• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Corrections.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when you see that message it means there's a bug, period. Good thing it was reported in this thread because gmail decided the automated notification belonged in the junk folder :-/

Anyway, that issue is fixed now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
The release date for Vagabond 34 is 2012-10-02 in the encyclopedia, but is 2013-03-19 at Right Stuf, Amazon.com, and Barnes and Noble.

ANN Encyclopedia, Vagabond (GN 34):
release#20804

Right Stuf, Vagabond Graphic Novel 34:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/Hx98ZLwQMtFTbYKKfW/browse/item/95694/4/0/0

Amazon.com -- Vagabond, Vol. 34 (Vagabond (Graphic Novels)) [Paperback]:
http://www.amazon.com/Vagabond-Vol-34-Graphic-Novels/dp/1421549301/

Barnes and Noble, Vagabond, Volume 34:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/vagabond-volume-34-takehiko-inoue/1110502755?ean=9781421549309
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
The release date for Vagabond 34 is 2012-10-02 in the encyclopedia, but is 2013-03-19 at Right Stuf, Amazon.com, and Barnes and Noble.

Fixed and thanks. As you can see, the release date was grabbed from the publisher and/or retailers automatically, and once the field is occupied it wouldn't update itself should the publisher and/or retailers have postponed the date.

A similar problem: the description of this volume 34 is actually the same as volume 1; of course it's not true, but that's how retailers to "fill in" the description field (shrug).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Neither. An artbook should be linked to the format it originated from. That is, if the art came from the anime, the book should be linked with the anime; replace the underlined part with manga, novels, or games accordingly.

Great care must be taken when it comes to a "media-mix" i.e. cross-platform title. I personally own artbooks of Air and Aria from games, manga, and anime.

We don't have the CLAMP North and South Side anywhere at the moment that I can see - would be "fun" trying to figure out where to slot those. It is possible to connect a single release to multiple titles but still...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I got a reply from Vertical_Ed about what is contained in there upcoming artbook:
Quote:
Most of the art is from the combat books and the many character designers that worked on the vast Queen's Blade cast. Artists that worked on the anime also provided some character art and the setting pages does feature some art from the anime (but not that much).

So it doesn't have much art from the anime, BUT there is some in there. I'll show my bias and say that I want it in the Encyclopedia because it is material related to an anime being released by a prominent R1 publisher. It's also a popular franchise and the fans of it would very likely be interested in it, though they may not know it exists. The only reason I know it exists is because I saw it on TRSI's "New and Changed Items" section.

However, I do agree with dormcat when he says artbooks should only be linked to the material the art is taken from, and since the art is mostly taken from the combat books with little coming from the anime, I wont fight it if it gets rejected. If it's OK with the editors I'll add it in. If not, so be it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Neither. An artbook should be linked to the format it originated from. That is, if the art came from the anime, the book should be linked with the anime; replace the underlined part with manga, novels, or games accordingly.

That's true, but it can only take you so far. Most artbooks contains original high-res art which can't be traced specifically to the manga or anime. You might be able to make a distinction based on the artist and/or art style, but very often an artbook belongs to a franchise as a whole rather than a specific manga or anime. In that case it makes most sense to add it under the original work that started the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
We don't have the CLAMP North and South Side anywhere at the moment that I can see - would be "fun" trying to figure out where to slot those. It is possible to connect a single release to multiple titles but still...

Maybe we could link an artbook with a mangaka / illustrator? It is not uncommon with an artbook containing art from several titles.

Dan42 wrote:
That's true, but it can only take you so far. Most artbooks contains original high-res art which can't be traced specifically to the manga or anime. You might be able to make a distinction based on the artist and/or art style, but very often an artbook belongs to a franchise as a whole rather than a specific manga or anime. In that case it makes most sense to add it under the original work that started the franchise.

I'd say this happens most often with games, the type of original work we don't have yet. The Queen's Blade case is exactly one such example.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Queen's Blade was originally a game? No, a book! No, a game-book! WTF. Well, in that case putting the artbooks under the first TV series seems like the best choice to me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Oh, Queen's Blade was originally a game? Well, in that case putting the artbooks under the first TV series seems like the best choice to me.

The franchise started with gamebooks, thus falling in somewhere between a paper-based game and a graphic novel. To make things more confusing: most of arts in gamebooks were provided by famous animators / character designers, not mangaka or illustrators, giving the finishing a distinctive anime art style.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I keep botching the releases I'm adding because I'm stupid.

Bodacious Space Pirates - Collection 1 (DVD 1)
Bodacious Space Pirates - Collection 1 (Blu-Ray 0)
Those numbers after DVD and Blu-Ray need to be removed.

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl [Premium Edition] (Sub.DVD)
This one just confused me. I've noticed that there was a section for Blu-Ray + DVD combos under releases, and so assumed that this would just go there. Unfortunately it only ended up under DVD. I've actually noticed several combo sets that aren't under the Blu-Ray + DVD combo section. There are cases like recent combo for Strike Witches 2, but something like AnoHana, whose release is still fairly recent, is only under Blu-Ray, despite being a combo. It actually still uses the old +DVD trick. I was thinking that all combos added before the section was added would just stay the way they are since all of Funimation's upcoming combos are placed correctly, but that's not right either since the old Ga-Rei Zero combos (1 | 2) were placed into the Blu-Ray + DVD section even though I remember adding them before a combo section existed (I was still asking for one at the time). I just don't get what's going on with the combo packs.

Also, since we're talking about Ga-Rei Zero, this release needs to be fixed.
Quote:
Ga-Rei-Zero - The Complete Series (Blu-Ray 1-2 of 2)

That part in parenthesis needs to go.
OK, turns out there's about a dozen more labeled similarly (or at least from what I saw in a quick scan). I thought it was agreed that collections wouldn't use the numbering system, did that change? Another example is Steins;Gate where it's two releases read:
Quote:
Steins;Gate - Complete Series Part One [Limited Edition] (BD+DVD 1 of 2)

Quote:
Steins;Gate - Complete Series Part Two (BD+DVD 2 of 2)

Those # of # shouldn't be there, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
I remember now first coming across Queen's Blade as the game books through some nice art. The anime itself came as something of a shock ^^;

BSP done.

I was just planning to add Denpa Onna myself.. I've fixed it up, but had to enter it using the old "+DVD" fudge since there's no option for sub only combos. I don't think the automatic system works with combos either.

I'll look at the others now...

--edit--

Anohana is down that way because it is sub-only.

Going to wait for further input regarding volume numbers.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think the automatic system works with combos either.

But how are there some under the combo section, then? It's so jumbled right now. Cat Planet Cuties is another release from earlier this year that's properly separated into the Blu-Ray + DVD combo section. Meanwhile, Shiki, released the same month as CPC, is only under the Blu-Ray section.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think that just means an editor either entered or fixed them. I'm not aware of it ever picking up on a combo for me, but then I've mainly been entering UK and AU releases which are a whole different kettle of fish...

--edit--

Corrected the Shiki releases.

--edit--

And a few others I found through search strings.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
The three Madoka LE sets (1 | 2 | 3) need to be placed under the Blu-Ray + DVD combo section. [done]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 43