• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Anime to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Quote:
TV GUIDE, YOU’RE AN *******.

THE NEW SHOW IS… SOUL EATER!!!

We held it off for as long as we could, but we guess in the digital age, there’s no stopping spoilers! Anyway. The new show IS Soul Eater, and it begins when Samurai 7 ends! Promo next week. We love you.

-Toonami crew.

Why the hell are they determined to keep what the new show is under wraps as long as possible? Wouldn't it make more sense to advertise at least a couple weeks in advance?

It's better then what HBO does. "Welp, the third season of Game of Thrones just wrapped up, so let's start airing those ads for season four immediately!"
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am really surprised. That is an amazing pick-up.

Now if they pick up Toaru Majutsu no Index, my life will be complete.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So Toonami will be airing Soul Eater? Sweet!

Despite that I already own the series, if I have Cartoon Network I would definitely want to watch it on TV because since it's getting more and more rare now, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the series out going into the mainstream!

Hopefully, the airing of Soul Eater will gain new fans and that interest in having a a Soul Eater: Brotherhood type show will start gaining momentum because I really want to see the new Soul Eater series being more faithful to the manga this time around.

Despite my problems with the ending, I still enjoyed the series and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
simnys978 wrote:
Maka (the girl) is the real protagonist of the series, however, a lot of other characters in the series gets just as much screen time as her, both in the anime and manga, so it's easier to say that there are more than one main protagonist.

But, if someone were to ask me who the main-main protagonist is, it definitely goes to Maka.

Alright thanks, I think I've seen her working with 2 other dudes when she fights and they have their own partners. My question seemed kinda stupid, but it's good to know who the MC is before watching the show lol.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty awesome pick-up. I am really not a shounen fan but I actually like the Soul Eater manga (well, I like the later volumes, which is what I'm mainly read ... the beginning was more than a little rocky) a fair amount.

Maybe a Canadian station will pick this up now that an American one is so I can check out the anime as well (internet is too crappy for the other options out there, short of buying the DVDs themselves which I may eventually do).
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
halo wrote:
Why the hell are they determined to keep what the new show is under wraps as long as possible? Wouldn't it make more sense to advertise at least a couple weeks in advance?

They are terrified of the show leaking and everyone running to watch it on Hulu or Netflix.

Honestly I could tell you and even show you what the real reason is and yet I get the feeling you'll still stick to your own personal assumption.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I quit watching Bleach thanks to the fillers that were shoved in the middle of Mexico a.k.a. Hueco Mundo. Saw a few episodes of Soul Eater a few years ago. Think I might become a Soul Eater mark.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny people comments who probably don't even watch Toonami/Adult Swim. Smile

Surrender Artist wrote:

Then again, I'm not so keen on staying to 1:30 AM in the morning every week, so maybe I'll hope for Adult Swim to put the English dub on their website. (It's not on Hulu at the moment)

Just do what people in Japan do, just DVR it. But it'll be on their website as well since they've been doing that so far.

Mikeski wrote:

B) It's a network for kids acting like kids, as expected.

This would be funny too when coming from typical anime fans. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They are terrified of the show leaking and everyone running to watch it on Hulu or Netflix.

Quote:
Or worse, buying or rewatching the DVD or Blu-ray sets so they can watch anytime without commercials. Laughing

That doesn't even begin to make sense. The show is 50 episodes long, the moment episode 1 airs and every knows it's Soul Eater, they could run to all those other services and not have to wait another 49 weeks to see the anime in its entirety. This whole "SUPAH SEEKRITS PREMIERE" is kind of stupid. That seems like a lot of effort to make one episode a kind of surprise, but people don't want surprises in the world of DVR.

I also agree with sentiments that it should be on earlier. In fact, Naruto, Bleach, and this should be moved to before midnight, they were never intended to be adult-only shows and they never going to find their proper audience airing so late. It's an attempt to move in the right direction, but they're still so hampered by so many that I'm factors I'm surprised Toonami is still going.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
HELLZ YEAH!

NOW GETZ SGT FROG! *shot shot shot shot*

and now I'm reminded I'm deathly behind on collecting the manga volumes...

AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
Wow, I am really surprised. That is an amazing pick-up.

Now if they pick up Toaru Majutsu no Index, my life will be complete.

Pal, I like t he way you think, I think we can be friends Very Happy

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
WOOHOO!
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Called this like four years ago. I was waiting to watch it on TV.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
...Well, it had to happen eventually. The time slot could be problematic, though.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:

A question for anybody who watched this before. Who's the real main character in this show? I know the girl is holding the guy as a weapon, but who does the show tend to focus more on. Or is it that they're both equally main characters. This is a question from a guy who's never seen one episode btw.

Excalibur

I almost choked on my pasta thanks to you. Laughing

I'm happy that Adult Swim picked up a new title, but the time slot is not very good: it should be earlier. I wonder why they opted not to schedule it at 12:30 or 1 AM. (I'd think 1 AM, because yeah Naruto.)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's the real reason the Toonami crew wanted to be so hush-hush about oul Eater. Alright? That's their reason and not much else. No fear of leaking or any of that crap like someone else said. And I'm not interested in getting into another debate with whoever here disagrees with their way of doing things. I've had enough of that nonsense in previous Toonami-related threads. I'm just helping make things clear on what these guys motives are by having people hear from the horse's mouths.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6