• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Anime to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Soul Eater and If im up at that time bored with nothing to do I might check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Here's the real reason the Toonami crew wanted to be so hush-hush about oul Eater. Alright? That's their reason and not much else. No fear of leaking or any of that crap like someone else said. And I'm not interested in getting into another debate with whoever here disagrees with their way of doing things. I've had enough of that nonsense in previous Toonami-related threads. I'm just helping make things clear on what these guys motives are by having people hear from the horse's mouths.

Boohoo boohoo, maybe they should start advertising sooner unless they want their surprises spoiled.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Watched it, it was alright.

But since AS only airs dubs i won't bother rewatching it.

That's a shame; this has quite a good dub.

In fact, I was so put off by Chiaki Omigawa's performance as Maka I switched to the dub in episode 1 and never looked back. Laura Bailey does a great job.

Yeah i do agree that she had a terrible VA.

i was like WTF? But i pushed through it and i'm glad i did, the dub does not do Excalibur justice. All the other characters were pretty aswell.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Here's the real reason the Toonami crew wanted to be so hush-hush about oul Eater. Alright? That's their reason and not much else.

From that, maybe we can infer that they only signed the contract not too long ago and they haven't yet finished the promo for some reason, or they finished the promo but they're waiting for the right time to show the promo - but they got upstaged by TV Guide................

Kinda reminds of Japanese anime announcement "leaks" that get "denied" by the anime staff, but then later they confirm it when they're ready. Laughing
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Boohoo boohoo, maybe they should start advertising sooner unless they want their surprises spoiled.

Oh shut the hell up walw6pk4Alo! Just.... save it!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is good news, and JUST as I was about to watch it too! I guess I'll watch it on Toonami instead. Razz

Thatguy3331 wrote:

NOW GETZ SGT FROG! *shot shot shot shot*

Jason DeMarco says that Sgt. Frog is one of the best comedy shows he's seen, but he admits that it wouldn't be a good fit for Toonami. I agree. It's one of my favorite anime, and I'm hoping to see it on regular Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon (who agreed to show the series when ADV had it... before Sojitz happened...). It's perfect for merchandise, and it would work out well. It's not an action show though.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Quote:
TV GUIDE, YOU’RE AN *******.

THE NEW SHOW IS… SOUL EATER!!!

We held it off for as long as we could, but we guess in the digital age, there’s no stopping spoilers! Anyway. The new show IS Soul Eater, and it begins when Samurai 7 ends! Promo next week. We love you.

-Toonami crew.

Why the hell are they determined to keep what the new show is under wraps as long as possible? Wouldn't it make more sense to advertise at least a couple weeks in advance?

They do that so that people will actually tune in to that deadly shonen poison they call Bleach to see the new show promo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
From that, maybe we can infer that they only signed the contract not too long ago and they haven't yet finished the promo for some reason, or they finished the promo but they're waiting for the right time to show the promo - but they got upstaged by TV Guide................

Kinda reminds of Japanese anime announcement "leaks" that get "denied" by the anime staff, but then later they confirm it when they're ready. Laughing

Those leaks tend to be months up to years in advance of when the anime actually comes out, not two weeks. They're leaked because making animation requires several people through several processes, something much bigger than contract negotiation and editing a promo together. Maybe Toonami will try to acquire and reveal their anime far ahead of time now if they want to maintain pure control over situations like these. It's not a big issue either way to the viewers, but their responses seem to suggest it they believe it is.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
They do that so that people will actually tune in to that deadly shonen poison they call Bleach to see the new show promo.

I've honestly lost all tolerance I had with the people in this forum that piss all over anything about Toonami and quite frankly have come to expect much of the criticism about the block in this forum.

If you don't care for or like whatever Toonami does, then at this point it doesn't even matter anymore. Whatever Toonami has been doing, good or bad, hasn't put them in enough of a position that they risk "failing". And that's another thing. I'm convinced this bs about Toonami not succeeding really boils down to the logic where, "they're not doing things the way I want them to do it or I think they should do it, thus they're autromatically failing."
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
50+ Posts... the reason they held back so long was to generate this large word-of-mouth advertising among the anime forums spread across the web in a short period of time, as well as making the date well within the short attention span of most Americans so more viewers actually remember that the series is airing. Makes sense.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
50+ Posts... the reason they held back so long was to generate this large word-of-mouth advertising among the anime forums spread across the web in a short period of time, as well as making the date well within the short attention span of most Americans so more viewers actually remember that the series is airing. Makes sense.

That would have happened regardless of when it was announced for this title.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:

If that was the case they'd have aired it much sooner when Funimation licensed it back when the community actually cared about it since it was new.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to see "Soul Eater" on Toonami's Adult Swim block. I've seen a little bit of this and it's pretty good. Also,the fact that it's set in America is also something I like as well. It'll be fascinating to see the absolutely weird view of America on Toonami. I think it would do well.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I think there are still plenty of people that care. I've seen it before on Hulu myself. But stuff got in the way and I never finished it (plus I'm a 'stream only once, then buy if I wanna see it again' type of guy). I figured my next chance to watch would be whenever I got it on DVD. Thankfully that can wait now as I'll be watching.

Certainly not what I would have liked to see as the next 'new' show on Toonami, but definitely not a bad choice either. I'll just assume that they're still in budgeting hell for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good fit for Toonami, though I hope they move up the time slot. I never finished Soul Eater, so perhaps this'll be the perfect opportunity! Keep truckin' along, Toonami!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6