• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Status Check

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Kyjin wrote:

Is Star Ocean really dead? The Last Hope just came out a couple years ago, so I didn't think Squeenix had called it quits on it.

No, but tri-Ace did. They decided to end the series at The Last Hope because they wrote themselves into a corner with SO3's big twist so instead of just making interquels and milk the series (which would be REALLY tacky), they decided to end it.

That twist honestly killed it for me. I got so far in the game, but when I saw that I lost nearly all my interest.

Quote:
As for FF, it REALLY needs a big game that shatters conventions again. FFVII did that 14 years ago, but we still haven't had one that's done that again.

I don't really see this happening again, and I think one of the problems the franchise faces is too many are looking just for that and end up disappointed or annoyed when it doesn't happen.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I enjoyed this weeks Status Check feature. Since it seems some series were missing, perhaps a part 2 is in order?

I plan on doing one, in fact. But I'll probably exclude any series with fewer than four games, as well as action-RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and towering cultural monoliths like Pokemon.

Ranma824 wrote:
Biggest Omission from this column?

Hyperdimension Neptunia comes out next week!

All this talk about storied RPG franchises made Todd forget about the new hotness. Razz

Oh crap, I had that for the week after next. Tell you what, I'll edit the article and sneak it in this week. Don't tell Zac.
scrapps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I know you were probably joking, but I *love* the Kapool. It is my by far my favorite non-Gundam moblie suit.

It's so adorable.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I've lost some of my patience for rpg's lately, but I'm still really looking forward to the new Tales PS3 game. I might also check out that Neptunia game as well...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="Eivion"
I don't really see this happening again, and I think one of the problems the franchise faces is too many are looking just for that and end up disappointed or annoyed when it doesn't happen.[/quote]

Well it NEEDS to happen; the series has become a punchline and they NEED to get another one that's at least good after the twin disasters of XIII and XIV. They're really starting to annoy people and even the patience of the longtime fans has run out. They need someone with talent and they need it NOW.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
[quote="Eivion"
I don't really see this happening again, and I think one of the problems the franchise faces is too many are looking just for that and end up disappointed or annoyed when it doesn't happen.

Well it NEEDS to happen; the series has become a punchline and they NEED to get another one that's at least good after the twin disasters of XIII and XIV. They're really starting to annoy people and even the patience of the longtime fans has run out. They need someone with talent and they need it NOW.[/quote]
They will annoy people no matter what. The simple truth is that the fanbase has become incredibly divided wanting very different things.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the Lunar PSP game sell well overseas? I heard they were "pleased" but can't find where I read that. That would explain why they are releasing the Lunar novels on Kindle like things, I believe. But even then, Japan sales might have a bigger say in the possible remake of Lunar 2.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well it NEEDS to happen; the series has become a punchline and they NEED to get another one that's at least good after the twin disasters of XIII and XIV. They're really starting to annoy people and even the patience of the longtime fans has run out. They need someone with talent and they need it NOW.

Isn't it a bit over-dramatic to call XIII a disaster? Regardless of how much you may personally dislike it, it seems like it was on average, at least moderately well received. Underwhelming or disappointing would be a fair categorization but I hardly think it was a disaster. (Now XIV...that was a disaster).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:

They will annoy people no matter what. The simple truth is that the fanbase has become incredibly divided wanting very different things.

They have NEVER annoyed people to this degree. This is no longer about the fanbase being unpleasable or divided or wanting different things because people can at least agree on ONE thing they want: A GOOD GAME. Before XIII there has NEVER been this many members of the fanbase or critics crying foul and pointing out legitimately bad design choices and writing (Vanille, Hope, and Snow -pumps shotgun-). And FFXIV, don't even get me started, no one in their right mind can defend that disaster. The series now has a legitimately damaged reputation and Square is REALLY going to have to work to fix it. Unfortunately the amount of people at Square who actually have any shred of talent probably want nothing to do with the series at this point.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I loved this week's feature! Something about seeing all of these cool game series lined up like that made me excited. Makes me realize that as many RPGs as I play, there's still a few I'm missing out on.

I think a part 2 with some lesser known titles mentioned in the forums would be a fantastic idea.

Oh, and by the way, you forgot Ironman on that list of MvC3 characters. No big deal, he's not on the center of the cover or anything. Wink
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

What "cutesy DS SMT" are you talking about? Devil Survivor? Except for some slightly more youthful character designs, I certainly wouldn't call that game "cute" in any way.

I mean that's the game where a peppy girl tries to be a magical girl type superhero...and almost gets burned at the stake by the people she was rescuing

It's still lightweight compared to the other SMT games. And if you want to play this game of "well, here's a dark moment!", I could pick out a "dark" moments in any number of lighthearted RPGs as well.

But I was mainly talking about the gameplay and challenge. It's not really as hardcore, and more audience friendly.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

They have NEVER annoyed people to this degree. This is no longer about the fanbase being unpleasable or divided or wanting different things because people can at least agree on ONE thing they want: A GOOD GAME.

Please, just stop being "a part of the fanbase". Move on, get over it.

Also, XIII WAS a good game.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

They have NEVER annoyed people to this degree. This is no longer about the fanbase being unpleasable or divided or wanting different things because people can at least agree on ONE thing they want: A GOOD GAME.

Please, just stop being "a part of the fanbase". Move on, get over it.

Also, XIII WAS a good game.

XIII is still a good game, at least I think it is.

I know for a fact right now that I am going to get the DW: Gundam 3 game.

I am also go giddy that I can't wait until MvC3 is in my hands. I can practically taste it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Covnam wrote:
I enjoyed this weeks Status Check feature. Since it seems some series were missing, perhaps a part 2 is in order?

I plan on doing one, in fact. But I'll probably exclude any series with fewer than four games, as well as action-RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and towering cultural monoliths like Pokemon.

Yea! Very Happy Thanks, Todd.
How the heck did I forget about Wild Arms? Egad.
That's a fun series too.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
Any chance of Tales of Graces F retaining the Japanese voices? With today's technology, there's just no excuse not to. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5