should be fine.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
That Toonami promo reminded me of another reason I've had trouble mustering up interest in Gundam: I only occasionally find giant robots fighting each other "bitchin'." Please tell me there's more to this show than "unrealistic vehicles shoot at each other"?

...and as I post this, another opinions comes in. *sigh* Maybe I should just stick with Macross?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
That Toonami promo reminded me of another reason I've had trouble mustering up interest in Gundam: I only occasionally find giant robots fighting each other "bitchin'." Please tell me there's more to this show than "unrealistic vehicles shoot at each other"?

...and as I post this, another opinions comes in. *sigh* Maybe I should just stick with Macross?

most of the early Gundams involve a lot of character drama inter-spaced with a little action, 8th MS Team, for example, is more about the characters and the nature of war than say, shoving as much action on the screen as possible.

EDIT: also i should point out that 8th MS Team is about as realistic as Gundam gets with mobile suits.

Last edited by Animehermit on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm finally going to go the distance and make an actual thread on this in the main forum so that we don't use up space here.

Quote:
EDIT: also i should point out that 8th MS Team is about as realistic as Gundam gets with mobile suits.

99.9999% of mobile suits and other mecha designs in anime offer no strategic advantages whatsoever over tanks and planes, and their movements would cause their drivers to be motion sick etc. etc. read 20th Century Boys. Flag was a notable exception: tanks modified for mountain terrains, that makes sense!

Now, if it's powered by magic or ancient alien technology, my disbelief is pretty well suspended already and I can roll with it without batting an eye.

New thread here.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

What Celestial Being wants isn't a utopia it's a dictatorship where the strong few (Celestial Being) decides how the world should be run.

That's demonstrably false, I'm sorry. You're describing what the Gundam Meisters went out of their way to fight against for all of the second season. The claim about a "uniform universe" with no individuality is also an absurd concept advocated by no one in the series.

Did Aeolia's plan involve the force spoiler[evolution of mankind into innovators]? Do you honestly believe that everyone on the planet Earth would agree to that? In fact here's a link to some new information. http://z11.invisionfree.com/gundam00/index.php?showtopic=1114&st=0

I mean the first episode is basically Celestial Being attacking Europe, because their holding a weapons test. Europe didn't do anything wrong, the people weren't oppressed. Celestial Being simply didn't agree with them so they attacked them. I don't think that's how the world should work.

The series does nothing to suggest that the government can be trusted not to abuse their powers.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:

Yup, as usual Charred Knight's trolling and purposeful spread of misinformation of 00 is painfully obvious and dismissed directly by the show. At this point he should just go back to watching his precious SEED...

I think a good distinction that might help someone decide which AU or OVA they'd like to start with is if they'd like a squad-style that starts with multiple Gundams on the protagonists side like 00 or Wing or 08th MS etc., or one that starts generally with the the protagonist Gundam alone like 0083, SEED etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7